Blog apps

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I am thinking of starting a blog and want to use a blog type app to make all my posts. I have not done any blogging before. I will be starting from scratch and want to use a free Blog service like Blog Spot.

What are the best apps for Bloggers that are universal? I have been using the iPad since its launch and have become an upscaling snob, I cant stand non-native apps! :)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Blogger just released an official app recently, but I much, much prefer Tumblr, both for mobile and non-mobile use. They make a great iOS app, offer a ton of good free themes, and just generally have a much more appealing look than Blogger (and like Blogger, it's free). You might also look at Wordpress; I'm not very familiar with them (I wanted to use a custom domain with my blog and Wordpress charges for that) but they have a wide user base.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Isn't Tumblr as short blog post thing like Twitter? I think I am ok with using Blog Spot for the blog. I just don't like the non-native iPad app.

I don't mind buying the app as long as its good. I don't want to pay for the actual blog though.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Tumblr can be as long or short as you want. One nice thing about it is that it provides an easy way to upload just about anything you'd like, and everything is formatted without you having to think about it. (See an app screenshot below.)

I actually used to use Blogger, but they were getting seriously behind the times...when they finally introduced mobile themes earlier this year I was so excited, only to discover that they only offered one theme, and it used a white background. Since my blog used white text, none of it was visible in the mobile theme. Eventually I got tired of always fixing little things like that on Blogger. Tried out Tumblr and was hooked pretty quickly by the ease of use--mainly because it made me want to blog more.

Tumblr:
tumblr_lnmsw1NFtV1qzopy0o1_r1_500.png

Blogger:
IMG_0125.PNG

I tried them side by side for a while; you might enjoy doing that as a way to see which is a better fit for you.

Reactions: bamf-hacker

dwfw

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Blogger just released an official app recently, but I much, much prefer Tumblr, both for mobile and non-mobile use. They make a great iOS app, offer a ton of good free themes, and just generally have a much more appealing look than Blogger (and like Blogger, it's free). You might also look at Wordpress; I'm not very familiar with them (I wanted to use a custom domain with my blog and Wordpress charges for that) but they have a wide user base.

I use WP on my personal domain without charge. The key is finding a webhost that includes WP as a free add-on (GoDaddy does).

I played a bit with the WP app, but writing a whole blog post on my phone is not something that I would like to do.

Calcifer2

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I use WP too. It's a pain to edit large posts, though. It has been updated for this recently, but I haven't tried the update yet. It's great for general stat checking.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2