Although you can rotate the screen to landscape mode while in numerous apps on the iPhone X, it seems we can’t rotate the actual home screens in the same manner. Can anyone tell me Apple’s rationale behind it?
    nakialjohnson83 likes this.
    01-07-2018 11:50 AM
    I’m sure it’s for esthetic reasons due to the notch and the status bar at the top. I’m just guessing though. I don’t miss it all that much because I rarely use my phone in landscape but it seems Apple could make it happen if they really wanted to.
    I may actually find value in a landscape home screen if it could transform the status bar into the “old” style used in every other device.
    Just_Me_D and metllicamilitia like this.
    01-07-2018 12:01 PM
    I would think it’s about pleasing everyone, if they made it where it couldn’t be rotated at all, someone would complain. Now they have the option of whether to have it rotate or not.

One less item in the complaint que they have to be concerned about. Just my perspective on it.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-07-2018 12:02 PM
    I would think it’s about pleasing everyone, if they made it where it couldn’t be rotated at all, someone would complain. Now they have the option of whether to have it rotate or not.

One less item in the complaint que they have to be concerned about. Just my perspective on it.
    ...but that’s just it. You cannot rotate the home screens. You have to be using an app that supports landscape mode.
    metllicamilitia likes this.
    01-07-2018 12:07 PM
    It’s probably the same rationale for not having it on the 6/6s/7/8. I’m not always using my phone in portrait orientation so I do like having a landscape option for the home screen. I’m sure they could have easily just shifted the notifications to stay in the notch area, but just chose not to.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-07-2018 12:07 PM
    The 5.5” screens (plus) can rotate, so should the 5.8” X! Just my opinion on this.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-12-2018 09:32 AM
    I don't know, but it may have to do with the aspect ratio and how it fits and looks. I'm sure they tried it, but must not have been too good functionally or something. I never use my homescreen in landscape. Never liked it.
    Just_Me_D and Annie_8plus like this.
    01-12-2018 10:05 AM
    I don't know, but it may have to do with the aspect ratio and how it fits and looks. I'm sure they tried it, but must not have been too good functionally or something. I never use my homescreen in landscape. Never liked it.
    Pretty sure that’s what it is. The X doesn’t get the Plus UI at all. I remember Gurman saying this when the X was announced.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-13-2018 09:26 PM
    Im with @Ledsteplin. I think it's the aspect ratio. Same reason the X didn't get the other landscape features the Plus models have.
    01-20-2018 08:42 AM
    The 5.5” screens (plus) can rotate, so should the 5.8” X! Just my opinion on this.
    Makes complete sense to me but I’m pretty sure the notch has something to do with it
    01-21-2018 07:37 AM
    Although you can rotate the screen to landscape mode while in numerous apps on the iPhone X, it seems we can’t rotate the actual home screens in the same manner. Can anyone tell me Apple’s rationale behind it?
    Maybe Apple decided not support Landscape Home screen since you can’t use FaceId in Landscape. TouchID works nice in Landscape on the Plus size. Just a thought.
    01-22-2018 07:58 AM
    Absolutely hated the home screen rotation on the Plus. Obviously useful when inside apps, but on the home screen it was completely annoying more than anything to me. I'm glad to see it doesn't work.
    01-26-2018 04:18 AM
    It’s a quite narrow display, so no point in have the home rotating
    01-27-2018 07:53 AM
    Used to hate when my 7+ would rotate the home screen! Glad my X doesn’t do it!
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    01-27-2018 09:11 AM
    It’s kind of driving me nuts on my 8+! 🤪
    01-27-2018 09:22 AM
    Ok I figured out the problem with the home screen not rotating on the iPhoneX. And to be honest with you we were all wrong. The home screen does rotate to landscape mode. Why couldn't we figure this out sooner. Ok here's the secret. So get you iPhoneX restart it, but before you swipe the off switch you need to turn your phone sideways. Ok. Don't know why this works but it does. Once it comes back on just open the phone just like before. When you on the home screen turn your phone sideways and you will see that you are in landscape mode. I can't believe it was that easy.
    09-19-2018 09:54 AM
    Interesting. 7 Plus home screen rotates to landscape if Zoomed view is off, but won't if Zoomed view is on. I'd say it's probably because of the screen resolution or the notch.
    09-19-2018 11:20 AM