Is anyone planning to replace their iPhone X battery at year’s end?

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
If I’m not mistaken, the device will be tested by Apple and if it passes the test, then it’ll get the $29 battery replacement.

Nope. Battery will be replaced no question asked , but just ONE TIME per user. After that if you need another battery it will be full price ($79).
If you need an AppleCare replacement (battery below 80% health within the warranty period) it will be done for free but it needs to be tested first.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Again NO, you are wrong.
At this time Apple didn’t added support for iPhone X and 8 to this feature. They just added support for iPhone 7/Plus in the last iOS 11.2
Things could change in the future but right now there is no throttling on latest iPhone

"Our goal is to deliver the best experience for customers, which includes overall performance and prolonging the life of their devices. Lithium-ion batteries become less capable of supplying peak current demands when in cold conditions, have a low battery charge or as they age over time, which can result in the device unexpectedly shutting down to protect its electronic components.

Last year we released a feature for iPhone 6, iPhone 6s and iPhone SE to smooth out the instantaneous peaks only when needed to prevent the device from unexpectedly shutting down during these conditions. We've now extended that feature to iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2, and plan to add support for other products in the future."

I stand corrected. They plan to support other products in the future.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Nope. Battery will be replaced no question asked , but just ONE TIME per user. After that if you need another battery it will be full price ($79).
If you need an AppleCare replacement (battery below 80% health within the warranty period) it will be done for free but it needs to be tested first.

Thank you for clarifying!

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
You are wrong.
Apple added support for this “feature” to iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2 last December. AT this time iPhone 8 and X aren’t included. They might be in the future (hopefully not).
Make a little search before calling someone else assertion “False”.

Actually you are wrong. Has nothing to do with the "feature" I am talking about apple allowing the $29 battery repair. Nice try... Right from apple's site.. https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Actually you are wrong. Has nothing to do with the "feature" I am talking about apple allowing the $29 battery repair. Nice try... Right from apple's site.. https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power
Ah ok, if you are only referring to the discounted $29 replacement, yes, every iPhone newer than the 6 is eligible.
Fortunately the throttle issue doesn’t affect the 8 and X so far...

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Ah ok, if you are only referring to the discounted $29 replacement, yes, every iPhone newer than the 6 is eligible.

They’ll wait until they release their next phones before infecting the 8 and X.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Nope bc I upgrade with each cycle. That said, I do plan to replace the batteries on my kids’ phones (they each have a 6s) before the program is over.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Nothing was infected! There were some iPhones that were remedied though.
I know, I was just being my silly self.

"Infected" was a fun word to use to poke fun at...describe the code that Apple introduced that effectively retards...errr...I mean...protects older phones. All in the name of protecting us, their valued customers, from an inevitable shutdown due to an aged battery. I'm so glad Apple is looking out for us like that. I mean, what would we do, how would we live without that...feature?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Yes, I was just focusing on the replacement cost. I am sure the throttle will happen to other phones as well once they age since this will happen to every battery as it ages.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I was just focusing on the replacement cost. I am sure the throttle will happen to other phones as well once they age since this will happen to every battery as it ages.
It will happen if Apple will introduce support for this feature in the future...
I really hope all this mess will change Apple policy about slowdowns

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
It will happen if Apple will introduce support for this feature in the future...
I really hope all this mess will change Apple policy about slowdowns
I think the utility of it (I just can't call it a feature any longer) is useful. I actually remember when my old 4s would simply shut down around 20% and I would wonder why. Had Apple's Savior Code been there it may not have and just gotten even slower.

Apple simply needs to have a warning and a toggle that turns this feature on should you want it. There's just not consumer-oriented reason, IMO, for them not to.

Let's be honest. Apple was quiet about because they wanted you to just buy a new phone. Hopefully, the negative publicity will keep them a bit more... transparent...going forward.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I will likely get this years newer model, if they offer a plus version I would get that. Otherwise I will check my battery health with coconut battery and see if it needs to be done or not.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
If I were going to replace the battery it wouldn’t make any difference if it was $30 or $80. That said, in the rare case that I still have these in December, I’ll decide if they need to be replaced. Battery replacement being necessary is unlikely since they only get used every other week and even that is offset by using my Mate 9. This week it’s the space grey.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
My wife has a 6S Plus with 426 batter cycles and it still holds 87.9% of the original charge. I don't think that is too bad, but I will likely get it swapped out just to give it a fresh boost.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711