Bought a new iPhone 8 yesterday

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I realize it is 2019 ;-) but I love the smaller form factor, and the fingerprint sensor and I actually like the bezels yes I like the bezels it gives you some place to rest your thumbs when you’re watching YouTube videos etc. Sure I could’ve gone with an iPhone 11 but in Canada it’s literally twice the price as a brand new iPhone 8. I’m coming from an iPhone 7 and iWorld gave me a good trade for it. It was still locked to my service provider so basically we phoned the provider from I world and we had it remotely unlocked via satellite, pretty cool. The iPhone 7 was the best phone I ever had and the only one I had before that was the iPhone 5c for Apple phones. Seven had a battery health of 87% and it was actually really starting to drain quite fast. Even though the batteries are smaller on the eight I find it amazing that The smaller battery can last so much longer, and also because of the advanced chip. If I understand correctly it’s the same chip that’s in the iPhone X? So that should be powerful enough for at least three more years of iOS updates, perhaps four? As long as they don’t for sake the iPhone 8 because it has a fingerprint sensor, or something like that, just a thought.

I had an issue with it though when I got it home the Wi-Fi wouldn’t connect, well technically it was if you clicked under Wi-Fi it would be checked off but at the top of the page there was no Wi-Fi symbol with the three lines. So I went back to iWorld and they had to wipe it clean and reinstall the software, that only took about 25 minutes and it seems to be running good. Another reason I wanted the eight was because I have quite a few cases from my seven and they fit good although now I’m a little more nervous using my smart battery case because there’s literally never any screen protection or screen lip on those things so until I get a good OtterBox and find a deal, I bought one of the cheap Chinese knock off OtterBox commuter‘s, well two of them actually and they’re not too bad to tell you the truth. There are some sharp edges and they are a little rough in quality but generally they have great screen lip protection and it feels every bit like the OtterBox commuter I got a couple of years ago from my iPhone 7.

Anyway it’s definitely nice to go from 32 GB in storage to 64 and it’s especially nice to have a fresh battery and the form factor you like so I don’t have any regrets and I’m sure I’ll get three good years out of it minimum.

Has anyone else here bought an iPhone 8 recently and are you happy with it?

8996b99a02334347a92e8a9b76d5fa97.jpg

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations and I hope you enjoy your new iPhone 8. What colour did you get?

A friend of mine got one a couple months ago, and he loves it.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Congratulations and I hope you enjoy your new iPhone 8. What colour did you get?

A friend of mine got one a couple months ago, and he loves it.

Thanks. Well unfortunately I wanted the silver white one but they were completely sold out so they only had the space gray or the gold and I actually took the gold because my iPhone 7 was the yellow gold one, but I find this iPhone 8 gold colour is more like a cross between rose gold and yellow gold, somewhere in between. Still a nice colour.

I didn’t want a black one because when you put them on a table in your living room when you’re watching a movie, Usually in darkness, I always end up putting my coffee mug on it because I can’t see it LOL so I definitely want to be able to see the phone :p

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
I think this was the first photo from it.

So far I’m not really noticing any difference in quality or better dark photos than my iPhone 7 as it supposed to have but it’s winter here now and I can’t exactly go walking by the river to really test out this camera.

2441b3cb1679dd39c9cd128247c24585.jpg

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Well unfortunately I wanted the silver white one but they were completely sold out so they only had the space gray or the gold and I actually took the gold because my iPhone 7 was the yellow gold one, but I find this iPhone 8 gold colour is more like a cross between rose gold and yellow gold, somewhere in between. Still a nice colour.

I didn’t want a black one because when you put them on a table in your living room when you’re watching a movie, Usually in darkness, I always end up putting my coffee mug on it because I can’t see it LOL so I definitely want to be able to see the phone :p
Great choice! I like the gold colour, and it's unique, since most people including my friend have space grey.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I think this was the first photo from it.

So far I’m not really noticing any difference in quality or better dark photos than my iPhone 7 as it supposed to have but it’s winter here now and I can’t exactly go walking by the river to really test out this camera.

