Apple's treatment of iMessage for Android app Beeper Mini triggers bipartisan call for competition investigation

kiniku

Nov 20, 2023
Visit site
10-15 years ago, most phones were using SMS for text messaging. So, Apple decided to develop its own secure method for its customers. While Android cheerfully used SMS for at least a decade until about 4 years ago, and they (finally) implemented RCS.
So why is Apple seen as the criminal here? And now Apple has announced they will ALSO implement RCS.

"I don't like not being blue!" Waah!

Reactions: Lee_Bo

Iconoclysm

Oct 23, 2019
Visit site
10-15 years ago, most phones were using SMS for text messaging. So, Apple decided to develop its own secure method for its customers. While Android cheerfully used SMS for at least a decade until about 4 years ago, and they (finally) implemented RCS.
So why is Apple seen as the criminal here? And now Apple has announced they will ALSO implement RCS.

And Android/Google does not get the credit for implementing RCS either...

Reactions: Lee_Bo

SvenJ

May 27, 2017
Visit site

What people are forgetting is that, while Google has taken the core of RCS, they have patched and extended it way beyond the GSM standard. The standard doesn't even yet support encryption. The standard version Apple is implementing won't support any of the enhancements Google has developed, unless, Google turns all those over to the standards organization and they are adopted as part of it.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
What people are forgetting is that, while Google has taken the core of RCS, they have patched and extended it way beyond the GSM standard. The standard doesn't even yet support encryption. The standard version Apple is implementing won't support any of the enhancements Google has developed, unless, Google turns all those over to the standards organization and they are adopted as part of it.

makes me smile

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77