purplera1n RC2 released by geohot

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
At about 5:00 AM EST, geohot released a new version of purplera1n, this one he's dubbing RC2. Per geohot's blog, the new JB version includes new kernel patches that resolve many of the codesign errors that were causing app issues in yesterday's version (RC1).

Also found on geohot's blog is this statement, "No winterboard yet, but now that ball is in Saurik's court :)".

So I guess here's the big question, "does the darn thing work this time"?

My first attempt at using RC2 resulted in the same springboard crash issue after installing iRealSMS. This was mostly expected, as I just tried to run the JB over the last one without doing a restore. I was hoping it'd work, but wasn't holding my breath.

For my second attempt, I decided to start with a fresh DFU mode restore. Once restored, I launched purplera1n at the screen where you choose to set your iPhone up as new, or restore from a previous backup.

Everything went pretty well... nice and fast, just like the last version. The "Freeze" icon appeared as expected, so I attached to my wifi connection and downloaded and installed Cydia. As was with RC1, I had to reboot in order to see the Cydia icon. This made me wish that geohot put a respring command into the Freeze app. :-(

This is where my disappointment set it. Sure, the errors during application installs are gone, but the springboard still crashes. I honestly do not know if this is an issue with the JB being incomplete, or with JB apps like iRealSMS and Winterboard just not being compatible with 3.0 on the 3GS.

So in the end, I sit in my computer chair feeling a bit bewildered. :-( I just spend a good hour restoring, jailbreaking and reinstalling apps, just to be left where I was when I went to bed last night.

Looks like 3GS owners just have to wait longer.

Last edited:

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
And the buck seems to be getting passed back and forth. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, we're stuck with a 3GS JB iPhone where only some of the apps work :-(

From reznor9 - "@geohot I believe that the vm_mem patch is missing... thats why iRealSMS wont work.. can you include this in RC3?"

Response from geohot - "@reznor9 it's in there, now it's on the app devs to fix their apps that use it"

Note: reznor9 is part of the iRealSMS dev team.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I tried the app and it seemed to work, HOWEVER, I cant get past the connect to itunes screen. I hope the dev team released the jailbreak/HACKtivate soon!