I'm teetering on the edge....coming to the dark side - Help convince me!

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Hey, All...

OK, I've been on Android since day one, and I tend to hop to new devices or three times a year. I'm currently on a Nexus 6p, and it's the best phone I've ever owned as far as stability, speed, and fluidity of the user interface.

I took a step back and realized that 97% of the time I spend on my phone is trying to tweak it, rearrange it, and make it perform better. I'm getting tired of this wasted time. I pretty much do everything on my phone, so I want it to be efficient, reliable, and powerful. If there's something I simply can't do on my phone. I simply jump to my laptop.

The iPhone 7 Plus is the first time I've really considered an iPhone.

I was offended With the release of the Pixel XL and the death of the Nexus line as the Pixel is priced as a premium flagship, yet I KNOW it will still succumb to the lag and fragmented OS issues that have always plagued Android. I don't want to pay $800+ for anAndroid phone THAT I KNOW won't be able to live up to that price and promise.

Please give me words of encouragement and positive points.....and if it works, I'll be picking an i7p up as soon as the local Apple store gets one in Stock. I'm on Verizon, for what it's worth.

Also, I'll be honest - I always considered myself a power user on Android and there wasn't anything I couldn't do.... Video editing, sound editing, document editing, zipping, raring, uploading, file management, whatever.... I could do it. I liked being able to say that.

Is it possible to be a "power iPhone user?" that is, is the beautiful ecosystem too locked down to the point that you can't be as efficient and usable, or am I looking at this in the wrong way?

One example, if I want a new ringtone on my Nexus, I go to any website from my mobile browser and download a wav or MP3 file, trim it in an app, go to my file Explorer app, then click on the new audio clip and set as my ringer. From what I understand, it's not that easy on iPhone and I have to use a computer and iTunes.... I feel like that dependency takes away my freedom and ability to do what I want, and I kind of embarrassing - especially since I have been bashing Apple for so long about this very simple process. Please convince me other...

Im ready to join the Apple Gang!

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Give it a shot. It can't hurt! You can always return it within the 14 day window. iOS is dependable and stable. I do wish I could customize it and tweak it more but it does keep me from wasting hours upon hours doing it bc I know if I could, I would.

Updates come often and fragmentation isn't an issue. Apps are noticeably better on iOS (this is coming from my hardcore android using husband who uses an iPad for games).

I'll think of more stuff but I have to go to work. More later.

Welcome!

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Give it a shot. It can't hurt! You can always return it within the 14 day window. iOS is dependable and stable. I do wish I could customize it and tweak it more but it does keep me from wasting hours upon hours doing it bc I know if I could, I would.

Updates come often and fragmentation isn't an issue. Apps are noticeably better on iOS (this is coming from my hardcore android using husband who uses an iPad for games).

I'll think of more stuff but I have to go to work. More later.

Welcome!

Thanks, and THANKS!

Rmorton0573

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I was a Android user up until 2014. I always said the iPhone screen is too small for me. Then came the 6 Plus. So I gave it a shot. I have not looked back. I've had the 6s Plus and now the 7 Plus. Like you I spent a lot of time trying to improve my user experience, running custom roms and such. Since I switched to iPhone I don't mess with that stuff anymore. The iPhone is already dependable, and I have less app crashing. Like others I wish iOS was a little more open, but it's something I've learn to live with. Additionally, when a new iOS version is released if the phone can run it you get it the same day as every one else. No waiting months for carriers to approve it.

flybub

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
To answer your question about the ring tone, as far as I know you can't set a downloaded ring tone via your phone. I believe you have to load the sound file into iTunes then use iTunes to set the sound as your ring tone or notification. Not the sole reason, but one of the reasons I went back to Android.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

jerrykur

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I use and develop for both platforms. They both do similar things, just in different ways. I would just make sure that if there is a specific app that drives your smartphone usage it is available and works well on the iPhone.

rsgoldens

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I was also an Android user until January of 2015. Got a 6 Plus and haven't looked back. I upgraded to the 6sP last year. Having used a 7, I'm sticking with my 6sP until next year because it's the 10th anniversary and expecting a big upgrade.

With that said, I still have an Android phone for my work phone, which depending on how things go next year, I may use my 6sP when the anniversary edition comes out. I did the same thing you did, customized the heck out of my android phones, always got the latest flagship and then just decided I was wasting time. Turning off apps and tweaking the location mode just to save battery. Even rooted in the beginning. I'm getting old so now it's all just a pain lol. The iPhone just worked. Yeah, widgets are cool and I do enjoy them, but really you just open the app anyway. I love the look and feel of the new iPhones. I had the first iPhone when it came out, then it quit working so I moved to BB and then to the OG Droid and kept going. I liked the bigger screens that Android offered because I do consider myself a power user, so when the 6P came out I went for it and have no regrets. I switched to Mac in 2011 and had iPads and iPods, so it really made sense overall.

Good luck to you, I hope you like it!

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
To answer your question about the ring tone, as far as I know you can't set a downloaded ring tone via your phone. I believe you have to load the sound file into iTunes then use iTunes to set the sound as your ring tone or notification. Not the sole reason, but one of the reasons I went back to Android.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Incorrect, you go into the contact on the phone, edit the contact and from there you can choose a ringtone for that person, as well as text alerts and more.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Incorrect, you go into the contact on the phone, edit the contact and from there you can choose a ringtone for that person, as well as text alerts and more.

But - is there anyway to download a random wav or mp3 from a website, or an email attachment and then edit it and set it?

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
But - is there anyway to download a random wav or mp3 from a website, or an email attachment and then edit it and set it?

I haven't had a computer for a while, but I do recall being able to edit and assign ringtones through iTunes. Don't think you can do it directly through your phone, though.
I was an android user from the days of the Droid, then Droid 2, then I switched to an iPhone and have been with it mostly ever since. I occasionally switch back to Android but I never stick with it as I am used to iOS and I like how it works and I don't need the endless customization that android offers. It all comes down to personal opinion, but for what I want out of my smartphone, the iPhone is the best phone on the market.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

Ringtones have an extension of .M4R and a MP3 or MP4 will need to be converted to that format. Also will need to be around 30-seconds in length. I know you can go to around 40-seconds, but after that iTunes will not sync them. There are many tutorials online on converting other formats to a ringtone format.

There is no way to just take a MP3 or WAV off of an email on your phone and make it the ringtone. (unless something new has happened, I have not heard about re: Apple)

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Well, I did it.... I went to Best Buy, and they had ONE silver 256GB iPhone 7 Plus in stock. It's now mine!

I look forward to this adventure!

I love this community already!

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Well, I did it.... I went to Best Buy, and they had ONE silver 256GB iPhone 7 Plus in stock. It's now mine!

Congrats! Glad you are having fun over here. Don't hesitate to post any questions you may have.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

Congrats! Got my matte black in the mail yesterday and had fun setting it up from my 6S Plus. Lots easier than it was back in the day!

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks! I also grabbed this!

https://www.shopcade.com/product/tumi-19-degree-case-for-apple-iphone-7-plus-metallic-gunmetal/57d6d95aa8f6c46670351f92

Now, I'm just hoping that there is a nice imore iPhone app.