Hi,

A friend of mine is considering getting her daughter an iPhone for Christmas but is wondering if there is an app(s) that allow the daughter to send and receive text messages while driving. The idea being the incoming message would come across as a voice and she could speak her message to send out.

I've searched the forum but can't find anything so I'm wondering does an app or apps like this exist?

The iPhone is not likely going to be jailbroken (just in case you're wondering).

Thanks,

Darryl
    12-03-2009 11:41 AM
    Anyone???

All feedback is appreciated.
    12-05-2009 06:31 PM
    Shoutout is an iPhone application which will convert the voice to text SMS. This app has not been launched in iTunes. It will be released in the near future. So, have an eye on this app.
    12-08-2009 06:00 AM
    Thanks alfred_1986.

Darryl
    12-08-2009 11:57 AM
    I've been playing with the new Dragon Dictation app this morning and it seems to work great for voice to text. But, you still have to handle the device to make the recording and send it to email or SMS.
    12-08-2009 12:39 PM
    Thanks for the information. I can't find the app in the Itunes store, I think it is because I'm in Canada.

I'll wait until it's available here.

Darryl
    12-09-2009 11:26 AM
    you have different apps in the appstore because you're into hockey, curling, saying "Eh," and thinking touks? I figured you'd go to the same apple.com as everyone else and not some apple.ca

?
    12-09-2009 04:01 PM
    Eh? Now that we're between periods I ran back to my igloo to check out the Forum and you're right I go to the apple.com and into the app store but no matter how many different ways I type dragon dictation my search comes up blank, happens on my iPhone and computer which is why i attributed it to my location.

Maybe a fellow Canuck can chime in and tell me if they can find it or tell me what i'm doing wrong.

Darryl
    12-10-2009 11:59 AM
    You can try this link, but I do believe I have read that Canada & the US have different app stores:

iTunes Store
    12-10-2009 12:21 PM
    Thanks for the link but without a US address I can't create an account, I can't use paypal beause it wants a valid US funding source. There are different app stores when i tried to enter my current account information I was redirected to the Canadian store.

Guess I'll just have to wait an hope its released for Canadian residents soon.

Thanks for your help.

Darryl
    12-10-2009 05:15 PM
    They must be tweaking the app to recognize words like "oot" and "aboot", eh? Dragon dictation works well, but JohnH is right, it is not hands free. Probably just as well... most of us don't need another distraction while driving.
    12-13-2009 09:04 AM
    I like dragon dictation also. But as others have said, you still need to look at the device. Tell your friend to tell their daughter to ignore the phone while driving. She'll live longer.
    12-15-2009 01:24 AM
    Ignoring the phone while driving would be the logical and sensible thing to do BUT she is a teenager and they know what's best right?

Darryl
    12-15-2009 01:20 PM
    Dragon Dictation is useful and can be a great substitute for typing, but wow, a parent looking for a way to make it easier for a young driver to reply to texts seems pretty misguided!
    12-28-2009 10:57 PM
    Since it is getting so complicated, why not choose some other phones which might already have this function?
    12-28-2009 11:42 PM
    Dragon dictation works well, but has downfalls. Looking for something better
    12-30-2009 02:38 PM
    Thanks for the input everyone. I've shared your comments and thoughts with my friend. She did get her daughter an iPhone and "told her not to text while driving". We'll see how that goes.

Darryl
    01-04-2010 11:49 AM
    I've tried Dragon Voice while driving, and with the road noise it hasn't been very accurate. Or maybe it just doesn't like my voice :o)

Marne
    applesauceblog.com
    01-04-2010 03:58 PM
    Yeah, Dragon is good, not perfect, but still awesome!
    01-05-2010 02:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD