Iphone X unlocked

Kamlesh Pohani

Nov 12, 2017
Visit site
I was planning to buy an iPhone X from US and I was gonna use it in India. So i just want to make sure that iPhone X from Apple store are Unlocked ?.And is it going to work in India with Indian Carriers?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I don’t believe an unlocked version is available yet. Keep checking www.apple.com.
It should work just fine in India as long as you have the correct SIM card.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
If you pay retail from Apple, they are unlocked. The Att and T-Mobile version can only be used on GSM carriers. If you buy a Verizon model, they are unlocked for CDMA or GSM carriers.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
If you pay retail from Apple, they are unlocked. The Att and T-Mobile version can only be used on GSM carriers. If you buy a Verizon model, they are unlocked for CDMA or GSM carriers.

I could have sworn all iPhone X models were carrier locked. You generally know more about this stuff than I do though so I’ll leave it at that.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Never mind! @Garz was right.
https://www.imore.com/how-buy-iphone-x-unlocked
They do generally start offering a SIM-free version at some point as well, although it doesn’t appear to be available as of now.

You are right. They usually do sim unlocked. Maybe a couple of months after released. But Apple never sells the phone locked if you pay retail. They only stay locked if you do something like Att Next or your own carrier financing. Not the Apple upgrade program. Now remember this only applies to phones purchased at the Apple store.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
You are right. They usually do sim unlocked. Maybe a couple of months after released. But Apple never sells the phone locked if you pay retail. They only stay locked if you do something like Att Next or your own carrier financing. Not the Apple upgrade program. Now remember this only applies to phones purchased at the Apple store.

Also, iphones sold at Tmobile and AT&T carriers stores are locked even if you pay full retail. I like that Apple's are unlocked out of the box no matter the carrier as long as you pay full retail.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Also, iphones sold at Tmobile and AT&T carriers stores are locked even if you pay full retail. I like that Apple's are unlocked out of the box no matter the carrier as long as you pay full retail.

It’s because there is no benefit for the carrier to sell it to you unlocked. With Apple, they are not the carrier so they don’t care. If you pay in full, you can do what you please with the phone.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Our FCC here in Canada made it law that as of December all phones sold must be unlocked. People were complaining about the carriers charging $50+ to unlock it after it was paid of. If I'm not mistaken carriers across Canada made $34 million in unlocking fees last year. When the FCC looked into it they decide it was unfair to the customer to have to pay to unlock a phone they own. I got my 7 Plus unlocked for free when I gave them the suggestion they unlock it for free in August or I wait till December and they have to do it for free by law.

I have bought my last 3 phones outright though from Apple or Samsung that way I no longer am tied to one carrier.

asuprice

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Who bought a Verizon Full priced? I have always bought att full price in the past and got the “Congratulations your iPhone is unlocked” message when I plugged into my Mac. I didn’t get it this time with the Verizon one. Does it not show up with Verizon since it’s already unlocked?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I had considered getting a Verizon iPhone X, but was concerend it would not just work on AT&T without me calling in or going to a store to get it on my account. My 7+ was an unlocked model and it was a non-issue, but carrier branded devices typically have their device id's in the database for easier connectivity and I personally do not see why I should pay AT&T or any carrier to add my phone when I paid full price without a contract.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77