When my iPhone 6s arrives should I restore from backup or setup as new?

iHeartApple2

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I get the latest iPhone every year and every year I usually just set up my device from an iCloud backup. My current iPhone 6 seems to be working just fine. Would setting up my iPhone 6s as a new device benefit me at all or should I continue restoring from backups like I have in the past? I have asked this question before and only received opinions on what I should do. Is there any hard core facts out there that state one is better than the other?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't set up as new either. I thinking done it once since iCloud backups started to clear a pesky issue I had on a beta and I wanted to get back to a released version.
But others will swear it helps. Who knows if it does any good or not?

I just got the iPad Mini 4 and before I restored it, I did an encrypted iTunes backup. Made restoring and setup a breeze. Gonna take that route with my iPhone 6S Plus.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk v3.2.1.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
New is great, but a hassle to set up again. I'll set up with an iCloud back up. If it's corrupted, I'll restore as new.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I always just set up as new. It's a hassle but it's a habit from my old Android days. It kept me from getting corrupt data from a back up onto my new device.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk. 🖖

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's not a secret that I'm a fan of setting is as new, but as warcraftWidow stated, there's no "hard facts" to prove whether or not it's beneficial. Having said that, I'll continue to set up my devices as new because that is what I prefer.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
It's not a secret that I'm a fan of setting is as new, but as warcraftWidow stated, there's no "hard facts" to prove whether or not it's beneficial. Having said that, I'll continue to set up my devices as new because that is what I prefer.

Are you getting the new 6s plus? Or gonna wait it out for the 7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I always set up my new iPhones with an iCloud backup. However, I just recently had an issue where I did set up my device as new. It's a little time consuming but I wanted to make sure I had a clean install and started fresh.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I'll do,a clean install this time because I'm moving to a device with new options "3D Touch". Not that it matters but I'm makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'll do,a clean install this time because I'm moving to a device with new options "3D Touch". Not that it matters but I'm makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find it fun to setup as new. I pick which apps to install first to they'll be in the order I want... Settings I can tinker with... Etc. It's a hassle but it's enjoyable.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk. 🖖

Terb

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
As stated, no hard facts. Will continue as always to set up as new

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

king_o_hill

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
I always recommend a setup as new when going from one major iOS to another. But I also always setup as new myself as I've seen some JB crap get carried over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk! Because I damn well can!

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I always setup as new. It's become a tradition and that's what I'll be doing Friday evening. It gives me a chance to go through and get rid of apps that I don't use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

king_o_hill

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
If you don't jailbreak, there's no "JB crap" to get carried over.

What good is an idevice without a jailbreak? I would never use any device from any manufacturer that I couldn't gain access to the root file system.

Besides, there's plenty of crap that iOS can leave behind, but if you don't jailbreak, then you wouldn't know that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk! Because I damn well can!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77