[REVIEW] Griffin Survivor Fit Review for the iPhone X

Adam Matlock

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
https://youtu.be/8M6uIUek9pM

When it comes to this case, I feel like I should either have the Eye of the Tiger by Survivor, or Survivor by Destiny’s Child playing in the background. Not that they are related other than by name, but the word “survivor” has been floating around for a long time, and it also happens to be one of the more popular case lines by Griffin.

MVIMG_20180225_185639(1).jpg

Griffin has been making cases for a long time and used to be one of the staple cases found in Best Buy’s back in the day. I actually owned a Griffin neoprene case for my iPhone 3G way back in 2010 – yowsers that was along time ago. However, Griffin didn’t stop making cases, and they’re still here today cranking out quality products for us to decorate our phones with – enter stage right, the Griffin Survivor Fit.

MVIMG_20180225_185649(1).jpg

The Look: The Griffin Survivor Fit definitely looks like a well-built case that can take a beating and still keep your phone safe. I have been using the Survivor Fit as my primary case for the last week and have definitely put it through its paces. The overall design of the case is kind of neat, with the radiator grill-like metallic looking grate built into the backpiece. There aren’t a lot of color selections, and the version I have isn’t currently listed on the website. However, the current colors are: Blue/Light Blue, White/Gray, and of course Black/Silver (displayed here). The case finish is shiny, but it comes at a cost. The protective finish unfortunately isn’t as survivable as the rest of the case and readily picks up scratches. I wear slacks to work each day and carry my phone in my pocket with nothing else in it, and just from daily stowage and setting it down on flat surfaces it’s picked up quite a few scratches. But, all is not lost. They really don’t show up all that bad at first glance, but you’ll know that they’re there if you look even marginally closely it.

MVIMG_20180225_185711(1).jpg
OuQZW9H.jpg
IMG_0487.jpg

The Feel: The grip on the case is not textured but the material is grippy enough on it’s own that you don’t have to worry about it slipping out of your hands. The case carries well and has a good feel. Overall, it is a little bulkier than I care for, but it’s a necessity in many cases when you’re bringing 7ft of drop protection to the table. Normally I like more slender, minimalistic style cases, so it wasn’t my favorite case ever, but you may prefer these more protective style cases. The phone case is sturdy, and definitely gives you peace of mind when you’re toting it around. The buttons work as they should and aren’t difficult to press, and the cutouts are well-crafted too. This may seem like a basic function not worth mentioning, but after you’ve used cases that are a pain in the butt to use the charging port, mute switch or generally just have sticky buttons, it’s nice when everything just clicks – pun intended.

3nWtbVp.jpg
iAxqclJ.jpg

Security: The materials and overall design of the Survivor Fit are excellent. Other than the surface scratches, this case is built like a tank, and feels sturdy. I’ve fairly well enjoyed my experience using it for the last week, and that’s saying a lot. I don’t usually like bulkier cases so being able to use it for a week and not have any form factor complaints is a big plus in my book. In addition to feeling secure, it’s been tested – with science – and has been assigned a 7ft MIL-STD drop rating, which isn’t anything to scoff at. I don’t go around dropping my phone from 7ft to test these things out, but I feel confident that if I were to actually drop it from 7ft that my phone would be protected. The phone has a protective cushion built into it’s study bumpers, and a solid hard-plastic back that keeps your phone more protected than an armadillo. All in all, the form factor and level of security are solid, and it just works. Topping it all off, it even has the protective lip over the edge of the screen that allows you to place your phone screen-down on flat surfaces without a care!

xK31bvK.jpg

Conclusion: [/B]The Survivor Fit is a good case that won’t let you down. It’s not the finest secure case that I’ve ever seen, but it’s more than adequate and has a great price point. With many super-protective cases you’re going to shell out a good chunk of change to play, but not with the Survivor Fit. The Survivor Fit is currently priced at $29.99 on Griffin’s website. I feel confident enough in this case to recommend it if you like the design, price tag, and the features that the case has to offer.

Pros:

- A great balance of form factor and security
- Priced well and has 7ft of drop protection
- Durable and has a great feel to it

Cons:

- The finish isn’t as durable as the rest of the case; scratches easily
- Not cheap, but not expensive for what you get
- Color selection is limited

If you’re interested in picking up one of these gnarly cases, you can find them over at Griffin’s website: https://griffintechnology.com– Again, they are priced at $29.99. Go check ‘em out.

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the review! I like the case overall but it’s disappointing that a product that calls itself “Survivor” is so susceptible to scratching and scuffing.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the review! I like the case overall but it’s disappointing that a product that calls itself “Survivor” is so susceptible to scratching and scuffing.

I had a Griffin Survivor Adventure for my 7+ that had interchangeable clear/smoke back plates. Both of those and the base clear plastic back were VERY scratch prone. I quickly moved on to a different case. I don't know what they're using for plastic but it's horrible for durability. by comparison I've had a Catalyst Impact on my X for a few weeks now and there's like NO scratches in the clear plastic still. The Griffin had them straight out of the box.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77