i'm new to apple, but why do i need to have a credit card on filefor a free app???
    12-08-2011 11:23 AM
    You need the card on file for in app purchases, for non-free apps, etc.
    ricking likes this.
    12-08-2011 12:32 PM
    Actually if you create an iTunes account with a iTunes Gift Card, you can bypass that credit or debit card stuff.
    ricking likes this.
    12-09-2011 12:59 AM
    There's two options I know of having I just went through this having created accounts for my two daughters. Apple Support has an article specifically for this issue at support.apple.com/kb/ht2534. Creating an iTunes App Store account without a credit card. Alternatively, if you simply go to appleid.apple.com, I think you can effectively do the same thing.

Rgds/Mark M.
    ricking likes this.
    12-09-2011 09:08 AM
    once i created an account w/o a cc will i be able to download just free apps???
    12-09-2011 11:53 AM
    No. You need a gift card or CC on file
    12-09-2011 12:17 PM
    I would think so judging by the Apple support article, but I've never tried it so I'd have to defer to big9erfan who's got much more experience with Apple.

Rgds/Mark M.
    12-09-2011 02:38 PM
    Actually if you create an iTunes account with a iTunes Gift Card, you can bypass that credit or debit card stuff.
    this is a helpful hint.

iTunes CC info is always a PITA. My buddy wasn't able to download anything from the app store on his ipad 2 for over 3 months because there was an issue with the card number on file and for some reason nothing he did to change it worked.
    12-09-2011 04:53 PM
    What's the big deal? Take the tinfoil hat off and put a credit card on file...
    ProfessorTripp likes this.
    12-10-2011 11:21 AM
    i bought a visa gift card went into my itunes acct change billing info to the new card and now it says the security code is wrong and it is right!!! wtf
    12-10-2011 02:43 PM
    What's the big deal? Take the tinfoil hat off and put a credit card on file...
    thanks auntie m
    12-10-2011 02:43 PM
    Just use a iTunes gift card if you want to

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    12-10-2011 03:29 PM
    Hm. Can you still add a PayPal account as your form of payment?
    12-10-2011 08:28 PM
    i bought a 2
    $25 visa gift card itunes dinged it 7 times for the $3.41 i owed and theo from apple id said he could not do a thing about it... this is why android is kicking apples ***... i dont want to go back to android,i love my iphone...but i'm begining to wonder...is it worth it.
    12-12-2011 07:31 AM
    Again, take off your tinfoil hat and put a damn credit card into iTunes. You won't have any of these issues.

As far Android kicking Apples ***, nice try. Show me one Android phone that's outsold any one iPhone.
    ProfessorTripp likes this.
    12-12-2011 10:53 AM
    I had a issue with a security code took never was able to figure out why and it was my actual bank card. I ended up not having another card to use and used iTunes cards I then contacted apple and had them remove my card from my profile all together that worked and just recently I added a card back on a diff one this time and it worked fine
    12-12-2011 12:55 PM
    when they say gift card- they don't mean Visa gift card- Not sure how those work for online purchases... They mean itunes gift card- Also not sure why you are so concerned about using a credit card for itunes- they only charge what you authorize them to charge- its really not a big deal-
    12-12-2011 01:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD