Yes but with it replacing touchID (which was fool proof) it makes it even more critical the replacement be the same. Yes I understand they can tweak it, just don't think it will be as fast or reliable as touchID
    I use touch ID and it is not fail proof. There are times it does not work. I expect teh face ID to be the same.
    09-13-2017 08:44 AM
    I use touch ID and it is not fail proof. There are times it does not work. I expect teh face ID to be the same.
    Of course, nothing is perfect.
    The Touch ID on the 7/7 Plus is very close to being perfect IMO.
    09-13-2017 08:58 AM
    It gave me a chuckle, but same goes for Touch ID, yes it works 80-90% of the time, but others it will not and I have to use a pass code. Like WTF, why wont it work RIGHT now....
    nikkisharif likes this.
    09-13-2017 09:20 AM
    Man you guys are a hard corps bunch...LOL. The current Touch ID has had four years of real world development. If I'm not mistaken the first Touch ID also had its share of problems as well. Give it some time, I'm sure it will get better.
    Somehow it doesn't reassure me that my $1150 phone will get better over time (i.e., with the next model).
    09-13-2017 12:46 PM
    Somehow it doesn't reassure me that my $1150 phone will get better over time (i.e., with the next model).
    As with anything new and unproven in real world time...It gets better. Touch ID did (I don't remember the actual price for the 64gb 5s) and that device was also pricey as with all Apple products.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    09-13-2017 12:50 PM
    You're assuming it will need to "get better" right off the bat. It may be fine.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    09-13-2017 01:54 PM
    You're assuming it will need to "get better" right off the bat. It may be fine.
    Of course and I hope you're right. The Touch ID improved significantly over time but that doesn't mean Face ID will follow a similar path.
    09-13-2017 01:57 PM
    I thought it was user error. He didn't do it right. That's how it looked to me.
    This is how i saw it. Not saying you wrong

If you watch closely, as soon as the FaceID went wrong, he immediately wiped his face on each side, almost like he was wiping stuff away that might cause an error with the recognition. Maybe the camera picked up some makeup or possibly some shiny sweat on his face and thought it wasn't him. Just speculation obviously. Im sure when we get the iPhone X, everything will work correctly. I rather get a false reject than a false accept.
    MooMooPrincess likes this.
    09-13-2017 02:35 PM

