Maps: Lack of data updates

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, this horse is, over all, well-beaten, so this isn't a complaint of the Maps data merely being wrong, but not receiving any noticeable updates from Apple. See the attached screen shot and note the following:

The address shown in the Search bar is the result of looking for "applebees dover nh" and selecting it from the list. The Pin is the returned result. Note, too, the Applebee's that Maps claims is in the lower left corner of the display. Neither location is correct. The store at the location of the pin is a Staples, and Applebee's is down what is labeled "Indian Brook Dr". Both Hotels shown on the map are also not in the correct locations, though they are closer to correct than either location shown for the single Applebee's. Fiddlehead Farms Marketplace is also misplaced. The only POI shown that is in the correct location is the Five Guys.

Indian Brook Rd is incorrect on the North-East side of 108. What is listed as Indian Brook on that side is a series of connected driveways for the shopping center. Week's Lane is not a divided street. IOW, nearly everything shown for this intersection is wrong.

I, for one, have sent corrections to Apple via the built-in feedback link for most of these errors MONTHS ago. The Maps app says that map data comes from "TomTom and other sources". My brother has a stand-alone TomTom GPS that he probably hasn't updated online in months (since I got my iPhone, at least) and it has this intersection correct.

Does Apple ever actually update the map data based on user feedback, or am I wasting my time trying?

IMG_0285.PNG

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I agree completely. Apple Map's data is absolutely terrible. I can be in the parking lot of a McDonald's and search for McDonald's, Apple Maps gives me results a mile or more away that aren't even accurate.

I only have about 50% success rate with Apple getting my destinations and searches right. They need big help with data.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, There should be a scheduled data base of mapping locations to be either pushed out or the app being updated with the new info in it. I thought when Apple came out some time ago about the article proposing the new map team to take care of issues and bring this app into where it should be that this would be an inclusion of that teams job. While I must admit the mapping app as a whole has improved, The map data update has not.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2