Why do people rag on Apple Maps?

anon(5895641)

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Because I was used to google maps on my galaxy s2 n s3. I tried apple maps and didn't really like it. The traffic wasn't as detailed as google maps. Google maps traffic would show where it's green and red including surface streets. Also I don't like how u can't zoom out during navigation in apple maps.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
As in which countries are lacking significant mapping data

Significant is probably a relative term depending upon where one lives. When studying Apple - iOS 6 Feature Availability I found that as features like Directions are layered on, the country coverage lessens. This may help explain the lack of or be a contributing cause to the locales where street names are missing.

In the last century when living in Asia, for one project I relied upon British maps from the WWII era. It's not that long ago. Unless someone - a country, company, or consortium commissions an exhaustive mapping survey - then older maps and the geographies they represent may not be updated or transformed into digitally consumable format. That's why I can see some real application for and benefit from crowd and Open Sourced maps. A much lower barrier to entry and the ability to grow organically over time assuming consistent and accurate participation and usage.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I could've sworn this thread was locked?!?!

It was locked...for some reason someone wanted to chime in and decided to open it back up for more redundant discussion about this. Should have been locked when it was started, considering there was a thread identical to it on the same day sitting right next to it.

thatgirl87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I loved Apple Maps. It was always accurate for me. I say loved because I'm back using my iPhone 4 on
iOS 5.0.1 and my computer won't recognize my phone, so I can't upgrade. It was great while it lasted.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I think people should give there approximate location or country so we can see the countries that are lacking.

I live in the US, specifically west Kansas City. I also travel to various points in the country for work and have seen errors in different locations.

For my own home address, if you do not specify the subscript of 'th' (e.g. 58th street), it drops my location a mile to the northwest, all because you don't include the 'th'. That's just silly. Poor interpretation of address entries that Google Maps does not require.

Where I live, the subdivision a half mile to my north is half missing in Apple Maps. Half of the roads are just not there. Inaccurate data.

In lower Manhattan in NYC, it cannot find an entire skyscraper because it thinks that an address at 1 Battery Place and 1 Battery Park Plaza are one and the same location, when they're different. More inaccurate data.

In West Palm Beach, FL, it thinks that a location on Okochobee Blvd and *Old* Okochobee Blvd are the same location, when they're two completely different locations separated by about a half mile. Yet again, bad data at work.

What's more annoying (and someone else touched on this) is that if you do submit errors and corrections, it seems that they are never acted upon whereas Google is fairly quick to make corrections when submitted.

It's clear that Google has much more resources committed to its maps product (as well as many more years of a head start) and more fine-tuned data. Whatever data Apple has been relying on for their maps has more inaccuracies compared to Google. This is in my own observed experience, not from reading a tech blog conditioning my opinion.

I do know that Apple has been more aggressive in buying up location data startups to bolster their mapping data, which is a great thing. Although I still wonder how robust of a solution that is vs. Google gathering all their data in-house? I'm surprised that Apple isn't using at least a portion of it's massive cash pile to really go all in bolstering their mapping data. They have the money to do it.

Last edited:

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
For me both Apple's and Google's services have had their moments. While the latter is more polished, I prefer to use the former for navigation. I am surprised at how well the search engine has improved on Maps compared to what it was before. Still needs work though. I am looking forward to the day when I can just use one, preferably Apple's.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
It was locked by mistake. I re-openned it. We almost never lock threads. Here's a parable:

I once had a teacher who was absolutely amazing at something. I asked him how he got that way. He said he went back and took his lessons 3 times. I thought he was nuts. He explained, however, that every time it was taught a little differently, and that different people asked different questions. By going back, he got more answers, and he came to understand the subject matter very deeply.

He was one of the finest craftsman I've ever met. He understood the value of repetition.

There will always be duplicate threads. There will always be people who fail to find value in discussion.

That's fine. No one has to participate in every discussion on every topic.

But the more times something is discussed, the greater the odds of new people finding it, of new points being raised, of new questions and new answers being generated.

I'll stop before i punish anyone with "nature has billions of beautiful, unique snowflakes" because, yuck. But I hope you get the point.

A closed thread is an admission of failure. We don't fail. We don't close threads.

We discuss things. We enjoy each other's opinions. We're a community.

Insert hippie joke here.

​Clear enough?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Admission of failure? lol...come on. This is a quantity vs. quality issue, but hey, I'm just a drop in the bucket here, and if that is ok with yall, go for it.

This was a duplicate thread of a thread started on the same day at the same time with the same EXACT discussion going on...that's simple post whoring (kind of like the 4 other posts where this OP talks about how he's getting another iphone, or thinking about getting another iPhone).

Didn't seem like a mistake, but again...the world will keep spinning. We do discuss things, but sometimes it's incredibly obvious when we have so many of these types of posts that the content of the forum itself is becoming quite thin.

Either way, last i have to say about it personally. I won't derail this anymore.

03_CTD

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully there was some transparency or discussion with the mod who locked it BEFORE it was re-opened. Mods here do an amazing job at their own discretion and it would be a shame for this particular one to feel undermined!

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I also prefer Apples as it will work real well with my devices( I already have OSX mavericks and being able to send directs to my iPad is great!)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

anon(5895641)

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok so i tried Apple Maps again yesterday since I haven't used it in a while. FIrst off I was trying to go to the gym so I search 24 hour fitness and it doesn't even find the gym I'm looking for which is like 3-4 miles away. I search with google maps and it pops up instantly. This is southern california, not some small city in kansas....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2