Switching

Mason Sell

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Decided to take the not so scary plunge (I have jump on demand, I can upgrade 3 times a year) and switched to an iPhone 7.

Just ordered the matte black, 128gb IPhone yesterday and can't wait for it to come in. It'll be interesting to see how I like the device and how I feel about battery life having come from using Android for so many years. Very excited. Should ship anytime between today and the 26th (praying for today).

However if there's one thing I wish Apple would blatantly copy over from Android, it should be the damn App Drawer. Having a customizable desktop and a drawer of less commonly used apps listed in alphabetical order is so much more convenient. It looks much less cluttered and it is much easier to use in my opinion.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

NekoMichi

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
However if there's one thing I wish Apple would blatantly copy over from Android, it should be the damn App Drawer. Having a customizable desktop and a drawer of less commonly used apps listed in alphabetical order is so much more convenient. It looks much less cluttered and it is much easier to use in my opinion.

I miss having an app drawer too, on my current device (iPhone 6) I had to jailbreak and install InstaLauncher which provides a similar functionality. That's one thing I'll miss when the 7 arrives next week.

Mason Sell

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I miss having an app drawer too, on my current device (iPhone 6) I had to jailbreak and install InstaLauncher which provides a similar functionality. That's one thing I'll miss when the 7 arrives next week.

I don't think I'm familiar with InstaLauncher? Hopefully a jailbreak is available sooner than later. The organizational abilities that come from having most of the apps in a drawer in alphabetized order are just far superior. Look at laptops and even real life filing ways. If you think about it, your wallet carries your cash, cards and IDs for readily available access while at home you may have a filing cabinet for much less necessary goods or a deposit box. No one really uses a passport everyday so there's no need to have it readily accessible 😂

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Apple and Google are fundamentally different companies that produce vastly different smartphone operating systems -- and that's a good thing (that whole competition thing...)! You're not going to get an "app drawer" (having never used Android I have no idea what that means) but I hope you like the simple yet powerful organization of iOS and maybe with folder organization and app-switcher familiarity you get used to a new paradigm and stay a while. The 7/7+ iPhones are fantastic and very powerful. All that being said, while my jailbreak days are long over (with iOS maturity I have no need for any of those tweaks anymore) you may be a good candidate to go down that road when it becomes available. Cheers and welcome aboard!

Mason Sell

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the warm welcome! As a tech agnostic, I appreciate it 😂

Oh yeah, I know it'll probably never happen, and I'm sure I'll get used to it while waiting for a jailbreak to drop. I'm very anxious to get my iPhone 7 though! I love Android, but despite what some people say, I really believe Apple killed it with the new iPhone. They definitely could have shrunk the bezels or further increased battery size or switch to an AMOLED display, but there's next year (and again being stuck with a phone for even more than 3 months isn't even a concern with my plan). The waterproofing, better battery life, A10 Fusion, and finally putting OIS in the iPhone 7 made going to an iPhone much more intriguing for me since specs wise, all of the mainstream phones are similar.

I'm actually most excited for iMessage and that standby battery though. It's frustrating losing a lot of battery life when not even using the phone. I've always kind of ragged on iPhones before this generation (and still hold complaints, but no phone is perfect... Those bezels man...) but this year I think I'll really enjoy having one. It remains to be seen whether I will fall victim to the walled garden, but hopefully I won't! I'd prefer to not get tied down to an OS and aside from some purchases on Android, all of my stuff can be accessed through Google's services from anything. Chromecast is life and my Vizio sound system uses it so the more devices that can use it, the happier I am as well as any guests!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! Enjoy your stay and feel free to ask any questions you have while getting used to iOS.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2