Can an iPhone be mistaken for a radar detector?

normanhawker

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
A police officer pulled me over recently because his equipment indicated that I had an illegal radar detector in my car. I didn't have a radar detector in my car at the time. In fact, I've never had one. After searching my car, the officer sent me on my way.

At the time, I was using the Maps application from iOS 9 on my iPhone 6. Could this have been what the officer's equipment mistook for a radar detector?

bones467

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I would guess it was possible to pick up your phone as its sending a receiving signals to run maps. Never heard of this before though. How close did you get to the officer?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello! Very interesting but never heard of anything like this.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
This is very interesting, I suppose it could register as some type of radar device since it is registering with radars and gps signals.

Sent from my Super iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
No...just no. GPS receivers stand alone or in a phone are just that...RECEIVERS. They don't emit signals... smh...

And Radar Detectors don't emit signals either... There are devices out there that are radar jammers that can emit signals, and are illegal... the cop was likely fishing for a reason for a stop and made up the excuse.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
1. Impossible. Nothing in the phone emits a signal equivalent to a radar detector.

2. In most states, they are legal devices anyway, so he can't pull you over just because you have one (Unless you live in D.C. and Virginia, where they are illegal)

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
It must have been the burrito you were heating up in the microwave that was sitting in your front passenger seat😁

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Where was your phone? If you had it mounted on your windshield he probably saw it. I, personally, would've objected to the search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77