iOS 4 Issues and Bugs

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Well I have a suggestion. If all future posters in this thread can post what iPhone/iPod touch they have and what version of iOS they are updating from, that would be ideal. Also, were you previously jailbroken? Maybe that way we can narrow these down more specifically. I know some of you have your model in your signature, but help if you can. Thanks.

3GS 16 gig non JB 3.1.3 --> 4.0

My issues were listed in one of the earlier posts.

Last edited:

paulrkiii

Sep 29, 2009
www.facebook.com
Well I have a suggestion. If all future posters in this thread can post what iPhone/iPod touch they have and what version of iOS they are updating from, that would be ideal. Maybe that way we can narrow these down more specifically. I know some of you have your model in your signature, but help if you can. Thanks.

3GS 16 gig 3.1.3 --> 4.0

3GS 32 gig 3.1.3 (jailbroke with spirit) --> 4.0

So far my issues are:
No 3g, edge, or wifi data
No MMS

Last edited:

ericadams01

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
This is the very reason one should have their contacts synced via a cloud setup like Google Sync or Mobile Me. There are several of them for the iPhone now.

Switching from one iOS to another is always tricky for backups via iTunes at least that has been my experience. Get the CLOUD! :)

Sorry that you are experiencing this, I know it has to be a pain to recreate all that data and in some cases you probably can't!

Thanks for the suggestion but I do have all my contacts in the cloud via Google Sync but some reason they are have problems with the calendar and contacts part syncing to the phone. Maybe Google/Apple will get some kind of fix soon.

dkunzman

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Device Type - List Here

Well I have a suggestion. If all future posters in this thread can post what iPhone/iPod touch they have and what version of iOS they are updating from, that would be ideal. Also, were you previously jailbroken? Maybe that way we can narrow these down more specifically. I know some of you have your model in your signature, but help if you can. Thanks.

3GS 16 gig non JB 3.1.3 --> 4.0

Suggest listing them in the subject line

MrReliability

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
iPod Touch Features

Two of the features my girls were most looking forward to don't appear to work on the iPod touch (3rd Generation).

1) Multitasking (double clicking home button -- nothing or what is in settings)
2) Home Screen Wallpaper (same as previous OS) only modifies lock screen.

I thought these were supposed to be included in the OS update for the newer touches but I can't seem to find those features as I do on my iPhone. Did I misunderstand or am I missing something?

Hickory Shampoo#IM

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
3Gs

I'm getting a pop-up box saying my Voicemail password is incorrect. Only I've never used a password for my VM, nor do I have a message waiting. This is gonna be irritating when I finally get one.

Last edited:

MrReliability

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
how freaking long does the backup take? it's been over an hour and barely moved millimeters...

The backup when done with the update is what takes so long. There was a post above that indicated a much faster way (which I tried and agree, takes 25 to 30 minutes). Manually Backup, then Restore to Factory Settings with Update, then Restore from previous Backup and you are all done in about 30 minutes! Good luck.

Smalls

Jun 22, 2010
mygamingnet.co.cc
how freaking long does the backup take? it's been over an hour and barely moved millimeters...

Pro tip: Delete apps you don't use. You can stop the backup process and start right back at it after you finish deleting the apps, just hit the update button again and it will start the backup process again.

I had the same issue. ;)

john_v

Apr 20, 2010
www.vinniesphotos.blogspot.com
Pro tip: Delete apps you don't use. You can stop the backup process and start right back at it after you finish deleting the apps, just hit the update button again and it will start the backup process again.

I had the same issue. ;)

I did what someone else mentioned and unsynced all my photos (over 3000) and once I was able to download the update it took less than 15 minutes to complete the install.

32g 3Gs 3.1.3 ---> 4.0!!!!

Now just trying to work out the google sync issue....:mad:

MJM2324

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
The backup when done with the update is what takes so long. There was a post above that indicated a much faster way (which I tried and agree, takes 25 to 30 minutes). Manually Backup, then Restore to Factory Settings with Update, then Restore from previous Backup and you are all done in about 30 minutes! Good luck.

clicked restore and update. waiting now... won't even let me listen to music. this sux :mad:

TheMinibishop

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else lose MMS?

I did. I don't know what's going on. Trying hard reset. That didn't work. Going to try to restore from an old back-up.

UPDATE: I did not restore from an old back-up as, they were too old (The most recent I found was from September 2009). So I called AT&T. They made sure everything in the system was refreshed and sent me a free test MMS. It came through just fine. They asked me to send a picture and a video. They went through as well.

Last edited:

rackerjoe

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I no longer have Visual Voicemail. Touching the voicemail tab dials the old-style non-iPhone voicemail.

I had the same problem - hitting the voice mail tab called the voice mail service. I fixed it by letting the dial go through, hit * to disconnect, and it asked me for my voice mail password. I entered that and visual voice mail is working again.

YMMV.

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Anyone get iBooks to download or work yet?

iBooks is working great. You just have to go to purchased in the store and download the books on your phone ir iPod touch. It took me a little bit to figure out where my books were. Now, it's working great.

brownie

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
@BROWNIE having the same problem with my wife's phone. she backed the phone a couple of days go. so it wont let me skip the back up process. Funny thing is I skipped the back up on my phone and i got it downloaded with no problem and that was at 10:14am. this is on 3g

I cancelled the update, clicked "restore" which wiped out everything on the phone and then it automatically installed iOS 4, prompted me to restore from the latest backup (which I had done right before trying to install iOS 4). The first part was quick, but then it re-synced and that took a while - but not as long as it seemed to take the other way.

Only downside is that a bunch of apps are missing from the phone and won't sync from my Mac/iTunes. I'm reinstalling from AppStore.

Make sure you backup first if you try this way of installing iOS 4.

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
iPod touch 32g iPhone 3GS iPad

Two of the features my girls were most looking forward to don't appear to work on the iPod touch (3rd Generation).

1) Multitasking (double clicking home button -- nothing or what is in settings)
2) Home Screen Wallpaper (same as previous OS) only modifies lock screen.

I thought these were supposed to be included in the OS update for the newer touches but I can't seem to find those features as I do on my iPhone. Did I misunderstand or am I missing something?

The iPod touch doesn't work if it's the 8g model. Only the larger models.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711