How This Personal Hotspot's Working?

chain13

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I'm using IOS 11.4.1 on my iphone 7. I was using my phone connected to my laptop through USB to charge the phone. While doing that I'm also using the hotspot on my phone through Wifi. But instead connect through wifi, this setup automatically tether my iphone through USB tethering not wifi. Is it possible to disable this thing? I want to connect through wifi tethering, while connect the phone through USB for charging only.

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Turn off personal hotspot in the settings then it will just connect to the PC for charging / synching etc without enabling the internet access through the iPhone

chain13

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
Turn off personal hotspot in the settings then it will just connect to the PC for charging / synching etc without enabling the internet access through the iPhone

I want to use both at the same time. I want to connect to my iphone's personal hotspot wirelessly, while at the same time connect the iphone through USB for charging only.

But this setup always fails my wireless tethering/hotspot and exchange that into usb tethering instead.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I want to use both at the same time. I want to connect to my iphone's personal hotspot wirelessly, while at the same time connect the iphone through USB for charging only.

But this setup always fails my wireless tethering/hotspot and exchange that into usb tethering instead.

Are you trying to connect another device to your iPhone’s hotspot or the same laptop you’re charging the iPhone with?

Redundant connections aren’t possible as far as I know.

chain13

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
Are you trying to connect another device to your iPhone’s hotspot or the same laptop you’re charging the iPhone with?

Redundant connections aren’t possible as far as I know.

It’s the same laptop that I’m using.
First I set the hotspot on iphone as wifi and bluetooth only (not USB). I connect my laptop to that wifi. But once I connect my iphone to the same laptop using usb, the wifi tethering broke and automatically change to usb tethering.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It’s the same laptop that I’m using.
First I set the hotspot on iphone as wifi and bluetooth only (not USB). I connect my laptop to that wifi. But once I connect my iphone to the same laptop using usb, the wifi tethering broke and automatically change to usb tethering.

But why is that bothering you so much. You still have internet on that laptop, right?

chain13

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
But why is that bothering you so much. You still have internet on that laptop, right?

True. What bothering me is sometime the cable disconnected itself just by some light touch and I lost my internet. Thats why I prefer to use wifi instead.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
True. What bothering me is sometime the cable disconnected itself just by some light touch and I lost my internet. Thats why I prefer to use wifi instead.

That’s understandable. I don’t have any advice regarding this issue. Hopefully someone else will come along and chime in soon.

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Second option then is to disable the network adapter that windows will use when the iPhone is connected and this then will stop windows connecting to the iPhone and using its network connection as a LAN connection.

Not sure how you’d do this if you’re using Mac

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2