Help me pick a protection plan for our iPhones!

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I have VZW, we just upgraded our phones and got a 5s and 5c at Best Buy. I was just curious to see what protection plan you guys recommend? I have 3 choices. We purchased the phones on 12/27/13 so I don't know how much more time we have before the deadline for a plan kicks in. I have 3 choices though.

The Best Buy protection plan, Verizon Wireless TEC plan or AppleCare+. What do you think is best?

I currently have the TEC plan from VZW. I had a HTC Rezound and the TEC plan was on that line for $8 I believe. Once I upgraded to the iPhone through BB, my plan changed to the TEC plan for the iPhone which is now $9.99 if I remember correctly. Anyways, I can cancel it anytime. My wife's phone doesn't have the TEC, that it why were trying to figure out what PP to get for our phones.

We currently have AC+ for our iPad Air but it was a spur of the moment buy since I was in the Apple Store.

Thanks everyone.

Edit: I also saw SquareTrade and Protect your Bubble.

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I purchsaed my Wife and I iPhone's from Verizon and I elected to go with AC+, but I really don't know about the other two you mentioned. You have 30 days from original purchase date to get AC+. For me AC+ was better for my needs

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I just prefer what i have been using on all my iPhones and that is Applecare + and while it might not be the best and others have different aspects that make it better, Applecare + is with Apple so I like that part of it. Just my take on it.

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting confused between all theses insurances and all these numbers being thrown around. I'm down to just two, AC and SquareTrade, I need to pick one by end of day. Let me know if I'm understanding these correctly.

AC. I pay $100 up front for the insurance (2 years), if my phone breaks I pay them $79 for a new or refurb iPhone. 2 claims allowed total. I can simply walk into any Apple store and leave with a replacement that day.

ST. I pay $100 (price is from Amazon) up front for the insurance (2 years). If my phone breaks I pay a deductible of $75. I have a total of 4 claims vs AC 2. I then read somewhere there are 2 or 3 ways to get the replacement.
A) Take the damaged phone to an Apple store, pay the deductible plus the cost of the 5s replacement (no clue what that is). I then get reimbursed for the phone minus the $75.
B) They send me a replacement overnight for $75 and then I ship them back the broken one. Is it $75 or $99?
C) Cant remember.

I'm probably getting this all twisted so just let me know how wrong in have it lol. I always thought that, I'll use AC as an example, I pay $99 up front for 2 years of insurance then if my phone breaks I got to pay $99 + $79 for each replacement.

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting confused between all theses insurances and all these numbers being thrown around. I'm down to just two, AC and SquareTrade, I need to pick one by end of day. Let me know if I'm understanding these correctly.

AC. I pay $100 up front for the insurance (2 years), if my phone breaks I pay them $79 for a new or refurb iPhone. 2 claims allowed total. I can simply walk into any Apple store and leave with a replacement that day.

ST. I pay $100 (price is from Amazon) up front for the insurance (2 years). If my phone breaks I pay a deductible of $75. I have a total of 4 claims vs AC 2. I then read somewhere there are 2 or 3 ways to get the replacement.
A) Take the damaged phone to an Apple store, pay the deductible plus the cost of the 5s replacement (no clue what that is). I then get reimbursed for the phone minus the $75.
B) They send me a replacement overnight for $75 and then I ship them back the broken one. Is it $75 or $99?
C) Cant remember.

I'm probably getting this all twisted so just let me know how wrong in have it lol. I always thought that, I'll use AC as an example, I pay $99 up front for 2 years of insurance then if my phone breaks I got to pay $99 + $79 for each replacement.

AC is $99 up front and only charges $79(up to 2 times) if you physically damage the phone. For normal problems they will still swap it out an infinite number of times for 2 years.

Square trade:
-first things first, the amazon price does not apply to you according to square trade customer service. The amazon price is discounted for other purchases on amazon. Just call customer service and they will match Amazon's price.
-you can also pay monthly if that is your thing. So either the upfront payment or monthly payment plus your deductible. I do not know the max number of incedents you can claim
-I am pretty sure this does not cover software(think I read it somewhere, but I am not 100%) so after your 1 year factory warranty no more free appointments at the apple store.
-if you have a problem, you can call square trade to get a pre-authorization to get it repaired at a local apple store. You pay for the repair an square trade will cut you a check...but I do not know how long it takes and you need the preauthorization or they won't cover it.
-square trade will also swap the device for you via mail
-doesn't cover theft, but neither does Apple care

I have used apple care on my iPhone an ipad with no issues. I used square trade for my Mac BC it covers accidental damage and ac does not on macs. Both are great choices, just personal preference.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

mbar9607

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I dropped my insurance with Verizon and just got a good case and figured I'm not rough on my device so I'd be just fine with a good case and screen protector

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
AC is $99 up front and only charges $79(up to 2 times) if you physically damage the phone. For normal problems they will still swap it out an infinite number of times for 2 years.

Square trade:
-first things first, the amazon price does not apply to you according to square trade customer service. The amazon price is discounted for other purchases on amazon. Just call customer service and they will match Amazon's price.
-you can also pay monthly if that is your thing. So either the upfront payment or monthly payment plus your deductible. I do not know the max number of incedents you can claim
-I am pretty sure this does not cover software(think I read it somewhere, but I am not 100%) so after your 1 year factory warranty no more free appointments at the apple store.
-if you have a problem, you can call square trade to get a pre-authorization to get it repaired at a local apple store. You pay for the repair an square trade will cut you a check...but I do not know how long it takes and you need the preauthorization or they won't cover it.
-square trade will also swap the device for you via mail
-doesn't cover theft, but neither does Apple care

I have used apple care on my iPhone an ipad with no issues. I used square trade for my Mac BC it covers accidental damage and ac does not on macs. Both are great choices, just personal preference.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

The reason I mentioned Amazon is bc I have an Amazon store card, I was going to purchase 2 protection plans and put it on the card, I don't have the $200 cash right now for two phones. With AC I was going to put the 2 protection plans on my Barclay (Apple) card. So ST might be out of the question then if I have to order over the phone. What do you mean you need a preauthorization? You say I pay for the repair and get reimbursed. Do I have yo pay $100 every time I file a claim with ST? Say my iPhone breaks how much do I pay for the new iPhone, the deductible or whatever? Is it determined by the damage to the phone? On the st website is says 4 claims.

So with AC I pay $79 no matter what the damage is, whether the screen is just cracked, or it's a battery issue, etc.?

And both don't cover lost or stolen, correct? I just want the option which will get me a replant the fastest or a repair the quickest. With ST I can leave the Apple store with a replacement the same day?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I would go with AppleCare. I have had such good experiences with the service that I would have no reason to look elsewhere.

Sent using Tapatalk

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
What is so bad about SquareTrade? It seems like people only choose AC b/c of the name and that it's directly connected to Apple. If that is the only reason, then I dont know.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
What is so bad about SquareTrade? It seems like people only choose AC b/c of the name and that it's directly connected to Apple. If that is the only reason, then I dont know.

I have never used Squaretrade but obviously a lot of people go that route. I suggested AppleCare based off my good experience with it. You may find an equally good experience with SquareTrade. Hopefully someone with experience with them will add something here for you. Good luck.

Sent using Tapatalk

budmonster

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I have never used Squaretrade but obviously a lot of people go that route. I suggested AppleCare based off my good experience with it. You may find an equally good experience with SquareTrade. Hopefully someone with experience with them will add something here for you. Good luck.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input I guess I'll just go with AppleCare it seems like everybody is choosing that one and I guess I'm just overreacting with
Square trade. I do have one last question.

I have to call Apple and they do some kind of diagnostic test on our phones before they can approve the AC. If I jailbreak now will that effect there testing? Should I jailbreak after I purchase AppleCare?

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Say if you lost your iPhone. Your carrier would replace it from $150-$200. AppleCare won't do a thing to replace theft. There's your answer lol.

Sent from my Black iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 😊

wildmangk

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I think BestBuy has the best protection plan. No deductibles and it covers accidental damage. They say its better than apple care because it covers more.

Sent from my iPad mini with retina

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2