First time poster back to iOS from note 7

Chuck_loads

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
So just got back to my 6s + from a note 7 an I'm happy again. I enjoy both platforms but have been with Android since my first smartphone in 08 an liked it. In Feb I traded a note 5 for a 6s plus space gray thought never tried iOS what the heck. Had to watch videos to relearn how use a device had so much fun doing it. Fast forward note 7 comes out ip ratings an all I was in AWE. Been using LifeProof case I love the water here in Texas but sucks the joy of using these beautiful devices. So traded mine in got it was fun for a week of so but dang did I finally realize the whole lag thing my iPhone wasn't like this I thought an started getting the apple itch very quickly. Thank goodness for this recall got me another 6s plus restored it an never skipped a beat not only is this phone paid in full but got money back also. No intention of looking at new iPhone 7 but the headphone jack is a deal breaker for me love the cables just to lazy to recharge blue tooth ones. Sorry for long post but it was a great device no doubt about it but 5 seconds to get from home button to home screen was unacceptable.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I stay with iOS simple because it works for me and stays working. That's not to say I don't enjoy Android as well, I'm just not a Samsung fan, at all.

Chuck_loads

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I am glad to be back I do like samsung my fav phone of all time was the note 4 an all it's gizmos but marshmellow killed it. Now 6s plus took that title everything is so much smoother even though the note has a better screen things look better on apple imho as far as the apps an internet use. Now it's time to expand my horizons gotta invest in a ipad or mac still have a 6 year old dell laptop that won't quit.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
My story is very similar to the op. Started out with android. Moved to iOS. Never looked back until recently. Note 7 sounded amazing so I preordered it. Recall aside, it lived up to its hype. Best display I've ever seen on a phone and Samsung Pay is freakin awesome. Probably the most beautiful device I've seen. Once the battery situation is worked out, I believe that phone is going to be a big winner for Samsung. So why did I come back? There were a few things lacking for how I use my phone. I couldn't get ok Google to work from being asleep unless the device was plugged in. I often use Siri for directions or to read a text while I'm driving and I don't have to look at the phone or do anything special to activate her except to call out her name.
I play scrabble a lot and having to watch an ad after every turn was somewhat cumbersome.
The fingerprint scanner is miles ahead on the iPhone. Samsung has improved quite a bit from the old style where you had to swipe your finger over the sensor, but most of the time I got several errors before it would recognize my print or I'd have to enter my pin. Also several iOS apps that allow fingerprint to access are only password accessible through android.
Then there's the battery. My 6s plus kills it on battery. I had to charge the note 2-3 times a day to make it last till bedtime. Thankfully the fast charge capabilities made that part of it relatively painless. What sucked though was having to plan my day around when to top off so I wouldn't run out.
Bottom line: Note 7 is an incredible phone if you love the android experience. However, if you are pretty comfortable with the iOS experience, it may be best to keep your happy tail parked right here.

godspeed87

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I've got a similar story. Let's start with a bit of history first : I owned every iPhone starting from the original one up to 5. I was not impressed with 5, so I went to Android land for few years and then came back when 6/6+ was released. I went from 6+ to Note 7 for 2 weeks. Well, Note 7 is a great phone, but :
- android Bluetooth is PITA, I couldn't make it talk to Google Now using my car(2016 Honda Civic). I tried everything! It looks like Google just doesn't care to update their protocol. With my old 6+ I only paired it once and it was done. Dealbreaker for me - I use Siri a lot in my car and I can't wait for third party apps integration.
- stuttering and hiccups(especially in Chrome). That alone drove me nuts. I disabled like every little bloatware Samsung put into Note and it still was laggy. - a lot of ghost touches on edges even with a case on. I got better at it, but I still wish they released one with flat screen.
- software design and UI design still quite far behind Apple. No news here, android still looks non-uniform.
- quality and optimization of apps is trash, end of story.
- fingerprint scanner is just ok. Sometimes it couldn't recognize my finger because of positioning. Never happened to me on my old 6+
- battery life could be better. Yeah, you could charge it fast and it has wireless charging(something I really love about Android phones), but it's not near as reliable as my old 6+.
I really wanted to keep Note. I honestly tried. I love camera, screen(not edges though), ergonomics and open-source nature of Android, but Apple's software design and quality off apps brought me back. Returned it yesterday and picked up pretty much brand new 6S+ off Craigslist. I always buy phones outright, so waiting for iPhone 7 Pro is not on my list - I simply can't go back to screen that is smaller than 5.5 inches, so 7 Pro(or Plus) is the only way to go and simply don't have cash to buy it outright. I always buy my iPhones in the fall when the new one is released - you could pick them up for cheap, so the cost of upgrade is very reasonable.

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
While I tried an iPad Mini 2 for a week, I've been an Android user since 2010 or so. Lately though, I just haven't really been happy with my Android devices and I kept switching from phone to phone; trying to find what worked for me.

With the Note 7 recall being the final straw, I decided to reach out to my carrier and switch out to an iPhone 6S Plus. Said phone should be arriving within a week and I can't wait!

It's pretty bad when a $1000 (CAD) phone lags and stutters as much as the Note 7 did, and I hated having to always manually set up my apps again after a restore to a new device (and how long it would take just to download the apps themselves from Google Play). I may not be a fan of iTunes, but at least you can easily back up an iOS device without jailbreaking it!

I'm a little nervous having to re-learn everything again, but I think overall I should end up being happier with iOS. I'll hang onto my Android tablet for now just in case, but I could easily see myself getting an iPad Air 2 or Pro 9.7 down the road.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
While I tried an iPad Mini 2 for a week, I've been an Android user since 2010 or so. Lately though, I just haven't really been happy with my Android devices and I kept switching from phone to phone; trying to find what worked for me.

With the Note 7 recall being the final straw, I decided to reach out to my carrier and switch out to an iPhone 6S Plus. Said phone should be arriving within a week and I can't wait!

It's pretty bad when a $1000 (CAD) phone lags and stutters as much as the Note 7 did, and I hated having to always manually set up my apps again after a restore to a new device (and how long it would take just to download the apps themselves from Google Play). I may not be a fan of iTunes, but at least you can easily back up an iOS device without jailbreaking it!

I'm a little nervous having to re-learn everything again, but I think overall I should end up being happier with iOS. I'll hang onto my Android tablet for now just in case, but I could easily see myself getting an iPad Air 2 or Pro 9.7 down the road.

Welcome to the land of blue bubbles!!

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the land of blue bubbles!!
iMessage? :)

Well, looks like my wait won't be nearly as long as I thought! My shiny iPhone is out for delivery. Probably won't be here before the iPhone 7 announcement, but I'm excited nonetheless!

godspeed87

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

Yeah, I did exactly the same - brought my Note 7 back and got 6S+ instead! Restored from backup of my old 6+ that my iTunes automatically did right before I sold it 2 weeks ago in about 5 minutes :) you just set up your phone once and you're done! At first I thought that 3D Touch is a gimmick, but it's probably is the most innovative feature in screen technology since Apple showed us gestures. Way more useful than edge panels. I'm also in Canada and I just used Apple Pay for the first time two days ago. Now I'm using it everywhere! Just waiting for Apple to add support to transit. Samsung Pay is on the horizon, but no dates yet. Also, I'm very excited about iOS 10 - Apple took a lot of clues from Android, while maintaining that Apple quality we all got used to.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2