When my iPhone 6s arrives should I restore from backup or setup as new?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
What good is an idevice without a jailbreak? I would never use any device from any manufacturer that I couldn't gain access to the root file system.

Besides, there's plenty of crap that iOS can leave behind, but if you don't jailbreak, then you wouldn't know that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk! Because I damn well can!

You are entitled to you opinion. I just don't happen to subscribe to it.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
With new devices I always setup as new, then I transfer my music and apps using iTunes to my new device then sign in to iCloud to sync my contacts and Safari bookmarks to my new device. But that's just my personal preference with setting up new devices.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

clouds0222

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
So let me ask this.....I've always restored from a back up when I've purchased a new device. If I set up my 6s as new, how does my pictures and contacts etc....download to the new device? Thanks!

king_o_hill

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
If you back them up in iCloud, as soon as you login with your Apple ID, it will start to download all your cloud data. Most cases for me it's already there by the time I get in to check.

clouds0222

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
So the only thing I will have to do differently is go into the app store and download my apps and organize the phone the way I want it? I may try that this time around. Thanks!

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I always setup my yearly new iPhone as new... until this year. Now that the Apple Watch backup/restore data is within the iPhone backup, I need to maintain that data to keep my Watch settings, otherwise I will lose all activity data. Hopefully Apple will separate the Watch and iPhone backup data at some point so I can go back to starting clean once a year with my new iPhone...

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Can someone advise if it's possible to set up as new, but still keep app data for certain apps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So the only thing I will have to do differently is go into the app store and download my apps and organize the phone the way I want it? I may try that this time around. Thanks!

Mostly. Be sure if you set up as new, you have your photos somewhere safe. Like Box or Dropbox. Also your passwords. If you use a password keeper like 1Password, be sure it's synced to your computer or Dropbox..

clouds0222

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Mostly. Be sure if you set up as new, you have your photos somewhere safe. Like Box or Dropbox. Also your passwords. If you use a password keeper like 1Password, be sure it's synced to your computer or Dropbox..

So could you possibly not get all of your photos? I do use Dropbox....

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I haven't set a new iPhone up as a new device since my iPhone 4S in 2010.
I'm just the opposite. I'll do clean instals in between OS versions, trying various betas, or whatever else ...
I do this with all devices, computers, electronics ... ect ... ect. This procedure was baked in to my brain from the many years of using Windows, with that being the first and usually only true cure for the various computer woes.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
What good is an idevice without a jailbreak? I would never use any device from any manufacturer that I couldn't gain access to the root file system.

Besides, there's plenty of crap that iOS can leave behind, but if you don't jailbreak, then you wouldn't know that either.

I feel that way about Android. However my main purpose in jailbreaking an iPhone was to have a third party keyboard with swipe/trace capabilities.

Now that I've got that on iOS, I don't feel compelled anymore. Plus there are rumors that certain apps will be able to be removed. I hope that rumor is true, it'll make iOS even better!

I always root and ROM my androids because of the ease in which I can do so. Plus for me, Android is an open source project I can learn with. I'm constantly breaking stuff on them but I enjoy learning as I go.

However for my iPhone, I just simply want it to work. I've played my hand in jailbreaking and it feels like I'm making the device more unstable. Unlike with Android where certain ROMs can actually improve a device, I feel that iOS is created for optimal performance when it's not modified.

That's why iOS maintains its updates across the board but android doesn't. That's why Androidians make ROMs!

randallking

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I've had the iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 5s. I've only set the first one up as a new device. The rest I restored from iTunes backup. It's always worked perfectly, so I've never seen a need to do otherwise. Will do the same with iPhone 6s Plus.