iPhone 8 Pricing - your thoughts?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The 64 GB model is $699 in the US, the 256GB model is priced at $849. How's that pricing for you? Too much? Just right?

As expected. You all know me, I can get by with 16 GB so the 64 will be more than enough for me. I don’t keep anything on my iPhone that I don’t use. I’ve had the 128 GB iPhone 7 Plus for a while and I’ve only used 15.2 GB....

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
As expected. You all know me, I can get by with 16 GB so the 64 will be more than enough for me. I don’t keep anything on my iPhone that I don’t use. I’ve had the 128 GB iPhone 7 Plus for a while and I’ve only used 15.2 GB....

Do you keep everything else on the cloud?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you keep everything else on the cloud?

Pretty much. I mean, I take full advantage of services like Dropbox, iCloud and OneDrive. I keep a few pics on my iPhone and maybe a video or two of my youngest sons playing sports or something, but I also upload a copy of them to OneDrive because I know it’s just a matter of time before I purge my device. I rarely have problems with my devices and I believe a part of the reason is the fact that I keep it free of unnecessary items and of course, I restore as new a few times a year like I plan to do this weekend with the GM. Although I installed it OTA yesterday, I’m going to do a clean install since it’s the finished version of iOS 11.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I really wish there'd been a 128Gb model in between! No pleasing some people I know. I don't want to pay 849 for a model without a fancy new screen and without dual cameras so I'll go 64Gb and just accept I'll have a bit of space management to do. 699 is ok but obviously less would have been nicer!

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
So I looked at my Verizon website. 8 64GB Is 249.99. (Daughter) for me the 8+ 64GB IS 399.99. I don't think the prices are that bad. 399 is what I paid for my 64GB 6S+.

Bobua21

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Considering the 8 is an incremental upgrade, I don't agree with the increase in price. However, I don't pay full price for phones anyway so it doesn't really affect me. I'll still get the iPhone 8.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Considering the 8 is an incremental upgrade, I don't agree with the increase in price. However, I don't pay full price for phones anyway so it doesn't really affect me. I'll still get the iPhone 8.

I don't think 50 bucks is too much of an increase considering the base model is going from 32 to 64GB.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Is the price jump just because of more storage? I wonder if it will go up again next year once some X features are integrated.
No the price increase is because the price of storage chips that Apple pays to suppliers has gone up and given that iPhones sell like hot cakes Apple is passing on the rise to consumers rather than sucking it up. The iPad Pro prices have risen too (on existing models) if you need more evidence of this.

Will prices go up next year too? Maybe, the one thing I will bet on is that if wholesale memory prices fall that Apple won’t cut the prices to reflect it. I’d say 699 is the new bottom line for a new model iPhone

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
No the price increase is because the price of storage chips that Apple pays to suppliers has gone up and given that iPhones sell like hot cakes Apple is passing on the rise to consumers rather than sucking it up. The iPad Pro prices have risen too (on existing models) if you need more evidence of this.

Will prices go up next year too? Maybe, the one thing I will bet on is that if wholesale memory prices fall that Apple won’t cut the prices to reflect it. I’d say 699 is the new bottom line for a new model iPhone

No, flash memory has drop in price for the past 5 years while capacity has increase in size with smaller form factors. Go look at electronic times for details.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
No, flash memory has drop in price for the past 5 years while capacity has increase in size with smaller form factors. Go look at electronic times for details.

IHS has estimated an additional $6 per device in storage cost due to the larger capacities in the new models compared to last year. This is in addition to the increased raw materials costs associated with parts like the glass enclosures and the wireless charging module.

It Just Got More Expensive to Build an iPhone https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ld-costs-rise-on-faster-chip-cameras-ihs-says

Dark_Huntress

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
It’s not the pricing. I just purchased three 12”iPad pros. So it’s not the price, it’s just from what I have read about the ten its not a fit for me. I don’t want to switch to face ID. Plus the features I am interested in already come with the 8 plus.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I would have bought a 128gb ip8 this year if they sold it. I went ahead and got the 256gb, that’s what I had last year so it’s all good I use the storage.

I don’t like the price increase, but I love my ip8.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2