If you watch closely, as soon as the FaceID went wrong, he immediately wiped his face on each side, almost like he was wiping stuff away that might cause an error with the recognition. Maybe the camera picked up some makeup or possibly some shiny sweat on his face and thought it wasn't him. Just speculation obviously. Im sure when we get the iPhone X, everything will work correctly. I rather get a false reject than a false accept.
    Possible. But if you notice also, the keypad screen says, "Your Passcode is required to enable Face ID". As far as I know, only the 48 hour thing or 6 unsuccessful tries to open brings that message up. Maybe he'll reveal what happened some day. LOL I don't think it was a device fail. I think it worked as it's supposed to.
    Matty likes this.
    09-13-2017 06:52 PM
    New technology and a live demo. It was never gonna work on every go just like Touch ID didn’t.
    MooMooPrincess likes this.
    09-13-2017 07:09 PM
    I just hope it's more reliable than TouchID has been for me. I'm right handed so maybe that has something to do with it, but everytime I set TouchID with my right thumb sometimes within just a few days it stops recognizing it. The left thumb strangely will work for months on end though once set. When I got my iPad a few weeks ago I set the first TouchID print to be my left thumb because of that. If you delete "print 1" which was usually always my right thumb and put it in again it puts it in as "print 3" no matter how many times you delete and re-scan it. Getting rid of "print 1" will throw off a lot of banking apps (and maybe others) and I've found they force you to log in again normally and then choose to use TouchID again in the future.
    09-13-2017 07:12 PM
    I personally don't think it was a 'fail' per se'.
    In addition, I do hope Apple, offer Touch ID devices for a while. I'd hate for 2018 and on wards to not have a Touch ID model...
    I think as soon as apple can get TouchID under the screen we will no longer have a physical button. I think this was kind of plan B when they couldn't get touchID under the screen to work.
    ivanwi11iams likes this.
    09-13-2017 07:15 PM
    I just hope it's more reliable than TouchID has been for me. I'm right handed so maybe that has something to do with it, but everytime I set TouchID with my right thumb sometimes within just a few days it stops recognizing it. The left thumb strangely will work for months on end though once set. When I got my iPad a few weeks ago I set the first TouchID print to be my left thumb because of that. If you delete "print 1" which was usually always my right thumb and put it in again it puts it in as "print 3" no matter how many times you delete and re-scan it. Getting rid of "print 1" will throw off a lot of banking apps (and maybe others) and I've found they force you to log in again normally and then choose to use TouchID again in the future.
    Strange. Never had those issues with TouchID.
    09-13-2017 07:16 PM
    Possible. But if you notice also, the keypad screen says, "Your Passcode is required to enable Face ID". As far as I know, only the 48 hour thing or 6 unsuccessful tries to open brings that message up. Maybe he'll reveal what happened some day. LOL I don't think it was a device fail. I think it worked as it's supposed to.
    If the phone was powered off it asks for a passcode.
    09-13-2017 07:17 PM
    Strange. Never had those issues with TouchID.
    I actually wonder sometimes if I'm following the on-screen instructions incorrectly when setting it since it's done it on two phones and the iPad now.
    09-13-2017 07:20 PM
    I actually wonder sometimes if I'm following the on-screen instructions incorrectly when setting it since it's done it on two phones and the iPad now.
    I've set it up once and haven't had any issues after that.
    09-13-2017 07:34 PM

I saw that, too. But perhaps like a zillion others he also missed the bit on the screen that said "Your passcode is required to enable Face ID". So technically speaking it worked as intended. He just didn't enable Face ID before the presentation, and the phone prompted him to do so by asking for a passcode to be set.
    09-13-2017 07:39 PM
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/reall...181213050.html

It’s all explained at the end of this article in the final update section.

Every other theory about this matter is obsolete and wrong.
    09-14-2017 05:14 AM
    Add the same thumb 2 or 3 times as additional finger prints.
    09-14-2017 06:23 AM
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/reall...181213050.html

It’s all explained at the end of this article in the final update section.

Every other theory about this matter is obsolete and wrong.
    Yep, I thought as much. I noticed it on the keypad when I viewed the replay.
    09-14-2017 07:06 AM
    If Steve Jobs had been observing this demo he would have gone nuts and most definitely would have considered it a fail. Oh and several people would have probably been fired afterwards. Apple really has softened a little under the new leadership. Not that this is a bad thing.
    Mr Jobs had his own problems during a demo once. He couldn't send to the screen from his iPhone 4 due to insufficient wifi in the arena! The network was clogged. He asked some to close their laptops. I'm sure there were plenty of volunteers.

The demonstrations weren't always slick.
    09-14-2017 08:19 AM
    The official explanation is that so many faces were looking at the particular X device backstage that the unit shut down as it was designed to do after too many failed attempts.
    09-14-2017 08:55 AM
    The official explanation is that so many faces were looking at the particular X device backstage that the unit shut down as it was designed to do after too many failed attempts.
    Exactly, and I think he knew at that point what had happened, but didn't want to use the passcode, so he just grabbed another phone.
    09-14-2017 09:14 AM
    Bottom line for me is that I enjoy new tech. I gave Touch ID a chance with my 5s and now I'm going to give Facial recognition a chance with the iPhone X.
    09-14-2017 09:16 AM
    I expect this to happen a lot IRL, at least while the phone is new and attractive for others to look at. Also, at home. Inconvenient for sure.
    09-14-2017 02:14 PM
53 123