Install Error: "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."

john_v

Apr 20, 2010
www.vinniesphotos.blogspot.com
Install Error: "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."

So I had upgraded to Windows 10, then rolled back to 7. When I rolled back to 7, I could no longer get iTunes to update. I kept getting an error that "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable." It was looking for the file "iTunes6464.msi" and no matter what I did, it would not locate it. I even used Tools>Download only in the Apple Software Updater, to where I had the actual iTunes6464.msi on my computer and it wouldn't recognize it.

I didn't see anything here on iMore, but in an unrelated thread someone directed towards the Apple support forums, where I did find my answer. It solved my problem, and so I just wanted to share the links here in case someone is having the same problem. There's a little bit of registry editing, but it isn't hard even though it may seem a little intimidating. So if you're having this same problem with being unable to update due to a "missing msi file", read through the thread in the first link below, then read and follow the troubleshooting steps in the second link. It worked like a charm for me and now I have the latest iTunes installed and running fine.

Hope this helps someone...felt so good to finally solve my problem that I just had to share. After all, that's what this community is about, right? :D

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7246433?tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6562#msi

List Walker

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Re: Install Error: "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."

Hey bro, thanks for the links, finally solved the iTunes install error for myself as well. I would say the big takeaway for me was, that you need to open RegEdit and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Classes\Installer\Products\. Then put the focus at the top of that section, choose Edit | Find, set the checkboxes for Data only, and search for "itunes". That landed me at the key that was messing the install up. You Delete that key (the parent key that has the string of letters and numbers) and rerun the install and it freakin' works! : )

ReanimationXP

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Re: Install Error: "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."

Saved my *** as well, thank you :) I should have done this before googling really, but figured I'd find an answer faster this way. The user above has the correct instructions for finding and correcting the problem, with one exception - I would note that searching for iTunes64 or iTunes6464 depending which file the installer is asking for would be more accurate - just deleting things that say iTunes I would not recommend.

I did a Find for iTunes6464.msi under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products, and then when found deleted its' parent folder ( \Products\bunch of random numbers and letters ), and that fixed the problem instantly.

Thanks for the tip guys! Learn to code, Apple!

Erhaldo

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site

Hallo

Thanks so much for sharing.
It assisted me in finding a solution for the same problem.

Tiffany3

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site

I can't believe this worked! I have been fighting my PC for over 5 months, since the new windows 10 rolled out and your instructions worked like a charm after getting repeatedly blocked! Thank you!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pRose