With new devices I always setup as new, then I transfer my music and apps using iTunes to my new device then sign in to iCloud to sync my contacts and Safari bookmarks to my new device. But that's just my personal preference with setting up new devices.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    09-21-2015 09:33 AM
    So let me ask this.....I've always restored from a back up when I've purchased a new device. If I set up my 6s as new, how does my pictures and contacts etc....download to the new device? Thanks!
    09-21-2015 09:52 AM
    If you back them up in iCloud, as soon as you login with your Apple ID, it will start to download all your cloud data. Most cases for me it's already there by the time I get in to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk! Because I damn well can!
    09-21-2015 11:04 AM
    So the only thing I will have to do differently is go into the app store and download my apps and organize the phone the way I want it? I may try that this time around. Thanks!
    09-21-2015 11:11 AM
    I always setup my yearly new iPhone as new... until this year. Now that the Apple Watch backup/restore data is within the iPhone backup, I need to maintain that data to keep my Watch settings, otherwise I will lose all activity data. Hopefully Apple will separate the Watch and iPhone backup data at some point so I can go back to starting clean once a year with my new iPhone...
    09-21-2015 11:49 AM
    Can someone advise if it's possible to set up as new, but still keep app data for certain apps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-21-2015 12:22 PM
    So the only thing I will have to do differently is go into the app store and download my apps and organize the phone the way I want it? I may try that this time around. Thanks!
    Mostly. Be sure if you set up as new, you have your photos somewhere safe. Like Box or Dropbox. Also your passwords. If you use a password keeper like 1Password, be sure it's synced to your computer or Dropbox..
    09-21-2015 12:23 PM
    Mostly. Be sure if you set up as new, you have your photos somewhere safe. Like Box or Dropbox. Also your passwords. If you use a password keeper like 1Password, be sure it's synced to your computer or Dropbox..
    So could you possibly not get all of your photos? I do use Dropbox....
    09-21-2015 12:35 PM
    I always set up as new. Just in case there were any issues stored in a backup.
    09-21-2015 01:04 PM
    So could you possibly not get all of your photos? I do use Dropbox....
    Not if you set up as a new phone. If you set up with your iCloud back up you'll get your photos. That's why with a set up as new your photos should be safe on Dropbox or other place.
    09-21-2015 01:29 PM
    I haven't set a new iPhone up as a new device since my iPhone 4S in 2010.
    I'm just the opposite. I'll do clean instals in between OS versions, trying various betas, or whatever else ...
    I do this with all devices, computers, electronics ... ect ... ect. This procedure was baked in to my brain from the many years of using Windows, with that being the first and usually only true cure for the various computer woes.
    09-21-2015 02:41 PM
    What good is an idevice without a jailbreak? I would never use any device from any manufacturer that I couldn't gain access to the root file system.

Besides, there's plenty of crap that iOS can leave behind, but if you don't jailbreak, then you wouldn't know that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk! Because I damn well can!
    I feel that way about Android. However my main purpose in jailbreaking an iPhone was to have a third party keyboard with swipe/trace capabilities.

Now that I've got that on iOS, I don't feel compelled anymore. Plus there are rumors that certain apps will be able to be removed. I hope that rumor is true, it'll make iOS even better!

I always root and ROM my androids because of the ease in which I can do so. Plus for me, Android is an open source project I can learn with. I'm constantly breaking stuff on them but I enjoy learning as I go.

However for my iPhone, I just simply want it to work. I've played my hand in jailbreaking and it feels like I'm making the device more unstable. Unlike with Android where certain ROMs can actually improve a device, I feel that iOS is created for optimal performance when it's not modified.

That's why iOS maintains its updates across the board but android doesn't. That's why Androidians make ROMs!
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
    09-21-2015 03:01 PM
    Can someone advise if it's possible to set up as new, but still keep app data for certain apps?
    Depends on the app and if it syncs with a cloud service. What "certain apps" are you asking about?
    09-21-2015 04:01 PM
    i myself setup new i don't want to have any issues
    09-21-2015 06:27 PM
    I've had the iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 5s. I've only set the first one up as a new device. The rest I restored from iTunes backup. It's always worked perfectly, so I've never seen a need to do otherwise. Will do the same with iPhone 6s Plus.
    09-21-2015 10:28 PM

That depends on the app. Like if you have Game Center on all your games, when you install them, you will pick up where you left off.
    If it's not in game center and you didn't make a user name and password, it will likely start over.

Same goes for non games as well. Apps like 1 password, require an account to use. so by logging into the app, it should remember all your passwords.

Basically anything that didn't require you making a user account name and password, will all start over like a new app.
    You have a little time before you get your new phone. look at your apps and check them out in itunes. See if they mention that they are backing up app data. (in description)

On side note. I always set up as a brand new clean phone. I off load all pictures to Photos (mac) or My Pictures (windows), contacts are all saved to my Gmail acct, so soon as I log that acct in, all contacts restore.
    I also use the New Google photos since its 100% unlimited storage (up to 16MP and 1080p video) that way, I don't have to have apple back my picts up at all ( saves room to use the 5GB for basics, contacts, calendar etc)
    Paul Ellis1 likes this.
    09-22-2015 01:24 AM
    I always setup as new. It's become a tradition and that's what I'll be doing Friday evening. It gives me a chance to go through and get rid of apps that I don't use.

I do the exact same thing every year. Helps keep out the cluttered apps I don't use / want anymore.

Sent from my  iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    09-22-2015 07:38 AM
    I always start fresh. That way I only ever download the apps I'm really using. Anything really important to me is in iCloud these days.
    09-22-2015 02:39 PM
    My preference for any new device (PC or phone) is to start with a clean setup so I have a reference point and see it working correctly. I can always restore a backup later when I have cleared up the inevitable surprises.
    09-22-2015 03:38 PM
    Sometimes when people are having battery issues, a factory reset and a "set up as new" helps. Maybe Apple has a list of configuration files that get kept as a safety net despite the apps no longer existing. Kind of like junk DNA kept along with the organism along its evolutionary path. We don't know for sure though but it seems likely given that OS X, Windows and Android experience build-up.
    09-22-2015 05:07 PM
    That depends on the app. Like if you have Game Center on all your games, when you install them, you will pick up where you left off.
    If it's not in game center and you didn't make a user name and password, it will likely start over.

Same goes for non games as well. Apps like 1 password, require an account to use. so by logging into the app, it should remember all your passwords.

Basically anything that didn't require you making a user account name and password, will all start over like a new app.
    You have a little time before you get your new phone. look at your apps and check them out in itunes. See if they mention that they are backing up app data. (in description)

On side note. I always set up as a brand new clean phone. I off load all pictures to Photos (mac) or My Pictures (windows), contacts are all saved to my Gmail acct, so soon as I log that acct in, all contacts restore.
    I also use the New Google photos since its 100% unlimited storage (up to 16MP and 1080p video) that way, I don't have to have apple back my picts up at all ( saves room to use the 5GB for basics, contacts, calendar etc)
    Game Center does not save your game progress. That's up to the app developers. Game Center saves your statistics and stuff. Any game progress that's saved in iCloud is because the developer made it so.
    09-22-2015 06:49 PM
    Sorry noob question. If my iPhone 6 is jailbroken and I am still on iOS 8. Can I still restore from backup on iPhone 6s or I have to start as new. And if I start as new. I will still have my picture in my gallery right. The only thing is that I have re download all my apps. Thank you
    09-22-2015 11:01 PM
    Sorry noob question. If my iPhone 6 is jailbroken and I am still on iOS 8. Can I still restore from backup on iPhone 6s or I have to start as new. And if I start as new. I will still have my picture in my gallery right. The only thing is that I have re download all my apps. Thank you
    Also, if you set up as new and use a password keeper like 1Password, you need to be sure it's synced to your computer or Dropbox. Otherwise you will lose your passwords.
    09-23-2015 12:39 AM
    I always set up as new just to get rid of any and all old files and junk I had accumulated during the past year. I'm guessing that could be allot of junk. Not a whiz with IOS but doing that I've never had any problems. My new 6S plus with 128gb of int-storage is on its way, received my tracking #'s yesterday. Waiting and watching for that UPS TRUCK, there it is, nope, false alarm.
    09-23-2015 07:34 AM
    I'm gonna set up has new. Love the feeling of a fresh install with no baggage lol

09-23-2015 07:48 AM
61 123