Once again, Apple does only gives the bare minimum necessary.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
First off, the iPhone 7 Plus looks like a great device. I love the new home button, the dual camera and the tricks it can do are great, etc. It's the first iPhone that's *really* made me want to get one.

However, when I went to Apple's store to look for an unlocked one, after selecting the options for the phone itself, the first thing it asked was what network I planned on using. I thought that was odd, since I want an unlocked device. However, I found out that's because the iPhone 7 comes in two flavors - GSM (usable on AT&T and TMo) and CDMA (Verizon and Sprint). So, instead of giving a truly unlocked phone able to go on both CDMA and GSM, Apple once again saves pennies to maximize profits. Turns out that an 'unlocked' iPhone isn't really unlocked, as once you choose one model, you're locked onto the networks using that technology. And at that point, my desire to get an iPhone 7 was gone.

Now, before anyone says it's not feasible to have a phone capable on both technologies or it'd be too expensive or whatnot, the Nexus 5x (a phone $300+ less than an iPhone 7) can access both GSM and CDMA networks and switch between them on the fly. Apple makes good products (I've had a couple iPods and I still enjoy my iPad Air to this day), but it gets so tiring to see them skimp out on the hardware to milk every cent of profit out of their products.

I guess if I have an item for the iPhone 8 wishlist, it's to have an actually 100% unlocked phone capable of being used on any network because it has *all* the antennas needed for every carrier option, like other phones already have.

(Ugh. English fail on my part, too. If a Moderator could please remove the word 'does' from the title, that'd be great.)

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
The reason it is different for the iPhone now is because the patent for having CDMA and GSM tech in the same phone has expired. I hear that your best bet is to get the Verizon model, because it is said to work with most networks.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Verizon/Sprint model will work with both GSM and CDMA networks. The speculation is that when the unlocked model is released, it will be that model. I got the Verizon model and am using it with ATT right now.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
The reason it is different for the iPhone now is because the patent for having CDMA and GSM tech in the same phone has expired. I hear that your best bet is to get the Verizon model, because it is said to work with most networks.

Verizon/Sprint model will work with both GSM and CDMA networks. The speculation is that when the unlocked model is released, it will be that model. I got the Verizon model and am using it with ATT right now.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the info you two. Enthusiasm for the iPhone 7 increasing once again.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I guess on older iPhones it was Good for 4g or 3G but not lte on att. This is good to know

Those days are long gone. :)
I make it a point to check the supported LTE bands and other key info like that when they release new models.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2