Question re: how to trigger the use of the built-in Reminders app "action" icons

GadgetGuru72

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello -

The other day I created a reminder with the text "Call Dr. (Name) to make appointment." It automatically recognize that Dr. (Name) was in my contacts list, and so the Reminders app created a little telephone icon in the reminder, so that I could tap to call my doctor right from within the Reminders app.

Yesterday I created an reminder with the text "Call (Name) to make haircut appointment." My hair stylist is also in my contacts list, but this time it did not create the action telephone icon, and I cannot seem to figure out why.

This is not a huge deal, but it would be nice to understand how it works.

Anybody know how to trigger a reminder to add the action icon?

Thanks in advance.

GadgetGuru72

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I finally figured out the answer to my own question.

If you type the reminder in manually, you do not get the action icon to call the person.

However, if you have Siri create the reminder for you, then you get the action icon.

So, if you tell Siri to "Remind me tomorrow at 9am to call (name)" and the name is in your Contacts app, you'll get the telephone icon.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I finally figured out the answer to my own question.

If you type the reminder in manually, you do not get the action icon to call the person.

However, if you have Siri create the reminder for you, then you get the action icon.

So, if you tell Siri to "Remind me tomorrow at 9am to call (name)" and the name is in your Contacts app, you'll get the telephone icon.

At the time I replied, I did use Siri in the manner you mentioned. Anyway, I'll experiment with it later now that I'm running the official iOS 9.1 version.