How and why did my purchased ringtone disappear from my iPhone?

NickA

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't normally purchase ringtones, but it's Christmas and I wanted a festive tone. Anyway, bought one from the iTunes store, downloaded it and set it as my ringtone. That worked great. Now it's gone, I mean totally gone. All I did last night was reboot the phone. This morning when I got a call it was the old tone. it's not even in my list of purchased items, yet my card got charged.

This looks like a common issue according to the Apple forums. I'm just wondering if anyone here had the problem and if they solved it. Also, how do I get my money back! it's only $1.29 but it's the whole point of it...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Ringtone Gone

It could be that the owner of the copyright on the particular piece of music revoked rights for Apple to distribute it as a ringtone...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Many do seem to have that issue. I've been seeing it on other forums. It's apparently an iOS 8 bug. Apple is aware of it and is working on a fix. In the future, be sure to sync purchased ringtones to iTunes. Ringtones and audio books are not listed in a purchased list. You can only download them once. If you lose one, it's gone and you can't recover it, unless you have it synced to iTunes. Someone said there's a "Tones" section to store those in. Don't know what else to say. You can try calling or emailing iTunes.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

I've run into the exact same issue. Widely reported to be an iOS bug. Hopefully will be fixed in the next update.

FrankRow

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site

Hi, same just happened to me. I purchased a ring tone over the weekend and now it's gone. I did do a reboot and it's gone now. How do you sync ringtones to icloud or get them backed up to icloud? I don't see an option to add it to the back up.

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

I've created my own ringtones and they're saved on iTunes. It's a bummer that iOS 8 had a glitch, but making your own will at least guarantee them to stick around. Here's a method I like.

wyodriver

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site

If you've already purchased the tone, don't purchase it again! The emailed receipt from iTunes has a link to report problems with stuff you've purchased already. Through that you can re-download your stuff without having to buy it again.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

I've created my own ringtones and they're saved on iTunes. It's a bummer that iOS 8 had a glitch, but making your own will at least guarantee them to stick around. Here's a method I like.

That's what I do also, little extra work, but like you say there always there.

Sent from my wrapped in leather iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
iOS 8.1.2 has been released. It includes bug fixes and addresses a problem where ringtones purchased through the iTunes Store may have been removed from your device. To restore these ringtones, visit the link below from your iOS device.

itunes.com/restore-tones

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Just to reiterate what Hank was saying: Use your iOS device for this link (itunes.com/restore-tones), not your desktop computer. You will then receive a notification when the tones are ready.

Fixitlady

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
I did this and it worked, I got back my previously purchased ringtone, but.....it also redownloaded all of the ringtones that I didn't lose, so now I have duplicates of everything. Will they go away at some point?

Thanks

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77