When did it become mandatory to upgrade to the newest iPhone? I’ve had people make a negative association because of my decision to use the iPhone SE over my iPhone X.

What I constantly hear is “omg that phone is so tiny I could never use something like that” or “that’s something I would get for my kids” and most recently “couldn’t afford the iPhone X huh?!” I thought phones were supposed to be for the persons own personal needs not as a trend or to show that you have money to blow? Don’t get me wrong I really like the X, but I just find this form factor so much more comfortable to use.

Has anyone else dealt with something like this?
    Tartarus, RobertP1 and Zolti like this.
    01-08-2018 01:08 PM
    Ignore them. People should be free to use the device that suits their needs without having to deal with others opinions on what they should be using. I'm in the "upgrade every year" camp but people have at times implied I didn't "need" to upgrade each year.

Of course I don't NEED to...but I want to. That's key. Do what you please. Ignore those who object.
    01-08-2018 01:57 PM
    Ignore them. People should be free to use the device that suits their needs without having to deal with others opinions on what they should be using. I'm in the "upgrade every year" camp but people have at times implied I didn't "need" to upgrade each year.

Of course I don't NEED to...but I want to. That's key. Do what you please. Ignore those who object.
    +1
    By the way, we have a ton of very happy iPhone SE users currently on the forum. You’re not alone!
    01-08-2018 02:00 PM
    +1
    By the way, we have a ton of very happy iPhone SE users currently on the forum. You’re not alone!
    Yup. I’m back to using my SE and waiting for version 2.
    Just love a true mobile device (slips in my pocket and don’t know it’s there).
    01-08-2018 05:17 PM
    I’d ignore them too.
    We need to be able to understand other people’s lifestyle and their own unique perspective. There’s a reason why Apple offers a variety of iPhones, it’s to meet different consumer needs.
    01-08-2018 06:05 PM
    +1
    I tell you the way I’ve seen people react to my phone you’d think I was the only one with the SE. well...at least only adult.
    01-08-2018 06:37 PM
    When did it become mandatory to upgrade to the newest iPhone? I’ve had people make a negative association because of my decision to use the iPhone SE over my iPhone X.

What I constantly hear is “omg that phone is so tiny I could never use something like that” or “that’s something I would get for my kids” and most recently “couldn’t afford the iPhone X huh?!” I thought phones were supposed to be for the persons own personal needs not as a trend or to show that you have money to blow? Don’t get me wrong I really like the X, but I just find this form factor so much more comfortable to use.

Has anyone else dealt with something like this?
    It is not mandatory to upgrade to the newest iPhone. A desire to have the latest or be among the first to have the latest are arguably among the top 5 reasons to upgrade every year. There are always going to be people who will compare what you do to what they would have do. I’m one of those people who don’t care what you use as long as you’re happy with it. It’s your money, your choice and your happiness. That’s all that matters.
    01-08-2018 06:46 PM
    People are very strange beings. I, too, have to face people telling me what to do, what to believe, what to buy or not buy... Strange. I honestly think these type of people must have a so meaningless life that they want to live someone else's. Just ignore them! My wife has a SE and I really envy a very simple thing about it: she can use it without case, without any fear of broke or scratch an incredible expensive device. She simply uses it. And likes a lot! I really like my X too, but have to confess I would love to be able to use it as my wife uses her SE.
    01-08-2018 07:17 PM
    With the people from my generation, it seems like they upgrade to have the latest and greatest as a symbol of “status”
    01-08-2018 09:45 PM
    Yup. I’m back to using my SE and waiting for version 2.
    Just love a true mobile device (slips in my pocket and don’t know it’s there).
    I’m excited about the “SE2” as well. I’m really interested to see what changes they make.
    TgeekB, lasagnasupply and libra89 like this.
    01-08-2018 10:18 PM
    With the people from my generation, it seems like they upgrade to have the latest and greatest as a symbol of “status”
    100% agree with this.
    TripleOne likes this.
    01-08-2018 10:19 PM
    It has never been mandatory. If your present phone serves your purposes, why upgrade? I have the option to upgrade any time that I wish too. However, I choose to stay with my SE. It’s the perfect size and is lacking nothing that I care for. I probably won’t even upgrade the the second generation of the SE.
    mia_xoxo likes this.
    01-08-2018 11:18 PM
    Whatever sails your boat...
    It’s a matter of personal preference. Nothing else.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    01-09-2018 05:10 AM
    I hate when people say things like that. It's really annoying.

