Extra "Click" when I lock my phone

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So my iPhone 7 Plus was delivered yesterday and I've been loving every minute of it! I did notice just now that whenever I lock the phone, the upper speaker (near the top of the phone) also makes a click/lock sound - it's a second or so after the normal iPhone lock click sound. I usually have my phone on silent and whenever I lock it, it doesn't make that sound (which makes me believe this is normal). Just wanted to see if everyone else has this same double click sound.

Thanks!

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site

I think I know what you're taking about. If so, I have it but I figured that was just one of the new sounds in iOS 10. A few of the sounds changed with the update. Mine however is more like an echo. There's no second in between the clicks.

malt1977

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Possibly a sill question, but have you tried a soft reboot of the handset? Worst case, a full restore?

By trying out the above you'll not have to wait to go to an Apple Store. As mentioned, it could just be a little software glitch that will be fixed in due course. Personally, I find the lock sound so annoying that I've turned it off on all my iPhone's I've ever had.

Anyway, let us know how you get on.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Possibly a sill question, but have you tried a soft reboot of the handset? Worst case, a full restore?

By trying out the above you'll not have to wait to go to an Apple Store. As mentioned, it could just be a little software glitch that will be fixed in due course. Personally, I find the lock sound so annoying that I've turned it off on all my iPhone's I've ever had.

Anyway, let us know how you get on.

Yeah I've disabled it as well, mainly because it wakes my wife up when I come to bed at night (I stay up later than she does most nights).

Erasing All Content and Settings is a great idea. Make sure you set it up as a new device and test out the lock sound BEFORE messing with settings or installing any third party apps. If it's fixed then you can slowly add apps back in or take the plunge and recover from an iCloud or iTunes backup.

[NOTE]Make sure you create a backup BEFORE doing anything, including going to an Apple Store.[/NOTE]

Good luck!

Last edited:

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback everyone. So I think I didn't accurately describe what's happening in my first post. After I lock the phone and hear the normal sound, it's more like a pop. I did a soft reset and it's still there. I think it might be the speaker in the ear piece now. Thankfully, 1) there's an Apple Store not too far from my house (about 10 miles) and 2) I'll be driving by it today. I'm going to swing by and see what they say. I'll follow up later tonight! Thanks for all of the feedback!

Alain_A

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I have a sound from the top speaker as well.....probably normal since it is stereo speakers.
same sound at the bottom speaker

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Just an update for anyone that's interested. The sound is not normal. The Genius Bar took a look and compared to other phones. They don't make the popping sound. Thinks it's something hardware related. Ordered me a new phone - not sure when it's going to arrive. For the time being, I shut off the lock sound (because the popping was driving me crazy).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2