Cloned "old" mac HD to aluminum MB= safe JB???

kbd517#IM

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
This may be a stupid question, but I need some advice. I want to JB to 2.2.1 (preserve baseband). I am currently JB 2.2. I just got an aluminum macbook (late `08 model). I cloned the HD from my old macbook, on which I successfully jailbroke my 3G. The cloned HD is now in my new macbook. I just read that the aluminum macbooks can't be used for JB yet, but do not know if that is a hardware or software issue. Because the HD is "old", is it safe to JB, or does the new aluminum body/guts mean I'm stuck?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
It's all in the drivers. Not what was on your hard drive. So yeah you are more than likely stuck. Now you have a few options around it but the easiest way is to use a hub.

Last edited:

willistoad

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
yeah i second that, the new 'ally' macbooks have issues recognizing the iphone in DFU mode. Using a hub will work
. I had similar issues when i updated to 10.5.6, but theres a automator script you can download to solve it.
Some people had some success with the new macbooks, but do this at your own risk, theres lots of reports of problems with people loosing the functions of their keyboard/trackpads!!!

kbd517#IM

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
Thank you both for the fast replies, I appreciate it :) I read the article, but don't really understand the whole hub thing (incredibly complicated was an apt description!), so I guess I'm stuck for now. Bleh.

willistoad

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
From what i understand all you need is a usb.2 hub (like a multiplug) to act as a sort of bridge. connect this to your mac, then connect your phone to it and jailbreak as normal.

kbd517#IM

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
Looking back over various entries here and on other sites, I remembered something. I used the DFU enabler automater program on my old macbook when I updated to 10.5.6. My two questions are:
1) Will this (automater) work on the new aluminum macbook, or am I confusing the issue?

2) Am I understanding correctly that if I simply use a USB 2.0 hub between my iphone 3g and my aluminum macbook, that I will then be able to JB as normal?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77