There's nothing wrong with being content with what you have. The SE is a great phone, in fact it's one of my favorite phones ever.

Upgrading if you want is fine too but far from required. In fact, I have a friend who had a iPhone 6 that was stolen so she went back to her 5S. She's talked about the SE but she's good with what she has and it's been years since then.
    Annie_8plus and anon(9602380) like this.
    01-09-2018 09:59 AM
    Some people will always ask, because for them its all about having the latest phone. At the end of the day, its personal preference. My wife is happy with her 6s while I have the 8plus.

About the SE, it’s too small for me because I’m used 6.3” Note 8 and 5.5” 8+. But I’m looking forward to the SE2, if it has minimal bezels and the 8 chipset. I don’t really need 2 big screen phones. I’d happily sell the 8+ for the SE2
    01-09-2018 09:59 AM
    For some people, it's a status thing, for others, it's a necessity and for many it's simply a desire to embrace the latest, and there are those who prefer to ride it til it dies. I'm somewhere in the middle (and admittedly lean towards embracing the new technology)... my husband is "ride it till it dies", as is my sister, who upgraded from her 4s to a 7 last summer. Granted, we were relieved, because she couldn't update anymore, and was missing out on some of the newer features.

It's a matter of preference and personal desire. And it's a personal decision and nobody else's business. To each his/her own... but it seems modern society has adapted a budinski personality more often than not!
    01-09-2018 10:10 AM
    There is no mandatory reason to upgrade. We all have opinions but some of us are better at presenting them. If I feel I don't agree with the other persons opinion I will just ignore it and brush it off, then move on. If you prefer the SE then i'm honestly happy for you. There are reasons why you made that decision.

I started out with the 8 Plus for reasons I thought best suited my needs. I am now using an X because I reassessed it and thought it was even better for me. This will sound harsh but not meant to be. I don't care what people think about what phone I use. If it works for me I have the perfect phone.
    libra89 and Annie_8plus like this.
    01-09-2018 10:53 PM
    I personally like to upgrade yearly, and my reasoning is to simply enjoying the latest technology that is offered
    Not Quite Right likes this.
    01-09-2018 11:55 PM
    Nope not mandatory and it doesn't matter. With that said I've become accustomed to the iPhone and the quality, if they add new features that I like I'll upgrade. Mainly the only reason I changed from 7 plus to 8 plus was wireless charging. My wife is still using the 7 because that's the size phone she likes. Took a while to get to upgrade from the 4s to hand me down 5s .
    01-10-2018 06:35 AM

Kind of hard to ignore your wife who’s had the 6 plus for three years and going. Always hearing “Nothings wrong with your phone but you keep changing it”.
    01-10-2018 07:24 AM
    Kind of hard to ignore your wife who’s had the 6 plus for three years and going. Always hearing “Nothings wrong with your phone but you keep changing it”.
    Well... But our wifes are in another matter dimension!
    01-10-2018 07:52 AM
    True. But in a soft skin way.
    01-10-2018 08:21 AM
    You live with them, so that's different. For these people that like to talk, not so much.
    01-10-2018 08:28 AM
    That’s true.
    01-10-2018 08:45 AM
    When did it become mandatory to upgrade to the newest iPhone?
    I'm thinking 2008 ...
    tadpoles likes this.
    01-10-2018 08:55 AM
38 12