How to text a picture to an Android user?

stevex12

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
I have an iPhone12. FriendAndroid has a Samsung smartphone, I don't know the model. FriendApple has an iPhone, I think it is an iPhone10 but not certain of the model.

I often send a picture via text message from my phone to my two friends. The picture is always delivered to FriendApple. The picture is never delivered to FriendAndroid, usually I get a "Not Delivered" error message.

Text-only text messages work to both friends.

What's going on that I cannot send a picture to FriendAndroid? What can I do to deliver the picture to FriendAndroid?

Thanks.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Did you send the photo in a group text? If so, try sending them separately. I've had issues with group texts going to both iPhone and Android users. Sending them separately seemed to work better.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPhone12. FriendAndroid has a Samsung smartphone, I don't know the model. FriendApple has an iPhone, I think it is an iPhone10 but not certain of the model.

I often send a picture via text message from my phone to my two friends. The picture is always delivered to FriendApple. The picture is never delivered to FriendAndroid, usually I get a "Not Delivered" error message.

Text-only text messages work to both friends.

What's going on that I cannot send a picture to FriendAndroid? What can I do to deliver the picture to FriendAndroid?

Thanks.

On your iPhone, go to Settings → Messages and then enable the toggle next to “MMS messaging”.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Are your message bubbles blue or green.

Blue is iMessage, so that should work between iPhones and is free by relaying on your data package.

Green is sms/mms, that works for android however the photo/video will be severely degraded/compressed and might require an added fee/ subscription depending on where you are based and your carrier contract.

Good luck op.

stevex12

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
Annie_M: I have done it both ways. Sending a photo via text to FriendAndroid fails when I send it just to him or to him and FriendApple as the same time.

Just_Me-D: MMS Messaging is enabled, has been for a long time.

FFR: The failure is indicated by a “Not Delivered” notification below the picture in the texting app, it is not a bubble. There is also a red, circled exclamation point beside the picture.

The text messaging app I am using is what I understand to be iMessage. Its icon is at the bottom of the iPhone12 screen, a white bubble inside a green square. Is that the text messaging app I should be using?

stevex12

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
FRR: My carrier is Consumer Cellular. The pdf of the bill contains neither the term "MMS" nor "Multimedia Messaging Service". I talked with Consumer Cellular just now, the rep advises the account is configued to accommodate texting pictures from iPhone to Android. The rep seemed to know what I was asking but would not go into detail about what that configuration entails.

FriendAndroid has texted lots of pictures to me without issue. Further, FriendAndroid advises other iPhone users routinely text pictures to him.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
If you are talking about sharing photos that you have taken with your iPhone, go to your iPhone Settings, then Camera, and then Formats. Are you using High Efficiency or Most Compatible? The older Android may not recognize the HEIF or HEVC formats and may need to be JPEG/H.264.

If you are just sharing images that you have downloaded they should already be JPEG.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
If your plan is provisioned for mms then I would suggest you try this, no idea what else you could try.

Try disabling mms under the messages pane in the settings app, restart your phone and then switch it back on.

stevex12

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
metllicamilitia: Camera > Formats was set to High Efficiency. I changed it to Most Compatible, snapped a pic and texted that pic to FriendAndroid. It took a minute or two (as is usual) to display the Not Delivered message. Is that a valid test?

stevex12

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
FRR: My carrier is Consumer Cellular. The pdf of the billing statement contains neither the term "MMS" nor "Multimedia Messaging Service". I talked with Consumer Cellular just now, the rep advises the account is configued to accommodate texting pictures from iPhone to Android. The rep seemed to know what I was asking but would not go into detail about what that configuration entails.

FriendAndroid has texted lots of pictures to me without issue. Further, FriendAndroid advises he routinely receives pictures texted to him from other iPhone users.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
FRR: My carrier is Consumer Cellular. The pdf of the billing statement contains neither the term "MMS" nor "Multimedia Messaging Service". I talked with Consumer Cellular just now, the rep advises the account is configued to accommodate texting pictures from iPhone to Android. The rep seemed to know what I was asking but would not go into detail about what that configuration entails.

FriendAndroid has texted lots of pictures to me without issue. Further, FriendAndroid advises he routinely receives pictures texted to him from other iPhone users.

Try what I posted above and report back.

stevex12

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
One more thing: I have poor cell service at my home, so most of my smartphone usage is via wi-fi calling. I don't know if that figures into my problem, thought I'd mention it just in case. I cannot recall being away from home and using the cell system to text a picture, so I do not know if that would work or not. I'll try to test that later today and report back.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
One more thing: I have poor cell service at my home, so most of my smartphone usage is via wi-fi calling. I don't know if that figures into my problem, thought I'd mention it just in case. I cannot recall being away from home and using the cell system to text a picture, so I do not know if that would work or not. I'll try to test that later today and report back.

It might. You might also try Reset Network Settings. Go to Settings>General>Transfer or reset iPhone > scroll down to Reset> Reset Network Settings

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It might. You might also try Reset Network Settings. Go to Settings>General>Transfer or reset iPhone > scroll down to Reset> Reset Network Settings

Don’t think that would do anything for mms. But it will erase his wifi trusted list.

stevex12

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
FFR: "Try disabling mms under the messages pane in the settings app, restart your phone and then switch it back on."

Disabled MMS, restarted the iPhone, reenabled MMS, took a pic, texted it to FriendAndroid, got the usual Not Delivered message.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Ok.

Last thing to try. Settings> mobile data> mobile data network> reset settings.

Good luck

stevex12

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
Ledsteplin: " . . . try Reset Network Settings. Go to Settings>General>Transfer or reset iPhone > scroll down to Reset> Reset Network Settings"

Did the reset, took a pic, texted it to FriendAndroid, got the usual Not Delivered message.

stevex12

Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
FFR: I do not find mobile data listed in Settings. Could you clarify where to find it?

I am not a smartphone guru, sometimes I miss the obvious. Thanks for all the advice from everyone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2