Will it hurt the iPhone 7 Plus to charge it with the larger iPad charger?

felloffthetruck

iPhone 7 Plus Champion
Champion
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Can you safely charge the new iPhone 7 Plus with the larger iPad charger?

Will it charge any faster?

I just don't want to damage my new phone.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
ll it hurt the iPhone 7 Plus to charge it with the larger iPad charger?

Yes, and yes.

Edit: Clarifying that my answers are to your message questions. The answer to your topic title is No.

MCube74

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
If you go to Apple's site, they say that the iPad charger is compatible with iPhone 7 and iPhone 7s. I used the same for my iPhone 6s plus last year.

felloffthetruck

iPhone 7 Plus Champion
Champion
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Didn't believe me, huh? I see how it is.

Yes, My Dear. I believe everything but figured I would a second opinion. I don't want to pull a Note 7 on my new iTurd by feeding it too much juice.

I just looked and the iPad charger I have puts out 12Watt

Last edited:

Tersanyus

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Same here. Have always used the 12w iPad charger. I'm now using the 29w Apple charger on the 7 Plus. I have an iPad Pro 12.9 so using the 29w charger charges it fast.

felloffthetruck

iPhone 7 Plus Champion
Champion
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
What about in the long run, is it better for the battery to use the 5W charger? I don't want to decrease the lifespan of my battery.

CrackOne

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I read many articles and spoke with Apple by telephone and at the Apple Store, before starting to use an iPad charger with my iPhone. The consensus was unanimous. It was OK to do so. Within the past few weeks, I have read two articles which stated that it was OK, but that it would obviously reduce the lifespan of the battery. Because the battery is not easily swappable, I guess I am back to square one on this issue.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I use my iPad Prop charger on my 7+ with no issues. I also notice that it does charge a bit faster. It's possible that is all in my head though.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I can say just from my own anecdotal standpoint that the charge time seems lightly faster on a 10W adapter than it does on a 5W adapter. I have noticed this since the 6 Plus in 2014.

felloffthetruck

iPhone 7 Plus Champion
Champion
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I read many articles and spoke with Apple by telephone and at the Apple Store, before starting to use an iPad charger with my iPhone. The consensus was unanimous. It was OK to do so. Within the past few weeks, I have read two articles which stated that it was OK, but that it would obviously reduce the lifespan of the battery. Because the battery is not easily swappable, I guess I am back to square one on this issue.

Think I'll stick with the little cube for now.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

The general opinion would state that those articles are wrong. It should not reduce the battery life span at all. False and unproven information. They would need to show some valid evidence of that happening. But it's your phone, do as you wish.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

The general opinion would state that those articles are wrong. It should not reduce the battery life span at all. False and unproven information. They would need to show some valid evidence of that happening. But it's your phone, do as you wish.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77