Pre-ordering from Apple: shipping vs picking up in store

gabbott

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to do the iPhone upgrade program for the first time this year. Will be preordering online. Thoughts on shipping vs picking up in store? What shipping speed do they use?

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to do the iPhone upgrade program for the first time this year. Will be preordering online. Thoughts on shipping vs picking up in store? What shipping speed do they use?
This year I'm 100% sure theyll have phones available for pickup on the 21 so I'm not doing the shipping. Shipping is better I feel though. I think 2-3 day FedEx shipping

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
Shipping is better if you are preordering. Previous years , for T-Mobile, the only option was store pickup even if you had preordered and that usually is hectic and you need to stand in line at a specific time allotted to you.

Apple Stores do not allow walk ins in the first few weeks so you have to book a time.

This year, for T-Mobile, Apple can ship to you so will certainly choose that option for my pre-order.

DarkKnight08

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have done in store pickup the last three years. I’ve considered shipping but I go for the whole experience. The Apple store I go to has it well organized with coffee and muffins or such for those with early pickup times.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I wasn’t planning on upgrading but I’m taking it the max this year. In store pick up for me. Do we know if there will be two version (intel va Qualcomm)?

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
This was my experience when I ordered the iPhone X last year: I had some issues with placing my order in a timely fashion as Apple’s servers were busy with a lot traffic, so by the time I was able to choose between delivery or in store pick up, delivery was pushed out to the middle of December (as the first day to order/street date of the X was on 11/3/17), or I could go with the in store pick up on the day of (11/3). Needless to say that when I saw that I could get it on the 3rd in store, that is what I chose. If you choose to go that route, you’ll be able to select a check in window time, when you can go and pick up your new phone. When I placed my order I had pretty much the whole day to choose from for a window, so I went with a time in the afternoon (after work). Depending on when you place your order, there may be less time ranges to choose from. When I got there around 5:30pm that day, the walk in line was a good 30-40 people still, and was slower moving than the the line for people who had ordered for in store pick up. That line (mine) was around 6-8 or so of us. I arrived a little early, so one or two people who were still in the pick up window that was before mine and had just arrived, were moved ahead of those of us that were in the upcoming window. There was like a 5 minutes or so overlap where the earlier window people were bumped ahead of those of us with the next pick up window. Even still, the order/preorder line was a much faster moving line than the walk ins. When it’s your turn, the line usher/concierge will hand you over to an associate who will handle your purchase - they’ll confirm the details of the phone you ordered (color, storage size, carrier, do you want AppleCare, and so on), your method of payment, and whether you want to activate the phone in store, or activate it later (say at home from a back up). I don’t think that I was charged for the phone until actually picking it up at that time. Overall, normally I would choose for delivery, as it’s more convenient for me to receive it at home as every other time that I’ve ordered an iPhone and was given an eta of receiving them on the street date, I’ve always gotten them the day of. However, I had a nice time at the Apple Store, as it was interesting to see and feel the launch day buzz in there, even with it having been so late in that day. If you’re able to order and receive a launch day delivery date of Friday the 21st, I’d say to look for Wednesday the 19th to start seeing some shipment action/notifications. Good luck and ✌️.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I wasn’t planning on upgrading but I’m taking it the max this year. In store pick up for me. Do we know if there will be two version (intel va Qualcomm)?

The rumors I’ve read, and also one of the Apple centric blogs coverage of the event today, quoted someone’s tweet from the media hands on that was after the keynote as stating that it is only intel modems for this year’s devices: iPhone Xs, Xs Max, and XR.

Last edited:

gabbott

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input everyone! I think I'd rather do shipping if the dates between shipping and store pickup are similar. Sounds like when I go through pre-order I'll be able to see what the timeframe is for each method and can chose then.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I’ve preordered since the 5s and I’ve always had it delivered.

Nothing easier than to preorder from home and then wait for the truck on launch day.

*IF* I lived close to a store I’d pick up, maybe. But honestly I like the no drama option best.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the input everyone! I think I'd rather do shipping if the dates between shipping and store pickup are similar. Sounds like when I go through pre-order I'll be able to see what the timeframe is for each method and can chose then.

Apple times shipping so the phone should show up on release day. In fact, I seem to recall the phones are even "pre-shipped" -- basically Apple loads a pallet with the phones for a specific city/area and on arrival, are held until release day and only then delivered (to ensure they arrive on release day and don't arrive early) . So, the only difference between in store and shipping is what time the truck stops by your house (and if someone will be home) vs. what time your appointment is at the Apple Store.

tmadsen

May 28, 2009
Visit site
Quick question, since I’m unsure this late at night, but if it’s shipped, will they deliver to the leasing office and have them sign for the signature? I’m working on launch day and probably won’t get home until after 8pm.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I’ve done both but am having it shipped this year. The last two times I’ve gone to the store to get my pre-order, it has been a bad experience. Disorganized and took forever. They didn’t really look at your reservation time so people with later reservation times than you were way in front of you bc they showed up hours earlier. It was stupid. I now just wait in the comfort of my living room.

DarkKnight08

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I’ve done both but am having it shipped this year. The last two times I’ve gone to the store to get my pre-order, it has been a bad experience. Disorganized and took forever. They didn’t really look at your reservation time so people with later reservation times than you were way in front of you bc they showed up hours earlier. It was stupid. I now just wait in the comfort of my living room.

That’s too bad. The main reason I do in store pickup is because of the experience. The store I go to does a great job lining people up by their times. Two years ago a woman with an 11 am pickup time showed up at 8 am. She kept getting bumped back and kept expressing her frustration. The staff explained to her that she picked her time and she would only go earlier if there was no one with an earlier time before her.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
This is the 1st time I’ve attempted a preorder and successfully got mine in from  to be delivered by 2018-09-21.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I’m going to be sick next Friday.

It’s OK. I’ve got 422 hours of sick leave accumulated. Ppppffftttt....

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I do in store pickup for first thing in the morning. I don’t want to wait around all day for the delivery and I live 10 minutes from an  store. Even if I took the day off I’d do pick up just to not wait for the delivery truck.

iamdld

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I choose shipping. Why bother with the lines and crowds. I have to work anyway so waiting on the delivery is not a big deal.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2