Transferring data from iPhone 6S to iPhone 8

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Hello all. I recently upgraded to the iPhone 8. It should arrive in the mail by Friday. I currently have the 6S and would like to know what would be the best and easiest way to transfer all my stuff from current to new iPhone.

I have iCloud and do backups regularly. I am mostly concerned with having all my contacts, photos/videos, apps, safari bookmarks, calendars, emails, and notes transferred over. Would it be a matter of just restoring from iCloud backup when setting up the new device?

AT&T recommended I use the AT&T Mobile Transfer App. Anybody use this?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I wouldn't bother using AT&T's stuff. If you do an encrypted backup via computer everything including health data will transfer just fine.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't bother using AT&T's stuff. If you do an encrypted backup via computer everything including health data will transfer just fine.

I backup to iCloud via WiFi. Is this the same or I have to do it through iTunes as you've mentioned?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I backup to iCloud via WiFi. Is this the same or I have to do it through iTunes as you've mentioned?

I prefer using iTunes on my MBP because encrypted iTunes backups include more info than a normal iCloud backup. Your saved passwords, wi-fi settings, website history, and health data are all included in an encrypted iTunes back up. Those are not included in iCloud backups. Also it's just much faster to transfer the data through a direct connection from computer to device instead of transferring wirelessly.

Here's more info on how, why, and what's included in encrypted iTunes backups:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205220

And here are the other ways to restore from backup. It's really convenient if both devices are using iOS 11. Just remember that the above mentioned things aren't included in iCloud backups. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201269

One final thing to remember is to write down the password you use if you go the encrypted route and put it in a safe place.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Doing an iCloud restore will keep all that you are concerned about. There are two ways to do a iCloud restore on the 8 when you get it. One is from an old backup and that will roll all your texts or you can setup as a new device and all your iCloud apple apps will restore all that info for you.

Either way iCloud will roll everything over to the new device.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If you don't have health data to worry about, just set up with your iCloud back up. You may want to back up right before you set up your new iPhone. Everything should transfer over. When you start the process, it will give you the options to set up as new, or with a back up.

VanessaOlay

Nov 6, 2017
Visit site
You can use airmore to export data from iphone 6S to your computer, and then import them to iPhone 8. However, another way is to use apowertrans directly.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2