Face I.D

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Apologies if iam hogging the forum lately! Owning this baby is a huge learning curve for me ha Can i ask if there is any advice / tips on setting up face i.d?

I notice that theres a few people who feel face i.d doesn't work very well while others are very happy.

As every individual likely sets it up under different circumstances / situations iam wondering if there is any recommended way to set it up? Is it optimal for example to set it up in daylight? or would it work just as effectively if you set it up indoors in a room with a light over head etc Surely the conditions your in when setting face i.d up play a part in how well it functions ?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I have setup mine up out of the box and have not had any issues, nor do I feel the need to setup again.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
If i put my phone on the table, face id doesn’t work :( i have to actually grab the device with right angle. It’s bit annoying.

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Mine is working fine although havent thoroughly tested it. I was just wondering if there was a "ultimate" way to set it up. I disabled require attention as it seemingly makes it unlock quicker but i found no difference at all

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I read that you should hold the phone as you would normally hold it while using it. I set it up tight out of the box and had no problems. I then re-setup Face ID like I had read too and have still not had any problems.

I also set the phone up in normal lighting. Face ID works great and most,of the time the phone is unlocked before I know it.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Yup if I pick up and hold normally, it works fine. My phone is mostly on my table when I am working and I have to correct face angle to work if I don’t pick it up. I wish iPhone X had touch ID.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Mine is working fine although havent thoroughly tested it. I was just wondering if there was a "ultimate" way to set it up. I disabled require attention as it seemingly makes it unlock quicker but i found no difference at all

On the second scan of your face during setup, try to tilt the phone a bit and see if it catches your face. I found that having the phone around sternum level and it not being perfectly tilted made Face ID not even catch my face.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
While I had initially decided to hang with the 7 Plus a while longer, watching all these posts on these new devices is making me want to get one. :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

No. There is no “ultimate” way to set up FaceID. With that in mind, you can try setting up as far away from your face it as allowed. By doing so, you may not have to hold it close to your face when using FaceID.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

A lot of us initially had the “on the desk” issue as well. Great excuse to try out a wireless charging stand!

b4d12b711ac0e512f587604b65d9a42b.jpg

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
I have been amazed by Face id so far. I used it this morning with half of the duvet covering my chin and my gar messed up and it still unlocked lol I did notice that sometimes when i tap to wake the lock icon shakes as though it did not recognise me but upon swiping up, its unlocked :)

Im finding Face id to be on par with touch id too in terms of speed. I have read lots of reviews about it being slow but that has not been my experience! I pretty much just tap my display and immediately swipe up and its unlocked. There is zero delay

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I have been amazed by Face id so far. I used it this morning with half of the duvet covering my chin and my gar messed up and it still unlocked lol I did notice that sometimes when i tap to wake the lock icon shakes as though it did not recognise me but upon swiping up, its unlocked :)

Im finding Face id to be on par with touch id too in terms of speed. I have read lots of reviews about it being slow but that has not been my experience! I pretty much just tap my display and immediately swipe up and its unlocked. There is zero delay

I think it’s the animations that most people are bugged out with.
I’m sure it’ll get faster over time, and there’ll always be a 2nd-Gen.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

What phone are you coming from? I found face ID’s speed to be on par with first-gen Touch ID but second gen Touch ID is faster. Especially with third party apps.

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
What phone are you coming from? I found face ID’s speed to be on par with first-gen Touch ID but second gen Touch ID is faster. Especially with third party apps.

Iam coming from a Galaxy S8 but i work with phones so i often use iphones briefly so iam familar with touch id. I find Face id just as quick. I literally tap and swipe and iam on the home screen. There is no delay! If iam wrong and Face i.d is indeed slower then its certainly not noticeable to me

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Iam coming from a Galaxy S8 but i work with phones so i often use iphones briefly so iam familar with touch id. I find Face id just as quick. I literally tap and swipe and iam on the home screen. There is no delay! If iam wrong and Face i.d is indeed slower then its certainly not noticeable to me

Oh no, no right and wrong here lol. I just wondered if you had come from a previous iPhone. I think second-gen Touch ID being faster than first-gen ruined me for Face ID.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2