How do I download all photos from iCloud Photo Sharing?

Sinevibes

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
How to download all photos from iCloud Photo Sharing?

Hi all!

I have uploaded several photo albums from my Mac (OS X 10.11.3) via iCloud Photo Sharing. I see them all on my iPad Air (32 GB Wi-Fi) and iPhone 6s (64 GB), however, while the iPad has downloaded all photos in full resolution, the iPhone mostly downloaded only previews and it has to download each image as I am viewing them. Both are on iOS 9.2.1. I do not see any settings for "download originals" for iCloud Photo Sharing as we have for iCloud Photo Library.

Question is, is it possible to somehow set the iPhone to always download all photos entirely just like the iPad does?

Thanks.

andrwstw

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
Re: How to download all photos from iCloud Photo Sharing?

You can go to the Settings app, then tap on iCloud, then tap on Photos, and then select "Download and Keep Originals"

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

You can go to the Settings app, then tap on iCloud, then tap on Photos, and then select "Download and Keep Originals"

I have it set as that, it's still not downloading and keeping the originals.

Some are not downloaded at all, while others are not at full resolution.

Sinevibes

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site

Yes, I have "download and keep originals" turned on and there is over 30 GB free space on my iPhone. It has all photos from iCloud Photo Library in full resolution, but those in iCloud Photo Sharing are mostly only previews. Not sure how it choses which one it would download, this is not like the newest 10-20 photos but just random ones from here and there in each album.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Yes, I have "download and keep originals" turned on and there is over 30 GB free space on my iPhone. It has all photos from iCloud Photo Library in full resolution, but those in iCloud Photo Sharing are mostly only previews. Not sure how it choses which one it would download, this is not like the newest 10-20 photos but just random ones from here and there in each album.

In the photos app, tap "shared" at the bottom. Then tap on a photo> Tap the share arrow at the bottom left.
9ec7056a84cd276bca1cb4faa8720b5d.jpg

Then choose "save image".
a0aa8585c276018cc17dc43789aaddcf.jpg

If you don't see the options, it's because the photos were uploaded by someone else who is sharing with you. You can't save or delete those. You can only save or delete the photos you upload to iCloud Photo Sharing yourself.

Sinevibes

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site

Yes, I can do "save image" on any if those - because I shared them myself. I have the same iCloud account set up on all devices.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Yes, I can do "save image" on any if those - because I shared them myself. I have the same iCloud account set up on all devices.

Are the photos that download from the same device? What about the ones that won't download -- are they from the same device you're trying to view them on? So iCloud photos from the Mac, even on the same iCloud account, may not download to your iPhone, if some of what I read is correct. Ones taken with the iPhone should download but I don't have any first hand experience with this (I use the optimize option).

Also, and forgive me for asking this but you're on wifi, right? It will take some time to download everything and it will only do it over wifi, not a cellular/LTE network.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site

I had this problem before. I went to see a genius and he explained to me the iOS device only downloads the original pictures when your phone is in standby. I can't remember if he said it needed to be plugged in as well. Also during the process of downloading my 30-40 gb of photos and videos, I would check the progress and the amount of pictures and videos did not seem to add up and I was questioning if I was doing it right. I was and after the process was over every picture and every videos was/is there. Just plug it in and leave it in standby and they will download from iCloud.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I had this problem before. I went to see a genius and he explained to me the iOS device only downloads the original pictures when your phone is in standby. I can't remember if he said it needed to be plugged in as well. Also during the process of downloading my 30-40 gb of photos and videos, I would check the progress and the amount of pictures and videos did not seem to add up and I was questioning if I was doing it right. I was and after the process was over every picture and every videos was/is there. Just plug it in and leave it in standby and they will download from iCloud.

This was from iCloud Photo Sharing? Or iCloud Photo Library?

Sinevibes

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site

To clarify once again:
1. From my Mac, I have uploaded several albums via iCloud Photo Sharing
2. On my iPad and iPhone, only around 10-20 of photos were downloaded
3. A week has gone by since the upload, the devices have been on standby, charging, on wi-fi, for dozens of hours

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I don't use a puter, so I have no idea about it. Hopefully someone will come along who knows more than I. Sometimes it takes a while.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site

Sorry for the delayed response. It was for iCloud library.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2