Different processors and battery life - I am now a believer

austriak

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I know the whole different processors and battery life thing was discussed at length a couple months ago and I was very skeptical and didn't buy into it then. However, I am on my second iphone 6s (gave first one to my wife) and I noticed the battery life has been a lot better. I was curious so I checked the processor and it is the TSMC chip. My first one has the Samsung chip.

Maybe it isn't the chip but it is the exact same model phone running the exact same backup in the exact same area with the same usage and my battery life is noticeably better. I didn't think the Samsung processor battery life was bad but the TSMC processor battery life has been excellent. I was not a believer in there being a difference but I can't explain it any other way.

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I know the whole different processors and battery life thing was discussed at length a couple months ago and I was very skeptical and didn't buy into it then. However, I am on my second iphone 6s (gave first one to my wife) and I noticed the battery life has been a lot better. I was curious so I checked the processor and it is the TSMC chip. My first one has the Samsung chip.

Maybe it isn't the chip but it is the exact same model phone running the exact same backup in the exact same area with the same usage and my battery life is noticeably better. I didn't think the Samsung processor battery life was bad but the TSMC processor battery life has been excellent. I was not a believer in there being a difference but I can't explain it any other way.

Very true, I have the TSMC chip and my phone lasts me 2 to 3 days under moderate usage while my wife's Samsusng chip on her iPhone 6s can barely last 1 day. A lot of people saying there is no difference probably because they are jealous that they don't have the TSMC chip but it's a night and day difference.

Another friend of mine recently for an iPhone 6S and is complaining that the phone gets very hot whereas mine never even felt warm under heavy usage.

Frenzytom

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I also think it is more than what Apple has made it out to be as well. For the average user, I think people can overlook it. Here is how I know...mind you, I have the same signal area and app usage on all the phones. I only was able to compare the first iPhone after I used the other two.

The first iPhone 6s I got had the TSMC chip. The phone was cooler and had better battery life (about roughly 15-20%).

The second iPhone 6s (warranty replacement) I got had the Samsung chip. The phone was hotter (almost warm all the time when using) and had worse battery life.

The third iPhone 6s (current one) I got has the TSMC chip. The phone was cooler (rarely got warm) and had same good battery life as the first one. Not a fluke that the 2 TSMC chip phones had the same good qualities and the Samsung one fared worse. Not a scientific analysis but interesting to see the results.

Jocelyuki

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
This is really interesting. I'm just gonna buy a 6s, can I know the chip when I buy it? That means can I choose a TSMC one when buying 6s?

frenzyt

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
This is really interesting. I'm just gonna buy a 6s, can I know the chip when I buy it? That means can I choose a TSMC one when buying 6s?

You can't really know until you run a processor app (don't remember which one) in which case, not alot of stores will allow you to open a few phones out the box and allow you to install the app and choose. It really is the luck of the draw.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I have the Samsung chip. I don?t have a problem with battery life, but I am sure the TSMC chip phones last longer and what not. I just don?t want to go through the trouble of trying to hunt one down. I am stuck with the Samsung chip until I upgrade or get lucky with a warranty replacement. Oh Well.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
No issue with the Samsung chip here. Y'all are chasing ghosts. SMH!
It's about your settings and what you do on your phone. It has absolutely nothing to do with the chip.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, sorry about the weird formatting that happened. Was typing quickly at work. The screenshot on the App Store for that app shows the chip being a TSMC chip, I was wondering if it'll say Samsung for the chip if the phone has a Samsung chip. The app says I have the TSMC chip in my phone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, sorry about the weird formatting that happened. Was typing quickly at work. The screenshot on the App Store for that app shows the chip being a TSMC chip, I was wondering if it'll say Samsung for the chip if the phone has a Samsung chip. The app says I have the TSMC chip in my phone.
What app do you refer?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

This? It's just a pic the developer put on there. Has nothing to do with your phone..
5b4a2b51455f9f68e7260f98df78e924.jpg

MrRJ

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung chip. With moderate usage it can last more than two days.

I was apprehensive when I got my 6s but I wouldn't read into it too much at all. Battery life is dependant on so many different factors and I'm certain that whilst there's some out there that are getting more battery life than me, there's others with TSMC chips that are getting less..

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a Samsung chip. With moderate usage it can last more than two days.

I was apprehensive when I got my 6s but I wouldn't read into it too much at all. Battery life is dependant on so many different factors and I'm certain that whilst there's some out there that are getting more battery life than me, there's others with TSMC chips that are getting less..

I've owned and used both. No noticeable difference. It's also possible that, even if there was a slight difference with the Samsung chips, they've fixed the issue since its original release.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Very true, I have the TSMC chip and my phone lasts me 2 to 3 days under moderate usage while my wife's Samsusng chip on her iPhone 6s can barely last 1 day. A lot of people saying there is no difference probably because they are jealous that they don't have the TSMC chip but it's a night and day difference.

Another friend of mine recently for an iPhone 6S and is complaining that the phone gets very hot whereas mine never even felt warm under heavy usage.

So you and your wife have identical usage patterns? I find it hard to believe that the difference between the two chips allows you to get almost two days while the other chip can't get past one...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77