Need call app/ emergency app advice

campuscop2003

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Hello, long time no speak, haha. I need some advice. My oldest son is now at the age where he stays home for the 20 mins it takes me to take my wife to work. He's note quite to the age where I'm ready to break down and buy him a phone, however I do not have a land line and the cell phones are with us. I want him to have a way to call me if theres an emergency or if he needs to get at us. Something more reliable than imessage. He has a 4th generation ipod touch that is clued to his hand. Are there any apps out there that would enable him to contact my iphone 5 or the wifes galaxy via ipod? I have a mac mini thats always running too if theres any apps that can enable calling us or an app that is good in case of emergency thing? We have an airport extreme on UPS backup so if power goes out of that sort of this he will still have wifi.

I've been looking at a prepaid pay as you go but most want a monthly fee. Looked at tracfone and a few others but compared to his ipod touch hes not going to want to carry that around.

Any advice on ipod apps at mentioned will be greatly appreciated.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello, long time no speak, haha. I need some advice. My oldest son is now at the age where he stays home for the 20 mins it takes me to take my wife to work. He's note quite to the age where I'm ready to break down and buy him a phone, however I do not have a land line and the cell phones are with us. I want him to have a way to call me if theres an emergency or if he needs to get at us. Something more reliable than imessage. He has a 4th generation ipod touch that is clued to his hand. Are there any apps out there that would enable him to contact my iphone 5 or the wifes galaxy via ipod? I have a mac mini thats always running too if theres any apps that can enable calling us or an app that is good in case of emergency thing? We have an airport extreme on UPS backup so if power goes out of that sort of this he will still have wifi.

I've been looking at a prepaid pay as you go but most want a monthly fee. Looked at tracfone and a few others but compared to his ipod touch hes not going to want to carry that around.

Any advice on ipod apps at mentioned will be greatly appreciated.

I've never used the app before, but a description of this seem like something you might find worthy of consideration.

Talkatone app -
Unlimited FREE calls and texts to anyone in the world over WiFi or 3G/4G without using any cell minutes.
https://itunes.apple.com/app/id397648381?at=10l3Vy

campuscop2003

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I installed the mo+ app. It works via google voice. He is able to make and recieve calls and texts from his ipod and even got his own phone number. I am very impressed with this app. only $5.99 per year for add free. Thanks for all of your help.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I installed the mo+ app. It works via google voice. He is able to make and recieve calls and texts from his ipod and even got his own phone number. I am very impressed with this app. only $5.99 per year for add free. Thanks for all of your help.
Thank you for the update. Take care...:)

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have two recommendations for you, I've been using them for a long time now.
1) Magicjack app --> https://itunes.apple.com/co/app/free-calls-with-magicjack/id463926997?l=en&mt=8&at=10l3Vy

This app is free to download and free to use, no ads, no video to earn coins, no monthly fee needed, no IAP, (you don't need to have a majicjack thingy either) this app is *genuinely free*. Your son will be able to call any number in the U.S (calls only, no text and you don't need to have magicjack in your iPhone) you'll be able to call him too and works in any iOS device.
If you decide to use this one, be careful when you download it and set it up, create a new account because that option will only show once! that way he'll obtain a number (the numbers start with *010)

Option 2) Text now: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/textnow-+-voice-free-texting/id314716233?mt=8&at=10l3Vy

This app is also free it lets you choose a number based on your location and availability BUT unlike magicjack it has ads, IAP, have to buy credits or earn them by watching videos to MAKE calls, but no credit needed to receive them. The drawback of this one is that the #has to be constantly used for text or calls otherwise after 25-30days they release the number and you'll have to choose another (they let you know before that happen though).

Anyway those apps I've used for quite sometime now, work like a charm.

Hope this helps!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77