Can you jailbreak/unlock a DEACTIVATED iphone 3G?

mwg3c

Dec 16, 2008
Visit site
I am going to go buy the new 32 GB 3GS and sell my iphone 3G 16 GB. My 3G is jailbroken on the 2.2 software, but not unlocked. I plan is to upgrade to 3.0 and then jailbreak AND unlock it (so that I can sell it for more money).

My questions are, if I buy the new phone before I jailbreak the old phone to the 3.0 software, will I not be able to do it b/c I?ll have essentially an iPod Touch once I remove my phone number from the old phone for the new phone? So I?ll have to sell my old 3G as jailbroken without the 3.0 upgrade?

Thanks for all your help.

Christinme7890

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
my opinion

your situation is tough. I will be in the same situation when I get my iphone 3gs in from the ATT store within the next few days. Here is what I am going to do. First and foremost I will backup my iphone 3g on my main macbook. Then I will activate my new iphone 3gs. When activation is done I will take my 3g and go to my spare desktop (that I don't use) and install itunes and then install the unlocking software and unlock the iphone 3g. Then I have my 3gs activated and ready to go and my 3g wiped and unlocked.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
you guys are confusing me, do you use a SIM? When you get your 3Gs are you not just putting the SIM from your 3G into your 3Gs? The number and account is on the SIM. You can put a SIM into any phone and it will become your phone with your number and your calls will be billed to you. So all you have to do is pop your SIM into your 3Gs when it arrives and set it up. Then when the 3.1 JB is out pop the SIM into your 3G upgrade it, JB and unlock it and then power it off and remove your SIM. The SIM will work in any phone 2G, 3G, 3Gs it wont change anything if you swap it from one to the other. Unless the US system works different that is how it works here in Canada. I have put my SIM in many phones I've had the same SIM for the past 10 years.

mwg3c

Dec 16, 2008
Visit site
I'm getting a new SIM all together. I went to an Apple store today and they explained that I didn't need to switch SIMs when going from a 3G to a 3GS. My question is whether or not I'll be able to jailbreak & unlock my old 3G once it's been deactivated (so that I can sell it on eBay). Does that make sense?

texags08

Sep 8, 2008
Visit site
yes, you can JB and unlock your old 3G... You arent actually ever "deactivating" it... I did this very thing when i went from the original to the 3G...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OH ok I had no idea you would be getting a whole new SIM. Why are you getting a completely new SIM? do you have to deactivate the SIM that is currently in your 3G? In any case what I said still holds true once you get the 3Gs with the new SIM and it's activated that SIM can be switched to the 3G to upgrade the firmware and unlock/JB and then swap it back to the 3Gs.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2