What apps are worth paying for??

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Got about 2 weeks before my upgrade at Verizon, looking to get the iphone4. Someone has recently given me a $10 itune GC.

What paid apps are worth it??

Thanks

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
What apps are worth paying for is a personal question. I just bought 3 apps for my iPad and paid $45, but they are priceless to me since it let's me use my iPad to manage my servers.

Give us a list of the category of apps you are interested in and you can get a better feeling from the forum of what they feel is a "worth paying for" app.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Apps:

Twitelator (Best Twitter app for the iPad, IMO)
Pages (Word processor)
Beejive IM
iStudiez Pro
2Do
Weather+
Procreate
Penultimate
The Daily
Course Notes
Early Edition

Games:
Cut The Rope HD
Real Racing 1&2 HD
Plants VS Zombies HD
Angry Birds RIO HD
eBoy FixPix
Land-A-Panda

xjki

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Apps i have bought without any regrets:
- Navigon Europe (costly one but i bought it on sale some 20 usd less and it is really must have it if you travel in Europe)
- Jamie Oliver 20 min meals (i use at least one recipe from the app weekly)
- DrinkControl (tracking drinks and costs)
- Trainyard (i'm not a person crazy for game but this puzzler is great when you have nothing else to do)

reputationZed

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Apps:

Things
UPad
LogMe In
TextExpander
1Password
iCab
iA Writer
WritePad
Mr. Reader

Services: (all of these services are available in free versions. The paid versions add a few features, but the primary reason I pay for the premium versions is to support the developers. They are all still a bargain for the amount of times I use them)

Dropbox premium
Evernote premium
Readability premium

Games:

Slice HD (not for the squeamish)
Real Racing 2 HD

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
A lot of free ones are worth paying for. Evernote is an example. I signed up for the pro version because I wanted to give the guys money. Dropbox is another.

I have also paid for a couple just to see what they were like. Rarely disappointed.

The Apple model of high volume, low price, works really well. We get far more value per dollar than, for example, in the personal computer market. Imagine Keynote, Pages, or Numbers for $10-.

Even some of the low volume, high price apps like TomTom or LogMeIn Ignition are great values. If you see an app on the high gross list, it is probably a good buy.

I love my MacBook Air, I like my Dell XP. However, the iPhone and iPad are much better values because of the high value software and the software pricing model.

I confess that it is difficult to find the best values among 300K apps but it is fun trying. Discovering a new valuable app makes your day.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Completely depends on what you're looking for. Games? Productivity? Health and fitness?
Do not forget travel. That so many travel apps are free does not mean that they are not worth paying for.

Most of the priced apps for travel are destination specific. I find that the $1-5 apps for a country or city are much better values than a guide book. Going to Denmark next month, already have the app. Like many of these apps, it is location aware. So, it really has two uses, one for planning and one for navigating and finding.

Perhaps my favorite travel app is iMap, a free app that meets your test of "worth paying for." While the app is free, one may a premium for connectivity in foreign destinations. So, in preparation for my trip to Copenhagen, I will sign up for an Xcom Global MiFi card, in part because it allowed me to use iMap in London.

I am reminded of my first cell-phone, analog, the size and weight of a brick, $1500 for the phone and a $1/minute for connect time, plus roaming and tolls. I hardly used it for any of the purposes for which I pretended to justify it. However, I discovered dozens of uses that I could not have anticipated. The same is true of my iPhone and my iPad. They are life changing in ways that I could not anticipate until I had them. I am still discovering life changing apps every week or so. The value blows away even the best personal computer and, of course, that first cell phone.

Go to YouTube, watch Bridger and think about what Steve hath wrought. Do not be fooled into believing that just any tablet will deliver the value of an iPad. The iPad is what it is because it followed the iPhone. They are both what they are because of the apps.

The apps are to the iPhone/iPad as Morse Code was to the telegraph and Steve Jobs will rank in history with Morse, Goodyear, Whitney, Ford, Bell, and Edison. He has enriched us all.

Last edited:

macdudly

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
weel i got this app iAnamnesi (medical history).. I am a dentist, I am very happy with that.
I can do the medical history questionnaire directly with the iPad end save the file in PDF or print it. love it, my patients love it too.

iAnamnesi

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
There are quite a few, but these are essential for work and play for me.

Instapaper ($4.99)
ArtRage ($6.99)
Netflix (App: Free, Service: $7.99 a month)
Star Walk ($4.99)
TouchReTouch HD ($0.99)
Flickpad Pro ($2.99; limited time at $0.99)
Web Albums ($2.99)
Soundnote ($4.99)
Fruit Ninja HD ($2.99)
Plants vs. Zombies HD ($6.99)
Color Splash for iPad ($1.99)
Quickoffice Connect Mobile Suite for iPad ($14.99) or Documents to Go Premium ($16.99)
GoodReader ($4.99)
Logmein Ignition ($29.99)*

*First App purchased

This is part of my 20 + Essential iPad Apps - I am Therefore iPad: 20 Essential iPad Apps (The Best iPad Apps?)

Last edited:

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
What paid apps are worth it??
I don't understand why questions like this are so rampant on every forum site.

Worth is always highly subjective no matter what the topic. You can certainly poll people on what they think is worth it but unless their needs/wants happen to precisely line up with your own then their suggestions may or may not be relevant.

Rather than taking the shotgun approach you should at least indicate what types of apps you're interested in. Suggestions for apps that you have no interest in won't benefit you at all.

Spend some time reading the apps forums. Reading the discussions will give you a better idea of how an app might fit you versus just lists of apps from random strangers.

MyBestiPadApps

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
My favorites:
NASA App HD
WolframAlpha
ComicStrip - CS
Color Splash for iPad
GoSkyWatch Planetarium - the astronomy star guide
iStudiez Pro
Penultimate
Weather HD