iPhone 7 Plus or Galaxy S8+?

MSUSpartan

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
Am I the only one who thinks that s8/s8+ is too narrow and it looks awkward (at least)? Am I sounding like those elders who don't embrace technology? :)) I love the resolution, it's a stunning screen, but not on that aspect ratio...

I'm 65 (probably considered an "elder" by you) and I LOVE technology. I have every Apple product, plus android tablets. My grandkids call me Grandma Gadget. I think you may find that we "elderly" are much more open to and "embrace" technology.

ab06deg1

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone, but that is not what I was trying to say. I think my expression wasn't the most explicit, english is not my first language. I'm not a spring flower myself.

MSUSpartan

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone, but that is not what I was trying to say. I think my expression wasn't the most explicit, english is not my first language. I'm not a spring flower myself.

Thanks for clarifying what you meant. I probably read it wrong too. I'm not easily offended and not really sure why I felt the need to respond. I too apologize for the misunderstanding.

ab06deg1

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
My mom always prefers to grab a knife instead of a kitchen chopper, rarely touches the microwave, etc. that was on my mind when I wrote that :)

MSUSpartan

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
My mom always prefers to grab a knife instead of a kitchen chopper, rarely touches the microwave, etc. that was on my mind when I wrote that :)

Ah yes, I do know some of those people. I don't touch any of those either but that's because I'm not allowed in the kitchen at all (except to clean up). It's a good thing my hubby likes to cook. After 43 years of marriage, I really do know my place. By the way, my hubby is technology "challenged" bit at least gives them a try.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Am I the only one who thinks that s8/s8+ is too narrow and it looks awkward (at least)? Am I sounding like those elders who don't embrace technology? :)) I love the resolution, it's a stunning screen, but not on that aspect ratio...

The S8+ actually feels better in my hand than any phone other than the iPhone SE. And the aspect ratio is no issue whatsoever.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Arguments about iOS, Android and hardware aside, the worst thing about using an S8+ - with Verizon - is how Verizon is allowed to cripple the device in favor of what it wants. Taking away services that were highly touted by Samsung in favor of its own crap. God Bless You Apple for having the clout to not put up with any of that nonsense from any carrier.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Just curious, what did Verizon change/take away?

Go over to Android Central (or your forum of choice) and check out the threads for more details, but in short, Samsung Cloud, Bixby Vision, Maintenance tools, voice mail, caller ID - and more. Every. Time. Not to mention, Verizon also adds this wonderful little "hidden" app called DT Ignite, of which most people are blissfully unaware. (Do a Google search for that piece of Verizon-sponsored malware and be prepared to shake your head.)

anon(10210323)

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Hold off on the booo's here
Booooooo!!!!!!!
just want to get some discussion going :)

I've been honestly very impressed with the Galaxy S8 and S8+. Looks like a darn solid phone, and that display, well, it looks great.

My question(s) for you. Would you EVER consider switching to Android and pick up something like an S8? Or are you locked into the Apple ecosystem, LOVE everything Apple, and pick up an iPhone 7 or the next gen iPhone when it becomes available?

Certainly lots to talk about here. As phones get better and better and better.... you almost can't go wrong!!

Having recently switched from Android, I can't see going back. The problems with the Note 7 probably would steer me away from Sammy anyway lol . . .

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I traded in my iPhone 7 Plus for the Samsung Galaxy S8+. I loved my iPhone, but I missed the customization of Android. The 7+ served as a great replacement for my Note 7. I will miss it. Perhaps if the iPhone 7s Plus (or 8 Plus, whatever they call it) is better than the Note 8, then I'll pick that up and be back on iOS. Or if something happens to my S8+ within 14 days, I'll return it and get the PRODUCT red 7 Plus. :)

TheUnknownUser

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
I actually enjoy Android but if I were to go back to android it wouldn't be a Samsung. They over bloat their phones and I'm not impressed with their software at all. Their hardware is very nice I'll give them that however the S8/S8+ to me the bigger screen is useless as the majoiry of apps and video I tested have black borders anyways due to the very weird aspect ratio.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Hey. Don't put elders into a category. I am very tired of people commenting about elders. I know young people who can't boil water. Seriously. I am very technical and am older. But I have always had an interest in it. I sold wireless. I switched to Apple being fed up with Android. Very happy. I also like the build quality of the 7 plus. Sturdy beautiful runs extremely well.
I have always used Samsung but the S8 doesn't impress me. I don't like it I am not a klutz but I fear those who are will be in a tough spot not protecting that phone

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Typing this from an S8+ that I've only had for a day and I'm already wanting to put my sim back into my 7+. There's just so many little things that iOS does that add up for me to be a better experience. The mute switch is huge, 3D Touch on the keyboard is my most used feature, better quality apps in my opinion, fingerprint authentication in apps still vastly outstrips android, and handoff is the one killer feature Apple haves over Android oh also updates.

My s8+ has the pink hues on the edges which is annoying plus the fish bowl effect of the curved screen is also distracting.

Do not think I'll be keeping it. I'm just so much happier in my Apple bubble.

MSUSpartan

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
Hey. Don't put elders into a category. I am very tired of people commenting about elders. I know young people who can't boil water. Seriously. I am very technical and am older. But I have always had an interest in it. I sold wireless. I switched to Apple being fed up with Android. Very happy. I also like the build quality of the 7 plus. Sturdy beautiful runs extremely well.
I have always used Samsung but the S8 doesn't impress me. I don't like it I am not a klutz but I fear those who are will be in a tough spot not protecting that phone

I agree about the "elders" comment. I replied to the comment earlier and that person apologized, said they stated it wrong. But I agree that too often we "elders" are seen as stupid old people who can't handle new technology. I'm 65 (proud of it) and all of my kids, friends, and grandkids call or text me when they have "techy" questions. They call me "grandma gadget". I also enjoy sports, bike riding, and being around young people.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I have made the dance many times between the two ecosystems and I feel that unless you make them your daily driver you can't really judge them. It is one thing to own both and play with them at night and on the weekend, but take them out on your daily grind and put them to the test.

I have held the 8 and it does seem great, but no way am I spending that kind of money for an android phone. I love playing with Androids and when I do, I go with the midrange and lower end devices. I just ordered a LG Stylo 3 for $149 from Boost to give me my Android fix.

I currently have a LG K10 and Samsung J7 and let me tell you, the Samsung J7 is almost as good as the Galaxy S7 edge. The difference is nowhere near the difference in cost.

I think that Apple is going to have to come up with something to keep that mid-range customer. The SE was a good move and I think they will continue making a mid-priced option. The market in India is a ton of potential customers who can't afford the best and most expensive models

Matt Manahan

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
The S8 is a beautiful phone with some awesome features, but I don't think I'll ever pay that kind of money for an Android phone that gets the main Android update months after release and then doesn't get later updates at all. I like Android a lot and there are some great "mid-range" phones that are much cheaper than Samsung's flagships and almost just as good. For example, I'm coming to Apple from the Honor 8. It's a great phone for less than half the price of the S8.

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
It's intriguing, and looks like a beautiful device; however not a fan of bloatware. Granted my android experience has been limited - back in the days of the google one (Nexus).

I'd like to see what other manufacturers bring to the the table now, OnePlus comes to mind and then I can consider a refresh of my mobile device.

My wife would mind if I switch however; after years of convincing her to get a smart phone (BlackBerry) then two years ago a long battle to switch her over to ios, to now leave her and jump platforms.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77