Anyone used GV Mobile (3rd party google voice app)?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
iTunes Store Link

I finally got my GV invite the other day and was looking for iPhone app to make it easier to use. Right now I can't listen to voice mails in safari, just sits there saying loading. Plus there are other cool features that would be nice to have.

I don't believe the developer is planning on adding push support (don't think it's possible as a 3rd party app) so that kinda sucks. Not sure if I should just buy this app, it's only $2.99 or if I should wait for an official, probably free google voice app?

Thoughts?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Why not just have the mp3 forwarded to your email and listen from there?

I've been using GV for about 2 years, and can't imagine bothering with an app for it that doesn't come straight from Google.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I just tried the free version iTunes Store

In this version it just lets you make an outbound call using your iPhone phone book which is pretty nice.

Why not just have the mp3 forwarded to your email and listen from there?

I've been using GV for about 2 years, and can't imagine bothering with an app for it that doesn't come straight from Google.

I don't see anyway to do that? It sends me an email with a link which then opens up in safari and looks like it will play the file, but just sits there loading and then crashes safari.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I got a link that opened the sound right up. It went to Safari, but worked just fine.

I just tried it brand new to make sure they hadn't changed something along with the name change. Not sure why it's not loading for you.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I got a link that opened the sound right up. It went to Safari, but worked just fine.

I just tried it brand new to make sure they hadn't changed something along with the name change. Not sure why it's not loading for you.

I'm on a 3GS running 3.1, that might have something to do with it.

nm1k0

Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
GV Mobile is awesome. I use it all the time and love it. I just wish there was a call out feature instead of the call back one. Or an option to switch it.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Can someone tell me in layman's terms what Google Voice is? I'm sure it's great, I use several Google products as it is.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Google Voice is a telephone switchboard.

You enter the numbers where you want to be reached: home, work, cell, spouse's cell, etc. You give out the GV number, & when someone dials it - all those numbers will ring. You choose which phone to answer. The caller won't know (or care).

There is much more (obviously), but that's the nuts and bolts.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
It is free but you have to receive an invite from Google. I think you just have to ask for one and they eventually send you an invite. I have had mine since it was Grand Central so I am a little fuzzy on how they do it now since it is GV.

Here is a good article from Lifehacker that explains how GV works. Here is another on how to transition to GV.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2