First impressions: Stainless steel edges feel more "grippier" and other things

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
One thing that jumps out at me so far is how the stainless steel edges on my Max don't feel nearly as slippery, if it all, than it did on my silver X even when I first got the X.

Anyone else experiencing this? I happen to have the gold model, which as it turns out, isn't nearly as tacky as the promo photos show it to be. It's actually very nice and classy. I'll eat my bowl of caca for judging it before I saw it in person.

Last edited:

nokia4life

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is it just me or do the stainless steel edges feel more "grippy" than the X's?

One thing that jumps out at me so far is how the stainless steel edges on my Max don't feel nearly as slippery, if it all, than it did on my silver X even when I first got the X.

Anyone else experiencing this? I happen to have the gold model, which as it turns out, isn't nearly as tacky as the promo photos show it to be. It's actually very nice and classy. I'll eat my bowl of caca for judging it before I saw it in person.

Agree so far, I have no case or anything figure I would sport it naked until this weekend for this very reason and it does feel a bit grippy vs the iphone x.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Re: Is it just me or do the stainless steel edges feel more "grippy" than the X's?

Agree so far, I have no case or anything figure I would sport it naked until this weekend for this very reason and it does feel a bit grippy vs the iphone x.

Hopefully not just a placebo effect for us lol

But the slipperiness is something that always jumps out at me on day one.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

true. The grip is more noticeable than the X. I’m glad they kept up with the 458ppi too

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

true. The grip is more noticeable than the X. I’m glad they kept up with the 458ppi too

Last year when I got the X I wasn't feeling this satisfied with it as I am now. I think I got it with a "going with the motions" type attitude since I usually get the latest and greatest from Apple. But I never felt truly satisfied with it and would always go use my 8 Plus instead.

Today now that I'm using the Max, I instantly feel satisfied and have that same exact feeling that I did when the 6 Plus was released. It's the bigger screen. And now it's freaking edge to edge and I can't get enough.

lol.jpg

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
And now the countdown for apps to be updated for the screen resolution on this device. The scaling stands out a lot to me. I'm sure it's different for others, but it's just something I look for.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
@BreakingKayfabe to confirm, how slippery is the back of the device?
For YEARS, I have wished for the feel of the square iPhone (remember the one with the squarish sides?), no case was needed for that one.

For me, it would be great if a case was not compulsory...!

It's "sticky" at first but using it throughout the day today it has gotten the feel of glass like it should especially with hot/sweaty palms.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
So I've never really been fully on board with Face ID because of my experience with it on the iPhone X. It felt slow and sluggish at times seeing as I was coming off of 2 years with 2nd-gen Touch ID. I was more skeptical about Face ID coming into this phone considering that the hardware was the same as last year's. I have to say the slightly faster Face ID that Apple pointed out has been real for me. I have no complaints with Face ID's speediness right now.

Those S-O-B's at Apple got me again, man.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
So I've never really been fully on board with Face ID because of my experience with it on the iPhone X. It felt slow and sluggish at times seeing as I was coming off of 2 years with 2nd-gen Touch ID. I was more skeptical about Face ID coming into this phone considering that the hardware was the same as last year's. I have to say the slightly faster Face ID that Apple pointed out has been real for me. I have no complaints with Face ID's speediness right now.

Those S-O-B's at Apple got me again, man.

The hardware, particularly DSP, is completely different on this year's phone.
That's always been an issue with Apple, things on the outside hardly change but the inside most definitely is upgraded!

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I am crazy about this gold color. Last years gold on the 8Plus did nothing for me. But this one, wow! That pearly iridescence is gorgeous.

I came from the 8Plus (silver) and wanted to try the smaller size since everything else is equal this time, for a change. However I do wonder if I should have stayed with the larger size and gone with the Max. This Xs feels so small, but the screen is beautiful and I actually find typing easier, for my hands anyway.

Since I upgrade every year I’m going to stay with this size, I think, but will probably go big again next year.

But what a beautiful piece of hardware!

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I do find the glass and the stainless steel on the Max to be way more grippier than it is on the X. It’s very nice to hold and use without a case.