Dual Camera NOT working

mfldmike

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
So I read somewhere on here that the dual camera system on the 7 Plus isn't working as advertised, so I decided to try it out myself.

Try covering up one of the lenses and switching 1x-2x

This camera is not switching...

If I leave my finger covered on the normal lens and switch to 2x (should switch cameras) and I should be able to see something...I don't, I don't see anything even though the 2nd camera is uncovered.

What gives???

Can anyone else confirm?

mfldmike

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
#gatephone seriously though, it seems to be intermittent; at least for me anyway...sometimes it will work, other times nothing and I've tried covering up either or and testing it.

MelCali82

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
What if it's detecting one of the lenses has a big fat ugly finger obstructing its view and decides something isn't right?

mfldmike

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Well a "big fat ugly finger," "a big fat ugly piece of paper," "a big fat ugly unicorn" for all I give...all I know, and observed, is that it's not working.

mfldmike

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
In macrumors, someone suggested that the dual-camera does not activate in "poorly-lit" or "indoor" lighting, after trying out both that seems to be the case. I can cover a lens outside and it does work but the image is blown out...so it does stand to reason that it doesn't work in these situations.

With that being said, a lot of people are going to notice "noise" issues in their photos IF they use 2x in poorly-lit areas; the phone isn't using the dual-camera but, its using software zoom to capture the photo

AndrewMelder

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Not anything to do with this is it? Why the iPhone 7 Plus telephoto won't shoot in low-light situations | iMore

My theory would be by covering the wide angle (1x) lens, the camera has decided that it's way too dark to even bother to try with the less-light sensitive tele lens (2x); therefore it's just showing the covered up wide angle.

There are easier ways to tell if the tele lens is actually working, as shown in the article:
- take a photo in sunlight or bright lighting conditions with the 2x setting, use an app called Metapho to check the metadata of the photo. If the lens is 6.6mm f/2.8, then it's using the tele lens.
- Use a third party app that has been updated to manually select which lens you wish to shoot with, such as ProCamera

mfldmike

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Not anything to do with this is it? Why the iPhone 7 Plus telephoto won't shoot in low-light situations | iMore

My theory would be by covering the wide angle (1x) lens, the camera has decided that it's way too dark to even bother to try with the less-light sensitive tele lens (2x); therefore it's just showing the covered up wide angle.

There are easier ways to tell if the tele lens is actually working, as shown in the article:
- take a photo in sunlight or bright lighting conditions with the 2x setting, use an app called Metapho to check the metadata of the photo. If the lens is 6.6mm f/2.8, then it's using the tele lens.
- Use a third party app that has been updated to manually select which lens you wish to shoot with, such as ProCamera

I think that's exactly it...

buellertech

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
So I read somewhere on here that the dual camera system on the 7 Plus isn't working as advertised, so I decided to try it out myself.

Try covering up one of the lenses and switching 1x-2x

This camera is not switching...

If I leave my finger covered on the normal lens and switch to 2x (should switch cameras) and I should be able to see something...I don't, I don't see anything even though the 2nd camera is uncovered.

What gives???

Can anyone else confirm?

I thought that the 2x zoom was only possible by the "telephoto" lens so I'm guessing if you cover the lense thats telephoto that 2x won't show anything.

mfldmike

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I thought that the 2x zoom was only possible by the "telephoto" lens so I'm guessing if you cover the lense thats telephoto that 2x won't show anything.

The 2x is possible with digital zoom from the f1.8 camera if the phone doesn't recognize there is enough light to use the optical 2x zoom of the f2.8 camera

Last edited:

lisainsf

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
It does work and the images show 6.6MM. Here are 3 images of my dog. Two at 6.6mm and one at 4MM. Two were taken with Camera+ and one with the stock camera app. Camera+ is superior in sharpness and detail, the stock app renders detail with watercolor effects alot, I also think using the zoom adds more of a chance for image degradation, but I have to test that further. These photos are edited as I edit all my photos so I was testing for that aspect of them. Image quality may be better if you click and view on flickr. Some softness could be to movement by Buster as well, but these look pretty good.

stock camera 6.6mm

Buster 1 stock cam 6.6mm by Lisa, on Flickr

Camera + 4mm
Buster 2 Camera+ 4mm by Lisa, on Flickr

Camera+ 6.6mm
Buster 3 camera + 6.6mm by Lisa, on Flickr

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
How do you change the lens being used in camera+

When you go into the standard camera app you will see a small circle at the bottom saying 1X or 2X and you switch between 1X standard 28mm or 2X zoom 56mm. After that you can zoom more, but it will be using digital zoom

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I thought the two cameras were supposed to work together? I wouldn't expect to have them work independently from each other.
But then, my "knowledge" of that type of thing being what it is, I have no clue.
I guess I'll find out when (if) I finally receive my freaking phone, already.

clouds0222

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
It does work and the images show 6.6MM. Here are 3 images of my dog. Two at 6.6mm and one at 4MM. Two were taken with Camera+ and one with the stock camera app. Camera+ is superior in sharpness and detail, the stock app renders detail with watercolor effects alot, I also think using the zoom adds more of a chance for image degradation, but I have to test that further. These photos are edited as I edit all my photos so I was testing for that aspect of them. Image quality may be better if you click and view on flickr. Some softness could be to movement by Buster as well, but these look pretty good.

stock camera 6.6mm

[url]https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8324/29683448012_68cafda4e2_o.jpg[/url]Buster 1 stock cam 6.6mm by Lisa, on Flickr

Camera + 4mm
[url]https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8542/29168740674_31ee4b987d_o.jpg[/url]Buster 2 Camera+ 4mm by Lisa, on Flickr

Camera+ 6.6mm
[url]https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8664/29760497016_92d4205334_o.jpg[/url]Buster 3 camera + 6.6mm by Lisa, on Flickr

Kind of off topic, but precious dog!

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

stock camera 6.6mm

[url]https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8324/29683448012_68cafda4e2_o.jpg[/url]Buster 1 stock cam 6.6mm by Lisa, on Flickr

Camera + 4mm
[url]https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8542/29168740674_31ee4b987d_o.jpg[/url]Buster 2 Camera+ 4mm by Lisa, on Flickr

Camera+ 6.6mm
[url]https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8664/29760497016_92d4205334_o.jpg[/url]Buster 3 camera + 6.6mm by Lisa, on Flickr

You're outdoors though, it works with outdoor lighting.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2