Am I the only one who can't hold iPhone 6?

DavidCalvin

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Dropped it accidentally almost, let me see, 5 times! And I just bought it for 3 weeks.:(
Am I so used to iPhone 5s? I'm actually thinking about taking 5s out again and leave the 6 Plus in the drawer instead.
I don't have big hands. Most of the time I can't use 6 plus with a single hand.
But it's just so inconvenient that when you are using the phone, no hand is left to do anything else!
And every time I used it with one hand I'm risking dropping it. And I did drop it!
Are you guys' hands big enough to hold 6, I mean, while using it with one hand?
Any advice to hold it in a better way?
BTW, will 6s be smaller? Really looking forward to that!

Guys, thank you for your ideas! I just did some research and collected some wonderful tips inluding yours here to avoid dropping your big iPhone 6 & plus! (PS: You can also visit my new thread here to see if any new idea will come out in its comments: http://forums.imore.com/iphone-6/328239-tips-avoid-dropping-iphone-6-6-plus.html)

1. An easy to grip case
2. A bumper, technically still a case but may look more natural?
Both the solutions are to add more friction between your hands and phone to decrease the slipping and dropping probability. But the problem is a lot of people would rather risk dropping their naked phones than dress them up with ugly “clothes". These users are obsessed with the natural appearance and the original touch experience. I’m unfortunately one of them. So I did some “deep research” for better solutions and here’s what I found really interesting:

3. A thumb extender. LOL :D
261iuzl.jpg

This stuff is more like a joke. Even though the Japanese girl is cute I won’t buy a plastic thumb. LOL. Anyway it makes me realize most of the times when I drop my phone, I was actually stretching my finger or adjusting my grip to touch some place far away on the screen. (Reachability is a good solution but still not that convenient and I just keep forgetting this new function) It’s the improper way we cooperate with iPhone that increases the risk of dropping. In this context, I found a cool invention in solution 4.

4. A “Halo Back”—the smart screen protector.
2re72na.jpg

It’s a total new product on Kickstarter that adds an invisible smart back button on the screen protector. I’m sure “Halo Back” won’t solve all these finger-stretching problems but it does solve the “back” problem in the right way. Swiping from left end to right can also go back but I can’t balance my phone in my hand every time I swipe. An easy tap on Halo Back would be much more convenient and also safer. It’s a cool stuff for me and I just backed it as an early bird!

5. A Bunker Ring-the "ring" to hold the phone.
ztvlv6.jpg

The “ring" attaches to the rear of your iPhone 6 or 6 Plus and slips through your finger when you're holding iphone. Seems cool and innovative. But I’m afraid it’ll hurt user’s finger after long-time use, not to mention it could even cause unexpected danger. I personally don’t recommend long-term use but it’s worth a try! I’m looking into the ways to get it.

6. A big change of ios.
2lnik50.jpg

Apple’s good at creating new things. As I’m not the only one complaining about the user experience here and there, Apple could probably consider making an operation system with big changes for bigger phones. I’m looking forward to that!

So what do you guys think about all these solutions? It’s really interesting to share my opinions here and I’m still waiting for some better ones from you! Above all, I hope it could last longer before I drop my 6 again. LOL.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The 6+ was too big for my taste... So I did a return/exchange for a 6... And I'm fine with it. The 5 now seems too small for my taste.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, how can any of us answer that? I'd like to think you are more than capable of adjusting your grip to hold whatever is in your hand(s). If it's a slippery issue with the iPhone 6 Plus then put an easy to grip case on it.

DavidCalvin

May 16, 2015
Visit site
The 6+ was too big for my taste... So I did a return/exchange for a 6... And I'm fine with it. The 5 now seems too small for my taste.

Guess your hands are big enough. But for me there are a lot of moments when I'm not comfortable using it with one hand.
Maybe I should have some surgery to elongate my thumb. LOL.

DavidCalvin

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't do much one handed use. Not even with my IP 4. A little but not much. I'm a 2 handed kind of person.

Wow it's good that you are used to 2-hands using.
I think I'm too used to one-hand using 5s. You know, take it out from my pocket with thumb on home button (during this short time the phone is unlocked by Touch ID automatically), and reply to some message with one hand and then lock the phone and put it back to the pocket.
With iPhone 6 I can't easily do that. Anyway, still looking for some solutions or just wait till I get used to 2-hands using. :)

DavidCalvin

May 16, 2015
Visit site
e back which provides just enough grip to be tacky to my fingers. I've adapted to using it one handed a lot of the time and is say I have average sized female hands. Sometime if I want a bit more protection I use the Apple leather case.
Cool! I think a good screen protector does help! I'm now actually looking into some! Thank you for your suggestion!

DavidCalvin

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Get a slim case or bumper.

I use my 6Plus without a case. I just have a screen protector on he back which provides just enough grip to be tacky to my fingers. I've adapted to using it one handed a lot of the time and is say I have average sized female hands. Sometime if I want a bit more protection I use the Apple leather case.

I just added some interesting solutions in my first post above. Check it out! :cool:

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I don't have a problem using the phone. I hold the phone with one hand and use the other hand to operate the phone. I've been using it this way for so long that I'm used to using it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidCalvin

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't have a problem using the phone. I hold the phone with one hand and use the other hand to operate the phone. I've been using it this way for so long that I'm used to using it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's really Good for you! I hope I can get used to two hands using soon! I also heard ios 9 is about to make some big change. Cool!

DavidCalvin

May 16, 2015
Visit site
And to answer your question about why dropping issue is connected with ios versions. For example, if I want to go back with one hand, I have to stretch to touch the back button or swipe from the left end to right. It’s OK with 5s but not with 6 or plus. I have to adjust my grip to do those actions, which increase the dropping probability. With two hands everything is fine but we can’t avoid one hand using situations.
So if iOS makes some changes for these situations such as: an intensive swipe of short distance in the middle of the screen and you can go back. Much more convenient and safer, right? But before that happens, I think I will use Halo Back which I mentioned above.
What do you think? Hope it makes sense.:)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77