Phones after the 5 can be moved to any carrier?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
We are looking at used phones and hubs said in his findings phones after the 5 can be moved to any carrier. Is that accurate?

If the phone is unlocked AND meets the carrier’s technology then yes. I’m not sure about now, but there was a time when you couldn’t use a CDMA device on a GSM network and vice versa, if I recall correctly.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
We are looking at used phones and hubs said in his findings phones after the 5 can be moved to any carrier. Is that accurate?

If the phone is unlocked AND meets the carrier’s technology then yes. I’m not sure about now, but there was a time when you couldn’t use a CDMA device on a GSM network and vice versa, if I recall correctly.

Many moons ago, CDMA and GSM were different, until LTE. LTE is GSM only and that’s why Verizon and Sprint have SIM cards now. As for using the device on another carrier, I do believe Apple started putting all the radios in all the phones. So the phone would need to be unlocked to use on another network. If you’re not sure, you can always check the model number of the phone to see which bands it has access to.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Many moons ago, CDMA and GSM were different, until LTE. LTE is GSM only and that’s why Verizon and Sprint have SIM cards now. As for using the device on another carrier, I do believe Apple started putting all the radios in all the phones. So the phone would need to be unlocked to use on another network. If you’re not sure, you can always check the model number of the phone to see which bands it has access to.

Thanks for the verification, sir.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Not disputing the LTE being GSM but Sprint doesn’t have SIM cards at least not in the removable sense

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll