Redbox iPhone app coming soon

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
AWESOME. I can't wait to try it out.

edit. I just went to your site, and it looks like you are now waiting to deploy the app based on legal and privacy issues. Do you think you will still be able to release the app once you fix some things???

That looks great.

habdelra

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
So part of the problem is that this app was created totally outside the control of Redbox. Functionality it's pretty solid, and ready to go into itunes. Legally, I could get the pants sued off of me if I do that. So i'm working with another company that is interested in buying the IP and working out the legal issues. So there might be a little delay in getting this into iTunes, but i'm pretty confident we'll get this sorted out soon.

habdelra

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Just an update, We've partnered with the folks at insideredbox.com to also provide promocodes with the redbox iphone application. We've formed a new company and are still on track to release the redbox iphone application.

We have a new website and updated demo videos and screen shots:
appboxmobile.com

Last edited:

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
Cool. I saw that via your RSS feed. When do you expect it to be out? Will you be updating the RSS at your old site or adding a new RSS to your new site?

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to trying it out.

habdelra

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Tentatively we are shooting for the first half of March to get it live in the App Store. All communication will be moving over to the new site. We're planning on getting a developer's blog setup soon for the new website.

habdelra

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Redbox app submitted to Apple

The Redbox iPhone app has been submitted to apple today. Hopefully the iTunes gods will smile upon us, and in about 2 weeks time we'll see a Redbox app appear in the App Store.

Inside Redbox Mobile is the best way to find and rent movies from Redbox, as well get the latest Promo Codes for FREE rentals. IMHO, it is much more fun to use than the redbox kiosk (or website) itself.

Features:
- View, search and browse all of the latest movies available at Redbox, including movie descriptions, ratings, release date, genre, and more
- Find the nearest Redbox locations using GPS or by manually entering your address
- See the LIVE inventory of any Redbox kiosk in the US and Puerto Rico
- View details on the Promo Codes currently listed on the Inside Redbox website (the authority on Redbox Promo Codes)
- Reserve a movie directly from the app
- See the NEWEST Promo Codes before anyone else does

Try for FREE, Buy for $2.99

We'll make an announcement on appboxmobile.com when the app is available in the app store.

Additionally, we have all sorts of super cool ideas lined up for subsequent versions: movie trailers, up coming (soon to be released) movies, promo code submission, promo code usage tracking, netflix like movie queuing (track the movies you have seen and the movies you wanna see), and lots more stuff.

Cheers!
-Hassan

habdelra

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
We'll see what the market will bear ;). one bonus with this app is that you will actually save money if you use the promo codes available from the app (especially if you are new to redbox promo codes). In which case the app will pay for itself.

-hassan

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
hassan,
Great. I'm looking forward to trying out this app. Been following along in your rss feed, watching the new betas go up and waiting.

Thanks for giving us a lite/free option, that way I can try it out and see how much I value the application. I also agree with robdam, $3 might be a bit high, especially since I'm a cheapskate.

I had one question on the codes....I've been receiving Inside Redbox emails for many months. While I don't spend too much time reading them in detail or reading much at the site, but I thought it simply emails out the free Monday codes that one receives in a text message from Redbox. In that case, it is not offering me anything more than I already receive through text messages from Redbox.

Are there other codes that Inside Redbox and your new app will offer?

Thanks for the info and good luck getting through Apple's application approval system.

habdelra

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
There are a lot more codes than just the Monday codes. The app actually integrated with the largest redbox code sharing forum, insideredbox.com. In the first release the integraton is one way. In up coming releases youlll also be able to post new codes as well.

habdelra

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Big setback during app store approval process

We just ran into a huge snag with theapp store approval for the redbox app: I just got a call from Apple that they do not allow in-app purchases, and our DVD rental page qualifies as an in-app purchase. We were advised that instead we'll have to direct the user to a web page (presumably) redbox's to complete the transaction. This is totally doable--but it really sucks from a usability perspective.

Perhaps we offer a jailbreak version that is created the way it should be--with an in-app purchase...

What do you guys think?

-Hassan

zukir02

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
That blows, I was really looking forward to this app. I guess I will just have to keep going to the website on my phone then.

habdelra

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
well the app is not dead yet. it's just that the purchase process will be a little "clunkier" that we'd like--the functionality will still be there. as a result we'll probably knock a $1 off from the price of the full version.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2