Changing iTunes account; keeping apps, etc

emily0605

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I have always used my husbands iTunes account and we sync his iPod, my iPod and my son's iPod to one computer. It's a bit of a pain because that computer is becoming my son's computer and I think my husband will be getting an iPhone in November so he will have his apps, I'll have mine, etc.

I now have iTunes on my laptop, but it only has the music & TV from his account; not my apps or podcasts. What is the best way to handle this setup? Should I get my own iTunes account and he and I can just share a music library and have our own apps/podcasts? If we do that will he have to purchase apps that I already have?

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
the apps, music and movies are tied to the account. you can not get your own itunes account and use/play anything from a different account. you would need to rebuy everything

stay on the same account but sync from your own user account on your own computer. you can have up to 5 computers on the same itunes account.

then setup the itunes 9 home sharing feature.

emily0605

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
the apps, music and movies are tied to the account. you can not get your own itunes account and use/play anything from a different account. you would need to rebuy everything

stay on the same account but sync from your own user account on your own computer. you can have up to 5 computers on the same itunes account.

then setup the itunes 9 home sharing feature.

Does the iTunes 9 share apps/podcasts? I thought that, though iTunes allows 5 computers, the iPhone would only sync with one? I havent' tried it with iTunes 9; but earlier versions said it would wipe my phone if I synched with my laptop instead of the PC and I was nervous as none of my podcasts or apps are on the laptop...

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Does the iTunes 9 share apps/podcasts? I thought that, though iTunes allows 5 computers, the iPhone would only sync with one? I havent' tried it with iTunes 9; but earlier versions said it would wipe my phone if I synched with my laptop instead of the PC and I was nervous as none of my podcasts or apps are on the laptop...

the iphone doesn't care what computer it syncs to. it's by account. but it does sync to only one computer at a time

yes, it does wipe it. you want to copy over all your media, apps, etc to the new computer first.

emily0605

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
the iphone doesn't care what computer it syncs to. it's by account. but it does sync to only one computer at a time

yes, it does wipe it. you want to copy over all your media, apps, etc to the new computer first.

I'm sorry I'm asking stupid questions; thank you for your patience.

I currently have all my music and TV/movies on both computers. How would I copy the podcasts & apps? After they are copied to the laptop I can sync my phone and not care if it's wiped out; since it's going to sync to exactly what was on the PC and thus the phone. After that is done then I set up the home sharing with iTunes 9 and this will keep the media (music and TV intact), correct? My apps and podcasts will just be managed on my laptop from now on?

If my husband gets an iPhone can he use my apps or will he need to rebuy what he wants? I'm not sure on the licensing on the apps (if they are per phone or per account)

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
it's a very manual process

after that you work within the limits of home sharing

you can share only if you use the same itunes account. everything is licensed to the account. the limit is in the number of computers you can use with one account (5)

rkbrown81

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
I assume you can copy your app/podcast files from one computer to the other, using the same iTunes account on both/all computers. You're iPhone may recognized it as a new iTunes library and make you erase and sync your media back on. But if your iPhone and your computers both have the same media synced up, then it won't matter if it has to erase the media on your iPhone and then re-sync. Even though it says you will lose your data within your apps, I've found that the app data remains on the iPhone.

I'm not familiar with homesharing, since I haven't needed to use it yet, so maybe it does this very thing.

wabbit#IM

Oct 27, 2008
Visit site
simple way to copy apps is connect your iphone to your laptop, open itunes, and in windows right click the iphone on the left in itunes and select xfer purchases.

this should throw all your apps on the device to itunes, on the pc you want to sync with make sure you are logged in on the acct tho.

as for podcasts, not really sure on that, music is simple just move it around i guess you can move the whole libary across the network, or even better back up itunes on one pc and restore on the other. (not sure on this but it does sound good)

wabbit#IM

Oct 27, 2008
Visit site
if each device has its own, pc to sync with or each user has its own login on a pc, then only what is in that users itunes libary will sync, a.k.a music/podcasts/apps etc. under one itunes acct.

broxxy

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi my daughter has been using my I tunes acc and laptop for her ipod,I have now purchased her a new laptop for herself ,I wish to set her up her own I tunes acc on her laptop can she still use the apps that she has downloaded on her ipod on her own laptop if she sets up a new I tunes acc

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77