2441b3cb1679dd39c9cd128247c24585.jpg
That's not at all shabby. I'm sure the camera will capture some great shots for you.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I mean low light is sort of a bad indicator of photo quality but I’m sure on a sunny day it would be pretty razor sharp
I agree. That picture you posted looks decent to me, so I think it'll only get better when you take pictures in better lighting situations.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
I agree. That picture you posted looks decent to me, so I think it'll only get better when you take pictures in better lighting situations.

Yeah that picture wasn’t bad but I took some pictures in a darker area earlier today and they were either completely blurry for some reason and I usually have a steady hand and not very sharp around the edges but I have to do more testing

love4speechless

Sep 25, 2018
Visit site
Sometimes I wish I kept my 8+ for longer. I was playing around with my 5c the other day and realized how much I miss the home button. The updated cameras however keep sucking me in lol

I still think my 6+ is the best phone I’ve ever owned.

Enjoy your new phone

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
My wife still has the 8 plus and loves it.
I’m waiting for the SE2 or whatever it will be called early next year and may jump on that.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I realize it is 2019 ;-) but I love the smaller form factor, and the fingerprint sensor and I actually like the bezels yes I like the bezels it gives you some place to rest your thumbs when you’re watching YouTube videos etc. Sure I could’ve gone with an iPhone 11 but in Canada it’s literally twice the price as a brand new iPhone 8. I’m coming from an iPhone 7 and iWorld gave me a good trade for it. It was still locked to my service provider so basically we phoned the provider from I world and we had it remotely unlocked via satellite, pretty cool. The iPhone 7 was the best phone I ever had and the only one I had before that was the iPhone 5c for Apple phones. Seven had a battery health of 87% and it was actually really starting to drain quite fast. Even though the batteries are smaller on the eight I find it amazing that The smaller battery can last so much longer, and also because of the advanced chip. If I understand correctly it’s the same chip that’s in the iPhone X? So that should be powerful enough for at least three more years of iOS updates, perhaps four? As long as they don’t for sake the iPhone 8 because it has a fingerprint sensor, or something like that, just a thought.

I had an issue with it though when I got it home the Wi-Fi wouldn’t connect, well technically it was if you clicked under Wi-Fi it would be checked off but at the top of the page there was no Wi-Fi symbol with the three lines. So I went back to iWorld and they had to wipe it clean and reinstall the software, that only took about 25 minutes and it seems to be running good. Another reason I wanted the eight was because I have quite a few cases from my seven and they fit good although now I’m a little more nervous using my smart battery case because there’s literally never any screen protection or screen lip on those things so until I get a good OtterBox and find a deal, I bought one of the cheap Chinese knock off OtterBox commuter‘s, well two of them actually and they’re not too bad to tell you the truth. There are some sharp edges and they are a little rough in quality but generally they have great screen lip protection and it feels every bit like the OtterBox commuter I got a couple of years ago from my iPhone 7.

Anyway it’s definitely nice to go from 32 GB in storage to 64 and it’s especially nice to have a fresh battery and the form factor you like so I don’t have any regrets and I’m sure I’ll get three good years out of it minimum.

Has anyone else here bought an iPhone 8 recently and are you happy with it?

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191117/8996b99a02334347a92e8a9b76d5fa97.jpg

Congrats RJ. My one daughter has the 8 and my wife has the 8 Plus and both are happy with them. Depending on usage the Otterbox Defender or the Otterbox Symmetry with tempered 9H screen protector are good choices

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations on getting your new iPhone 8. I love it when I had it so enjoy your new device, sir.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Congrats RJ. My one daughter has the 8 and my wife has the 8 Plus and both are happy with them. Depending on usage the Otterbox Defender or the Otterbox Symmetry with tempered 9H screen protector are good choices

I tend to prefer the commuter. At Best Buy I slipped on one of the new pop socket OtterBox cases in the white marble colour and there sure was no screen lip protection on that thing. They are charging $64 Canadian for those, I practically had to buy the thing because I could barely get the phone off it was so tight!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Nice! I got my wife a new iPhone 8 in July. Ordered the copper gold, but it looked more rose gold to us. So I got a rose gold case for it. It looks great. She has no interest in the newer iPhones.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711