FaceID suddenly not working 90+% of the time

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Up until last Friday FaceID was working just fine, no issues at all. Suddenly during the last day of my trip on vacation with my wife my FaceID suddenly started having issues. It would work 90% of the time, which was about normal in some quirky ways.

As Friday progressed into Saturday and Sunday it started failing more and more. I reset my face figuring maybe the slight sunburn I got was impacting, though it shouldn't.

Now today, it works maybe 10% or less of the time all day in the office and outdoors. Bright and sunny spaces. Tonight as I sit here typing I tried it again and voila it works, no office lights on in my home office but still not dark.

Its just odd that its not working at all for days and throughout today then suddenly it works. I will make a genius bar appointment, but what can you do if you get there and it works time and again and then you leave and it won't for the rest of the day?

Is anyone else experiencing issues with FaceID not working for them a lot. I use LastPass and it would fail time and again to recognize my face even after it did let me into the X, it wouldn't work.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
It didn’t work for me today in a well lit bank lobby. I thought it was odd.
Other than that, no problems.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I haven’t had any issues with mine, it even worked in almost total darkness this morning and unlocked perfectly.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Its really become erratic at best, works fine time and again then suddenly it won't and I have to use my code, lastpass no go have to enter security code same with banking, then suddenly it works again. It seems like the sensors are not working correctly.

Seneca09

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
Its really become erratic at best, works fine time and again then suddenly it won't and I have to use my code, lastpass no go have to enter security code same with banking, then suddenly it works again. It seems like the sensors are not working correctly.

Do you have enabled, require attention for Face ID? If so, disable it and see if that helps.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
You mentioned bright and sunny, is outdoors and sunny usual for you? Due to the nature of infrared, sunlight can interfere with it and cause FaceID to not work.

Adam Matlock

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
Mine works about 25% of the time, but I'm attributing it to the glass screen protector that covers the FaceID sensor. However, it has become increasingly more unreliable as I've been using it over the last month'ish. It's annoying.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I would resetup FaceID if it's failing that bad. Sounds like it may have messed up the file it had on you as it tried to "learn" your different faces and such.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Just to update, Apple support was solid as always, did remote diagnostic testing and found no issues with the sensors so that was good. I did remove my Rhinoshield E2E screen protector and when went to put a new one on later I noticed that the old one had somehow allowed alot of dust to get around the ear piece and in the end the old screen protector was the issue. Seems dust or something had built up but you really didn't notice it right away.

So new screen protector and its back to solidly working for me. I did order new screen protectors that do not cover the "notch" and are not E2EE and allow for cases that go over the edge of the x to fit better if I need them. Its what about 5 months to go until the new phones launch so hopefully the new X Plus if that is what its called arrives.